U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Alright, just found this site, and looks like many of you are quite knowledgeable.

So here's my question:

I am a medical student at Georgetown and there are three of us in search of a place to live, preferably in Virginia, as the Georgetown rent has emptied our pockets for the last two years.

We started looking for 3bedroom apts, but they are definitely rarer than expected. We looked in Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, Rosslyn, Crystal City, and most recently Shirlington.

We are trying to stay around $3,000 a month in rent, which makes places like Rosslyn and Clarendon out of the question. Also, we seem to be running out of options by searching for apts through the usual massive apt. websites....

Aside from craigslist, and rent.com (etc.), what other outlets do I have to try and find a place to live. 12 month lease at this point, with potential to stretch to 2 years if the place is right. If I contacted a realtor to help find a condo/townhouse to rent, do I have to pay them to help me look?

We're all 26-28, and partying is fun and all, but 13 hour days in the hospital brings sleep to the forefront of our priorities over partying, so that's not really a factor in our living situation.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods (that are still roughly 15 min from Georgetown Hospital) that I have ignored that might be good options? Any suggestions on other modalities to try and hunt down places to rent??

Any advice or help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Straddling the Potomac
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,275,204 times
Three bedroom apartments ARE hard to find. Your best bet is a townhouse, and 3k will put you just about anywhere in NoVa, and there are any number of places to look. Travel time really depends on whether or not you drive or take public transportation, and when you travel. I have a hard time believing you can't find a place in your price range---are you only considering uber-luxury digs? Hint: The rents go way down as soon as you leave Arlington/Alexandria. Check out Falls Church or Fairfax County.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,984,746 times
A realtor would not charge you to rent a house, they charge the owner of the property.

Try militarybyowner.com, you don't have to be miliatary to rent from them. Select VA, then Pentagon as your base.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 AM

982 posts, read 3,252,095 times
I ran a quick MLS search and came up with over 20 properties. They're all 3 BR condos, townhouses, and single family homes in the cities you mentioned. I threw in Alexandria too, part of it is very close to Shirlington. Try homesdatabase.com to find the places I'm referring to. A lot of people don't know that real estate agents do rentals also, and it doesn't cost the tenant anything to use one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by des45 View Post
Alright, just found this site, and looks like many of you are quite knowledgeable.

So here's my question:

I am a medical student at Georgetown and there are three of us in search of a place to live, preferably in Virginia, as the Georgetown rent has emptied our pockets for the last two years.

We started looking for 3bedroom apts, but they are definitely rarer than expected. We looked in Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, Rosslyn, Crystal City, and most recently Shirlington.

We are trying to stay around $3,000 a month in rent, which makes places like Rosslyn and Clarendon out of the question. Also, we seem to be running out of options by searching for apts through the usual massive apt. websites....

Aside from craigslist, and rent.com (etc.), what other outlets do I have to try and find a place to live. 12 month lease at this point, with potential to stretch to 2 years if the place is right. If I contacted a realtor to help find a condo/townhouse to rent, do I have to pay them to help me look?

We're all 26-28, and partying is fun and all, but 13 hour days in the hospital brings sleep to the forefront of our priorities over partying, so that's not really a factor in our living situation.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods (that are still roughly 15 min from Georgetown Hospital) that I have ignored that might be good options? Any suggestions on other modalities to try and hunt down places to rent??

Any advice or help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Straddling the Potomac

Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,687,077 times
My friend just rented a 5 bedroom in Clarendon for $3500. I would try for a house. Using a realtor, craigslist, etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,886,081 times
don't forget to change your drivers license from DC to VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia