Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM

63 posts, read 220,517 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 5
She wanted to join the swim team at our local community pool in Loudoun County.

Does she need a swim cap? If so is silicone or latex better, or do you think the swim team will provide one? It wasn't listed as something to purchase or that it would be included. We had to buy a suit and pay a fee so far.

What do I expect? I have never been on a team nor have I ever helped out. Any advice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM

320 posts, read 712,117 times
The silicone is much better than the latex! The teams usually sell stuff (caps/suits/tshirts/bags etc.) with their logo on it.

Be prepared to show up early at meets and get a prime spot to set up your tent. Be prepared to help out at the meets. We spent 6 years on various swim teams (summer, high school etc.) and it was a lot of work but very enjoyable

Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,928,099 times
Yes, she should have a cap, especially if her hair is long enough to get in her eyes. Silicone is better but more expensive. Most teams sell latex caps with the team logo. For a five year old, latex might be best, especially if your daughter has trouble keeping track of her stuff. Two pairs of goggles, minimum, and tell your child that the goggles should either be on her head, in her hand, or in her bag at all times. It is very difficult to mark the goggles, so they are easily lost and accidentally or on purpose picked up by another child if they are left lying about.
Have fun! We used to live at the pool during our years in northern Virginia.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 AM

159 posts, read 374,609 times
If this will help, this is where I got my daughters (ages 4 & 2) swim caps and goggles.

www.swimoutlet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisplyr View Post
My daughter is 5
She wanted to join the swim team at our local community pool in Loudoun County.

Does she need a swim cap? If so is silicone or latex better, or do you think the swim team will provide one? It wasn't listed as something to purchase or that it would be included. We had to buy a suit and pay a fee so far.

What do I expect? I have never been on a team nor have I ever helped out. Any advice? Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,435,746 times
What to expect? Hopefully a whole lot of fun! We were heavily involved in summer swimming for 13+ years and loved it. Don't expect perfection, emphasise the fun. Join in on all the team's activities. Summer teams are wonderful because it's all ages. Some teams have "big brother/sister" type of activities to look out for the little ones. In any case, the little ones just adore the older kids. It's rewarding to see all the age groups cheering for each other.

Be prepared to help out. Swimming is one sport that needs MANY parents to run a swim meet. It's not baseball or soccer where most sit and watch. Sign up to be a timer. That's the easiest place to begin and a great way to meet other parents. If you're a number's person, you can work "tables" where they keep track of times. If you love being around the kids, the clerk of course keeps everything running so they are ready to go. You will also be loved greatly if you volunteer to work at the snack bar. If none of this makes sense, talk to the "team rep", or whatever the parent(s) in charge are called in your league. We LOVED volunteers!

Little ones starting out are so much fun to watch. Cheer for anything, just getting across the pool! What is amazing at this age is to watch their times go down. They "compete" (if you even call it that) against themselves, not the others. Most leagues have some sort of developmental meet where everyone can swim and get a ribbon. The little kids go for the colors, not the place. I'll never forget watching my 7 or 8 year old watch and actually pace himself at a meet just so he could come in a certain place to get that color ribbon. Mainly, just have a lot of fun. Summer league takes on a life of it own, or can, and before you blink, it's the end of July and it's over. Then the pool is deserted in August as all the swim families go on vacation!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,895,928 times
It is a Fantastic way for young children to become strong confidant swimmers. They have practice everyday (except weekends and meet day) for around 6 weeks. She is 5 so she will swim 25yds or meters (depending on the pool) freestyle. She may also progress to backstroke.
It is alot of fun...be prepared to Volunteer. Being a "timer" is great becasue you will actually get to see your kid swim. (mother hen or "clerk of course" is daunting esp for a first timer...)

Swim cap is a must. the team usually provide you with 1 and will sell other ofr around $5. Latex and cheap is fine...she 5. (baby powder the inside so it slides on eaiser...keep it on until she is finished for the day!) ALWAYS pack an extra towel and keep it with you. Hers will get wet, sticky, or food covered!

Have fun! My kids loved summer league! Miss it since moving...I grew up in VA also summer league youngster and went to to HS swim and coach a summer league!

Becareful...you can get sucked in and if you are too "available" will find yourself in charge of something next year! Yes...by Aug 1st you and your child will be tired of the pool.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,418 times
Default Swimming cap

Yes, she need a swimming cap. Normally the swim team sell these swim stuff with them logo on it , but it is more expensive. So you'd better to buy the swim stuff beforehand. And the silicone is better than latex. I have purchased a silicone swimming cap online last year from Sourcingmap.com, it only cost $4.99

Last edited by seasonnie; 05-04-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia