Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM

309 posts, read 830,814 times

Advertisements

I beg to differ that the chain department stores carry the same merchandise whether in Manassas, Tysons, etc. I don't get to Tyson's that often, but do go to the two Macy's in Fair Oaks and in Manassas. Recently we met a family member near her house at Wheaton Mall. I was stunned that the merchandise was more abundant (given the same space as FO) and diverse. Dept stores definitely tailor their merchandise to location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 01:57 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,902,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What's wrong with spending money, anyway? We have money, we spend it on the things that give us joy. What are we supposed to do, squirrel it away under a mattress? Like a lot of you I don't care much about clothes, but I have other things I spend money on. I happily spend lots of money for concert tickets. I just bought a big house, too. If that makes me materialistic, so what?
I've worked in finance for three years and have seen things folks do with money and buying (expensive) clothes is one of the worst things you can do with it. Clothes are a depreciating asset so it just flat out don't make sense to sink $100 for a coach or coogi t-shirt. A lot of customers who complain they can't get loans with my employer are the same ones who come in every day with bags from Macy's and other stores in the Ballston Mall. Co-incidence anyone?

I just think there is WAY too much value on impressing other people with what you have in NoVA. I'm really happy that in just over a month I won't have to look at a Mercedes, BMW, Coach bag, etc every time I turn around due to my move to Ft. Knox.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,177,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
I beg to differ that the chain department stores carry the same merchandise whether in Manassas, Tysons, etc. .
Not to mention the ones in Richmond. Despite these claims that everyone in Richmond makes their own clothes or shops at discount boutiques, there are plenty of Nordstroms and Ann Taylors there and they seem to have planty of business.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,177,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I've worked in finance for three years and have seen things folks do with money and buying (expensive) clothes is one of the worst things you can do with it. Clothes are a depreciating asset so it just flat out don't make sense to sink $100 for a coach or coogi t-shirt.
I totally agree. I guess if you love clothes, then it's ok to spend money on them. Just like it's ok to spend money on an expensive meal if you really love gourmet food. But it's a dumb investment, and doesn't impress people in this part of the world that much (IMO). Now if you live in SF or NYC, you need expensive clothes.

ps. Alanboy, don't be so sure that you won't see Mercedes, BMW, or Coach bags in Fort Knox. Luxury goods can be found everywhere.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,496,616 times
I agree that the stores do tailor their merchandise to some extent, but a basic store like a Sears, J.C. Penney, or Kohl's seem to be more uniform in their offerings.

Macy's carries an array of merchandise, and does tailor their stock to the store, since what they carry in the NYC region is different than other areas of the country. And, in LA, the separate mens store carries a diversity of merchandise, including some more expensive labels that are more varied than their offerings in the suburban DC stores.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 PM

982 posts, read 3,494,997 times
People are no more materialistic here than they are anywhere else. Being the mother of a teen girl, I see that type of behavior more in her age group than amongst adults.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 PM

15,474 posts, read 25,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe that's how it is down in Richmond. Up here in Nova, I drive a Prius and wear clothes from Macys and Sears. If everyone wears designer clothes, then who's shopping at all the malls? Somebody sure seems to be keeping them in business.
To me that's materialistic. I drive an old Dodge and buy clothes at GoodWill and other similar thrift stores. They do sometimes have designer clothes. (it's true, but I'm just kidding you about the materialistic part ). Nobody seems to care, and if they do then too bad!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,473,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe that's how it is down in Richmond. Up here in Nova, I drive a Prius and wear clothes from Macys and Sears. If everyone wears designer clothes, then who's shopping at all the malls? Somebody sure seems to be keeping them in business.
Were you and I separated at birth?

I think there's quite a mix here. There are many people who work at non-profits, hospitals, academic institutions, etc. Many of them (and many people who don't work for these orgs.) could not care less about flashy cars and $1000+ outfits--or may even disapprove of them.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,473,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I totally agree. I guess if you love clothes, then it's ok to spend money on them. Just like it's ok to spend money on an expensive meal if you really love gourmet food. But it's a dumb investment, and doesn't impress people in this part of the world that much (IMO). Now if you live in SF or NYC, you need expensive clothes.

ps. Alanboy, don't be so sure that you won't see Mercedes, BMW, or Coach bags in Fort Knox. Luxury goods can be found everywhere.
A minor quibble - a classic Coach bag will last you 20 years if you take care of it. I am not talking about their latest (highly profitable) venture into trendy stuff (e.g., a $450 purse with bright printed colors) but the more boring, simple, traditional bags in black or brown leather. It is cheaper to buy one or two of these bags and use them for years, than to buy bags that cost far less but break or wear out (or some people get tired of) in the 2nd year of use. This was a mentality a lot of people adopted in the 80s but seems less popular these days universally - not unique to NoVA.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:10 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,024,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Were you and I separated at birth?
Hmmm.... that might explain the half photo that arrived wrapped in a note saying the good twin has the other photo. I'm your evil twin. Bwahahahaha....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia