Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,379 times

Advertisements

Am considering moving to D.C. area but see that costs are considerably higher for housing. I'd like a community close to D.C., on or near either the VRE/Metro, w/ walkability and a community feel (library, YMCA, downtown or city center). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Was thinking of Woodbridge but have seen other comments on that area already and I have already taken note of the Maryland tax issues. Looking forward to the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 AM

313 posts, read 553,277 times
OP, it would be helpful to know a general budget for rent as that is the number one factor around these parts for determining where you call home. The closer to DC the higher your rent is going to be and you will generally pay a premium for easy access to public transportation. It would be helpful to know what type of coin you're willing to spend so that people can give you some suggestions on where to look.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,939,434 times
A community near Metro or the VRE, with walkability, will not be cheap (it will be much more expensive than Woodbridge, for example), and it probably won't have the "community feel" you are looking for if you are thinking of older towns in places like the NYC, Boston, or Chicago metro areas. Easy access to Metro and walkability to amenities are on the short list for many house-hunters, which tends to drive up the price. Beyond Old Town Alexandria and parts of Arlington, most of northern Virginia is very suburban and car-oriented. But if you can provide some idea of what you can spend, whether you are looking for a SFH, townhouse, condo, or apartment (plus whether schools are an issue) you will get some good suggestions here.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,379 times
Thank you Badger21 and claremarie for putting in comments. My budget for rent/mtg. pymnt is about $2200. I am looking for a condo (not high rise)/townhome. I've been checking online and see possibilities in Springfield, Fairfax, the Del Rey and Seminary Rd. areas. Schools do not matter. It is more walkability or bikeability and mass transit options. Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:38 PM

313 posts, read 553,277 times
My budget for rent/mtg. pymnt is about $2200

You're gonna be living pretty darn well assuming that 2200 is just for a 1br. Honestly, take your pick of anything along the orange line in Arlington. You should be able to find a place very near (if not directly on) a metro stop with that type of budget.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM

837 posts, read 1,801,388 times
I'd say look at anything near the Clarendon or Ballston train stops in Arlington. I spent two days walking around that area and walked away pretty pleased. Only downside I did notice was what might be a high concentration of juicy pants and BMW driving 20 something girls with soy mocha non fat lattes, but other than that, seems nice.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM

71 posts, read 146,823 times
I lived in Clarendon for awhile, a short trip by metro to dowtown and a short drive as well. I preferred Clarendon over Ballston (less high rises in Clarendon) more neighborhood feel. Also Courthouse area you might find some good choices. It's a fun area lots of restaurants. Once you get as close as Rosslyn there are less places to go out, as it's mostly just office buildings.

Good Luck for 2200 you should be fine on a 1 bedroom, I rented a little house there for less.

You can always look up in Maryland as well, Bethesda, or Silver Spring, I prefer Virginia.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:21 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,804,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Only downside I did notice was what might be a high concentration of juicy pants and BMW driving 20 something girls with soy mocha non fat lattes, but other than that, seems nice.
You just described nearly all of NoVA to a "T!"

Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 AM

144 posts, read 334,396 times
I work in DC as well and commute from Fairfax VA. I'm a "suburbia" chick and I don't really like the Arlington/Alexandria/Falls Church "city" feel. I live closer to the Oakton/Vienna side of Fairfax and I really love the location. Its about a 5-10 minute drive to the Vienna metro and I take it all the way into DC.

The apartment complex is a couple years old and I really like the community around here. If you'd like the name PM me and I'll give it to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia