U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 AM

702 posts, read 889,256 times

Advertisements

Here are two apartment complexes in Arlington you might want to check out:

Fillmore Gardens
805 South Walter Reed Drive
Arlington, VA 22204
703-920-5477

Fillmore Gardens is cheaper than most places because the buildings are old and not fancy, but in general I've heard good things about them.

The other place is new, just built, though I don't know anything about it:

The Halstead Arlington
1028 South Walter Reed Drive
Arlington, VA 22204
Phone: 888-404-7970

I drive by it every morning on the way to work, and it does look nice.

Both places are very close to each other, near the intersection of Columbia Pike and Walter Reed Dr. That area is not very exciting in terms of restaurants and other things to do, but it's not far from downtown Arlington.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM

8 posts, read 10,697 times
Thank you Jeremy! I will check those out.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM

116 posts, read 402,743 times
We used to rent at Idyllwood Towers on Pimmit Drive near Tysons Corner, VA. It is condos, but a lot of individual owners rent. It is 1 mile from the West Falls Church metro station. I wonder if you could find a 1 bedroom there for rent. I really like it there. It was years ago, but we paid $875/month and it included all utilities. That way, you are on the orange line and not too far from where you are going to work.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:06 PM

I appreciate the feedback about Idyllwood, I've found a few 1br's and will make an appointment.

Does anyone have any advice about the following apartments?

Dorchester Towers
Oakland Apts
Wildwood Towers
Park at Arlington Ridge
3001 Park Center
The Alexander
Braddock Lee
Huntington Gateway
Avalon at Cameron Court

I have looked through the reviews but thought I could weed out some of these with the board's opinion.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM

8,356 posts, read 19,356,478 times
Huntington Gateway is perhaps the most upscale of three high-rise apartments (also including Riverside and Belle Haven Towers) and rivals the Montebello condos if there are any owners renting. HG has a commuter shuttle that goes to the Huntington Metro station less than five minutes away.

The best way I like to describe Huntington is utilitarian. It's close to both the Metro and major highways. You're also close to the Old Town Alexandria (Huntington is actually in the county section of Alexandria) which is a quaint historic area of with many local dining and retail establishments.

However, there is not much happening right by you. The collection of shops along Huntington Ave. between the high-rises and the Metro are not that inspiring. You will find yourself heading down Route 1/Richmond Highway for your grocery and midscale shopping. Huntington is shedding a negative image of safety mostly from a decade or two ago. However, you will notice a new SFH community off Huntington Ave. as well a new condo building across from the Metro.

Another nearby alternative may be Belle Haven, on the east side of Route 1. The area is mostly condos, some of which come up for rent. The shopping center is convenient and will cover all of your basic needs. There's also a local short-route Fairfax Connector bus to the Metro.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM

How is the Van Dorn area? Specifically, I'm looking at Twenty-One and was wondering its reputation?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 PM

3,240 posts, read 8,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braish View Post
How is the Van Dorn area? Specifically, I'm looking at Twenty-One and was wondering its reputation?
It's in an OK area and the apartments themselves aren't bad. I've heard horror stories about the management though.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM

25,662 posts, read 37,461,484 times
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback about Idyllwood, I've found a few 1br's and will make an appointment.

Does anyone have any advice about the following apartments?

Dorchester Towers
Oakland Apts
Wildwood Towers
Park at Arlington Ridge
3001 Park Center
The Alexander
Braddock Lee
Huntington Gateway
Avalon at Cameron Court

I have looked through the reviews but thought I could weed out some of these with the board's opinion.
Out of that list Braddock Lee is my favorite. The area is clean and quiet.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Found a place in Hunting Creek Condo's. It's right by the Huntington Metro and was wondering how long the morning and afternoon commute would be to the Courthouse Metro and vice versa?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM

8,356 posts, read 19,356,478 times
Quote:
Found a place in Hunting Creek Condo's. It's right by the Huntington Metro and was wondering how long the morning and afternoon commute would be to the Courthouse Metro and vice versa?

Thanks!

You can check on the Trip Finder on Metro's website. Metro - Home page

Having done a similar commute, I know that you'll have to switch trains twice: from Yellow to Blue at King Street and then Blue to Orange at Rosslyn.
So you might eat up 5-10 just waiting around. However, the actual train time shouldn't be more than 25-30 minutes. So assuming around 40 minutes from door-to-door, that would be a rather convenient commute for this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia