Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times

Advertisements

It's too hot to go outside. It's too hot to go to the pool! Any ideas on cool (as in air-conditioned) places to take my 1.5 year old boy other than the mall? I live in the Fairfax/GMU area, but will travel any reasonable distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
It's too hot to go outside. It's too hot to go to the pool! Any ideas on cool (as in air-conditioned) places to take my 1.5 year old boy other than the mall? I live in the Fairfax/GMU area, but will travel any reasonable distance.
The Air and Space Museum near Dulles. Kids love it, and they actually have a little bit of room to run around. The museum is free, and parking is free after 4:00 ($15 otherwise)

Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Local library. There are all kinds of programs and activities for kids including reading time, games, films, etc.

Also check out any classes offered by your County as well as the YWCA, YMCA, etc. Sometimes they have arts & crafts and other classes for the little ones, a few hrs in the a.m. or p.m. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The Air and Space Museum near Dulles. Kids love it, and they actually have a little bit of room to run around. The museum is free, and parking is free after 4:00 ($15 otherwise)
After 4:00, the lot has cleared out enough that you can park pretty close to the entrance ramp. However, I don't think there's any shaded parking.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
I sympathize. I am wondering where to take ME when it's this hot. I spent 3 days in the house last weekend because it was just too hot to go anywhere.

Doesn't McDonald's have some indoor playgrounds?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
There is some open play time at Mobu Kids in Falls Church or My Gym (Burke). Check Our Kids Activities and Resources - Your Link to Family Fun - for suggestions of other indoor places. I also have a 1.5 yo, but fortunately the older sister is around for appropriate play/torture!

GL

Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Can really ever be too hot for the pool???

Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post

Doesn't McDonald's have some indoor playgrounds?
The McDonald's at Fair City Mall has a toddler sized indoor play area. Across the street is a Chuck E Cheese which also has a toddler area and next to Chuck E's is a pet store with lots of adorable puppies.

My Gym and The Little Gym sometimes have open play times as well as classes and I think there's a Gymboree class close to you.

You could also try a nature center (Hidden Pond or Hidden Oaks) and/or a rec center - Cub Run has a really fun indoor pool.

The Barnes and Noble bookstore in the Fair Oaks/Fairlakes area has a train table and they also hold a story hour. Joe's Crab Shack (Fairlakes) has an indoor play area.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-23-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
I try to hit all the shady parks early in the morning (get there NLT 9:00 am). Ratcliffe and Providence in City of Fairfax, Kings Park Playground in Springfield, Burke Lake Shelter A in Fairfax Station, Lake Accotink and South Run in Springfield. My kids love Lakeside in Fairfax, but that's not too shady. They also loves Hayes Park in Arlington, but that's too far for me to go regularly. You can also go to Hidden Oak and Hidden Pond Nature Centers. He'll enjoy looking at the creatures and they both have a playground. There is a nice place with inflatables in Woodbridge, Kids N Motion. They have open play for small kids from 10:00-11:30am. That's a good alternative to Chuck E Cheese. We also make it to all the library events for their age groups at Burke Centre, Pohick, City of Fairfax and Kings Park. They are relatively close to where you are.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Doesn't Burke Lake have a great train that kids love, too? Or would that be too hot on a day like this?

BTW, I do want to give credit to cdmurphy for the museum idea. She mentioned it about a week ago, and that been one of the best tips I've read on this forum. Love it, been there twice since then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia