Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,496,653 times

Advertisements

I think Y'ALL scared away brymax :lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,009 times
I saw a recent TomTom study based on GPS data from their units in various cities showed that Seattle was the most congested city followed by LA. DC was 7th.

Having lived in LA, Seattle, and DC, I can believe it. When I moved here I heard traffic nightmares from the employees of my company. However, when I got here, I didn't find traffic to be any worse than Seattle or LA.

Bottom line, if you live in a city that is anywhere near the top of any various "worst traffic in America top 10 list", your commute is going to suck. Certain routes in LA are going to be worse than certain routes in DC and vice versa. It's all relative.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,308,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Ha...if you heard someone here say y'all, they were either another transplant or maybe a senior citizen. You may be in Virginia, but you won't in with cutesy "y'alls" around here.
A transplant? You're leaving out that they may actually be a real-life native that was overrun by the OTHER transplants to NoVA...

This USED to be considered part of the South, remember? ...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,706,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
A transplant? You're leaving out that they may actually be a real-life native that was overrun by the OTHER transplants to NoVA...

Yep, hence my senior citizen remark! This used to be the South, but it hasn't been for decades. Several of my teachers in high school were NoVA natives who graduated high school in the 1970's, and none of them ever used the word y'all. They are in their 50's at this point, so I stand by my senior citizens statement.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

For what it's worth Winchester, your hometown, is in Northern Virginia, and everyone out there says "y'all." That's part of the reason I want to move there. Y'all have such sexy accents!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM

528 posts, read 1,186,615 times
I (like a couple previous posters) recently moved to the area from NYC too.....and let me confirm it: DC area traffic is worse, and NoVA drivers are worse than Jersey drivers! Yup! thats right.

Traffic: I moved to woodbridge thinking it'd be an easy commute away from DC so that I can work in Stafford. Little did I know, I moved to a 3-11 shift. Ohhhh man is 95 south HORRIBLE at 3pm!

Let me compare my commute to a similar distance commute I used to have from Nanuet, NY to Clifton, NJ. Traffic could suck there as well, but you have options. OPTIONS!!!!
1) garden state parkway 2) palisades parkway to nj tpke 3) rt. 17.....(always bad traffic, but an option) 4) a combination of local and highway 5) NJ Transit, and 6) The Bus!
-Always an option. My commute at its worst was maybe 50 minutes to go 30 miles! no complaints.

Here are my options in NoVa: 1) Rt. 95...... 2) Rt. 1
Thats it. No VRE (nowhere near my home or job). No bus (that i know of). No alternate highway, no convenient backroads. and traffic on fridays has taken me up to 2.5 hours.

Drivers: Jersey drivers cut you off, merge all over, but they know how to FLOW! you can be bumper to bumper going 90 mph and everyones fine. Rarely do i see an accident, and people (for the most part) use their blinkers!
-Virginia drivers however NEVER use their blinkers. They dont know how to stay in a lane. They go slow in the fast lane. They basically STOP everytime theres an accident IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!!! and dont get me started on how terrible they are in the rain or snow.

haha im not angry when posting this, just fired up cuz im really gettting sick of living in the suburbs. I want to be able to walk to a job or at least take a train. Otherwise, i love NoVa. i really do.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,288,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
For what it's worth Winchester, your hometown, is in Northern Virginia, and everyone out there says "y'all." That's part of the reason I want to move there. Y'all have such sexy accents!

Hmmmm wondering if I need to leave my ya'll in NM when we move to to NOVA? I am originally from TX and use ya'll alot, now I will be thinking everyone is looking at me thinking I am a country bumpkin

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Yep, hence my senior citizen remark! This used to be the South, but it hasn't been for decades. Several of my teachers in high school were NoVA natives who graduated high school in the 1970's, and none of them ever used the word y'all. They are in their 50's at this point, so I stand by my senior citizens statement.
Ah gotcha... Missed that part...

Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
LOL!!! Well I know geographically we're "Northern Virginia", but when people speak of "NoVA" they aren't talking about us on the other side of the mountains...

Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,230,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I (like a couple previous posters) recently moved to the area from NYC too.....and let me confirm it: DC area traffic is worse, and NoVA drivers are worse than Jersey drivers! Yup! thats right.

Traffic: I moved to woodbridge thinking it'd be an easy commute away from DC so that I can work in Stafford. Little did I know, I moved to a 3-11 shift. Ohhhh man is 95 south HORRIBLE at 3pm!

Let me compare my commute to a similar distance commute I used to have from Nanuet, NY to Clifton, NJ. Traffic could suck there as well, but you have options. OPTIONS!!!!
1) garden state parkway 2) palisades parkway to nj tpke 3) rt. 17.....(always bad traffic, but an option) 4) a combination of local and highway 5) NJ Transit, and 6) The Bus!
-Always an option. My commute at its worst was maybe 50 minutes to go 30 miles! no complaints.

Here are my options in NoVa: 1) Rt. 95...... 2) Rt. 1
Thats it. No VRE (nowhere near my home or job). No bus (that i know of). No alternate highway, no convenient backroads. and traffic on fridays has taken me up to 2.5 hours.
exactly, traffic is so bad, because that area is landlocked and there are no other ways to go. i rarely experience the bad traffic, because I'm not on the road at those times and going in those directions. my husband usually doesn't, because he works close to home now. the first year though, oiy the commute was horrid from woodbridge to stafford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia