Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,098,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
You said Glen Allen and you said "many of you". Somehow one post like that doesn't strike me as "many of you".
I only purported to speak for myself in comparing Short Pump and Reston Town Center but I don't think I was going real far out on a limb:

Welcome to Short Pump Town Center

Welcome to the Reston Town Center.

As to the follow-up posts, I'm with Normie. Many people in their 20s, if they've had a reasonably comfortable life up until that point, are of the view that everyone should enjoy the same privileges they've had, and no one should enjoy any more. It's not an entirely ignoble sentiment, just one that's difficult to implement effectively without eventually trampling on (or redefining) individual rights. If we were back in the 60s, the debate would be whether NoVa residents are "bourgeois," rather than "materialistic."

Last edited by JD984; 04-01-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,622,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Yes, yes, this is exactly what I mean. Yes, I love the places you mentioned, but why is so much of NoVA an upscale-retail-and-dining dead zone? With the way traffic is around here, you'd think that people wouldn't want to regularly devote three whole hours (and a good amount of sanity) to get to a fun/interesting interesting place to have lunch.
Kind of off topic but have you ever been to Shepherdstown WV?...for some reason I feel like that is your type of environment. I mean at least the kind you would like to see replicated in parts of Northern Virginia.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Kind of off topic but have you ever been to Shepherdstown WV?...for some reason I feel like that is your type of environment. I mean at least the kind you would like to see replicated in parts of Northern Virginia.
Not yet, but I really, really want to go. An acquaintance of mine used to live in the area and keeps encouraging me to do a day trip there, since she's absolutely convinced I'd love it, but it's kinda hard when you don't drive (and the only person I know very well with a car around here is the world's most unrepentant homebody).

Any public transportation options to Shepherdstown?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,956,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well I don't know about the other two but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. You have presented good evidence but what I see out every day disproves your points.
What you see and what you project onto those people. You have no real evidence of what their motives are for buying the cars and clothes that they buy. But you and the other two mind readers believe they drive cars and wear clothes just to upset other people.

Those of us on the other side know that's not why we buy what we buy. Sorry, but thoughts of you and RR just don't enter our heads when look for a new car or a new suit. We simply buy what we like.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,688,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
What you see and what you project onto those people. You have no real evidence of what their motives are for buying the cars and clothes that they buy. But you and the other two mind readers believe they drive cars and wear clothes just to upset other people.

Those of us on the other side know that's not why we buy what we buy. Sorry, but thoughts of you and RR just don't enter our heads when look for a new car or a new suit. We simply buy what we like.
LOL !

Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,458,796 times
wow I drive the Japanese SUV I want and that works for me and my family, I wear the clothes I want that I normally buy at the Leesburg outlets, I don't have any other "toys" other than a riding habit that my daughter and I have (but we do not own horses). Frankly I couldn't care less what my neighbors are driving or wearing. Is this a problem? Should I move somewhere that we all shop at Goodwill and drive rusted out Chevy's?

I guess my point is - WHY DO YOU ALL CARE SO MUCH ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE OR HAVE NOT?

Last edited by arielmina; 04-02-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Sorry, but thoughts of you and RR just don't enter our heads when look for a new car or a new suit. We simply buy what we like.
Oh Denton, we might as well tell the truth... there's no sense hiding it anymore... I think about RR constantly throughout the day and every single time I make a purchase. Oh BTW... is it too late to say April Fools?

Last edited by Caladium; 04-02-2010 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: On re-reading this post I decided it was too snarky

Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,186,149 times
I apologize if I'm reiterating a point here...but I think it may also depend on where you come from that might determine how you this ares. I can see how some people here who come from smaller metros that may be more economically evened out would feel that this area seems ostentatious. Coming from the Philly metro, I didn't feel much culture shock in at least that regard. However I'm sure if I moved to the New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco metros that I would find them rather materialistic as well. So it's all relative, I suppose.

If anything, I find this area can be "status-conscious" in terms of where one works in relation to the Federal Government or high-profile contractors. But as I said in a recent post, I guess I'm beyond the point where my peers are likely to be so concerned about impressing people with their possessions.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,740,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What's wrong with spending money, anyway? We have money, we spend it on the things that give us joy. What are we supposed to do, squirrel it away under a mattress? Like a lot of you I don't care much about clothes, but I have other things I spend money on. I happily spend lots of money for concert tickets. I just bought a big house, too. If that makes me materialistic, so what?

Why kill youself earning a decent living if you can't spend the fruits of your labor on the better things in life?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Why kill youself earning a decent living if you can't spend the fruits of your labor on the better things in life?
To better the world around you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia