U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 10,691 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance to your responses!

So I found out two weeks ago I have a job just two blocks away from the Courthouse Metro. My wife will be starting her wedding/portrait photography business while I take the Metro to work. We have tried to get over the sticker shock and accept the fact that living in NoVA is going to cost a lot more than in Birmingham. I've poured over these threads and searched until now I am in information overload.

Basically, any suggestions on where to live (safety a priority and then cost). It appears that Fairfax, Falls Church, west Alexandria and south Alexandria are our best bets. But my biggest concern is taking a bus to the Metro (so many people have said you can't depend on the bus).

Also, it seems like anytime you find a decent deal on a rental it has terrible reviews from apartmentratings. Does anyone recommend an apartment or condo to rent?

A big thanks to all of you. This forum has been absolutely amazing as a crash course in NoVA living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,700,108 times
You'll have to give us an idea of what you are willing to spend on rent or mortgage. Up here, your budget kind of determines where you live.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 PM

15,400 posts, read 27,169,328 times
The good news is that since your job is near a metro station, you could live a little farther out in a less expensive area and take the train to work. Not that anything out here is really "less" expensive, LOL.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm starting at $55k and hoping to pay less than $1300, if at all possible.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM

8,356 posts, read 19,328,314 times
You probably won't be surprised to hear that it will be easier to find a 1B apt for $1300 than a 2B... but it's not impossible to find the latter.

One exception might be Belle Haven Towers in the Huntington neighborhood of "Alexandria South" just beyond the City of Alexandria itself. I'm almost certain that you could get a 2BR apt there for $1300. Now granted, the apartments may not cutting-edge. And the neighborhood is more utilitarian that glamorous. But you would be within walking distance of the Metro. Old Town Alexandria is nearby and DC is not much farther.

Another alternative would be to choose one of the many apartment complexes along Columbia Pike in Arlington. From what I've heard and observed, the situation isn't that much different from Huntington...except that instead of easy access to the Metro, you'd have a multitude of buses to choose from to get you to the rail line.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,475,640 times
Based on what you said, I have a couple suggestions.
1. Hunting Point (a.k.a "hunting towers") You might be able to get a 2 BR for $1300, or slightly more. It is an older high-rise complex right on the southern tip of old town Alexandria. There is a bus stop right in front of the building(s), and the buses will take you to the metro station. You will have to transfer trains to get to Courthouse, so it could take you upwards of 1 hour on some days.
2. Huntington: There are a few apt & condo complexes around the Huntington area that are generally cheaper than Arlington or most other parts of Alexandria. Belle haven Towers is one of them.
3. Look on Craigslist for an individual renter... If you are in the right place at the right time, then you can find a good place cheaper this way.

I would also recommend that you study a map to get familiar with the area. It might help get your brain familiar with the area

Good luck

Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks so much for the responses so far. We're looking to save money and get a 1br. Couple of questions about the NoVA area: How safe are the Van Dorn st. and Duke St areas?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,721,842 times
In Fairfax, I might not depend upon the community shuttle buses run from some apartment complexes; however, if you're in the City of Fairfax, or immediately adjacent areas of the county where you can walk to a CUE bus stop -- that's a very reliable way to get to/from the Vienna-Fairfax Metro stop, so you would not have to drive and pay for parking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,721,842 times
Van Dorn's reputation is worse than the reality, but there is a trash to energy plant on Eisenhower Avenue, across from the station that does send plumes of smoke over the area. That, and it can have a very unpleasant smell in the heat of summer. Duke Street depends upon the area, since some are pretty nice, including Cameron Station, and others are older developments that have been renovated, such as Foxchase.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM

702 posts, read 888,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braish View Post
Thanks in advance to your responses!

So I found out two weeks ago I have a job just two blocks away from the Courthouse Metro. My wife will be starting her wedding/portrait photography business while I take the Metro to work. We have tried to get over the sticker shock and accept the fact that living in NoVA is going to cost a lot more than in Birmingham. I've poured over these threads and searched until now I am in information overload.

Basically, any suggestions on where to live (safety a priority and then cost). It appears that Fairfax, Falls Church, west Alexandria and south Alexandria are our best bets. But my biggest concern is taking a bus to the Metro (so many people have said you can't depend on the bus).
Congrats on your new job. I work in Arlington, not far from the Court House. I don't think there is any area around there that is unsafe, as far as I can tell. In fact, I've been up and down Wilson Blvd. and on parts of Clarendon Blvd., and I've never felt threatened or unsafe.

Quote:
Also, it seems like anytime you find a decent deal on a rental it has terrible reviews from apartmentratings. Does anyone recommend an apartment or condo to rent?
I can't tell you which apartments are good or bad, but regarding location, from what I've heard, the Clarendon metro area is a great place to live. It's going to be expensive, of course, but you already know that. It's within walking distance to the court house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia