Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 PM

159 posts, read 443,814 times

Advertisements

The W&OD is good only in the morning during the summer. If you ride during normal business hours during the weekend, its like rush hour traffic on the trail. Its INSANE how many people there are on the trail. The best time to ride in the summer to avoid crowds are being done with the ride by 8:00am or going at night. I like to start before dawn. It is very scenic and nice in the early morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Is the construction actually interfering with the W&OD, or is the concern about having to look at construction (rather than trees)?
No clue -- I only rode the trail one time (and never again!) -- from Purcellville to Leesburg and back; that's how I found out the return trip is UPHILL! (I'll stick to golf and tennis for exercise!)

I drove my comfortable, air-conditioned car (wider seat than a bike) down Dry Mill Road a couple weeks ago and the construction equipment was everywhere. Looks like lots of trees are gone but I'm not sure if it directly impacts the trail other than seeing and hearing the equipment.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,007,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
I like to start before dawn. It is very scenic and nice in the early morning.
I would imagine watching the sunrise would be a real treat from the W&OD.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 15,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Is the construction actually interfering with the W&OD, or is the concern about having to look at construction (rather than trees)?
Yes, there is about a 3 mile detour though some neighborhoods right past Leesburg. Lots of mini hills on this detour but it is all paved.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,007,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brambletri View Post
Yes, there is about a 3 mile detour though some neighborhoods right past Leesburg. Lots of mini hills on this detour but it is all paved.
Hmmm, I might have to check that out. Actually it sounds a little interesting to me, something new to look at.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,463,468 times
how bad (crowded) is the W&OD out in Purcellville/Hamilton area on a weekend?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,156,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
how bad (crowded) is the W&OD out in Purcellville/Hamilton area on a weekend?
I guess it depends, but FWIW I haven't had many problems with the crowds on the weekends. However, I also like to ride early in the morning, so that may be a factor. Now on the weekdays you get aggressive people, IMO. I think some of them are riding to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia