U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 AM

16,011 posts, read 37,715,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I lived at 510 S. Fairfax in Old Town several years ago. Being from the south myself I was the type to wave and say hello to the neighbors and people walking down the sidewalk. I have never been around a more distant and aloof group of people in my life. They looked at me like I had lost my mind. Sounds like it hasn't changed.
Actually I think you'll find the same thing in about 99.99% of all cities. Sometimes I wonder if 'The South' is an exception to that rule.

As a person who has lived in quite a few world cities and American cities...you just can't possibly make time and chit-chat with every single person you see on a city street...or else you might as well go homeless, because you're never ever going to get home going at that pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 AM

8,875 posts, read 11,172,675 times
In Bolton Hill in Baltimore which resembles Old Town physically, it would not be unusual for neighbors to chat on the street.

I dont know if its DC (but I think not, cause there are also subdivisions in Fairfax where folks would stop and chat) or if its cause Old Town being so expensive has lots of snobby folks, or if its just cause Old Town is a touristy/ night life area with so many 'strangers' - i think it might be these latter - and I suspect one could find friendlier blocks in Old Town, though never having lived there I cant say for sure.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 6,398,705 times
Quote:
I lived at 510 S. Fairfax in Old Town several years ago. Being from the south myself I was the type to wave and say hello to the neighbors and people walking down the sidewalk. I have never been around a more distant and aloof group of people in my life. They looked at me like I had lost my mind. Sounds like it hasn't changed.
I don't know about your neighbors, but those random people walking down the street in Old Town that you greeted could have been from Virginia, NY, MD, NC, TX, WI.... you get the picture - tourists from anywhere, not necessarily aloof Alexandrians.

I think part of it is that people walking in a city or large town don't expect to be greeted, and don't know quite what to make of it if they are, especially if it's not the case of neighbors but just people you pass on your way someplace.

My Alexandria neighborhood has many residents who don't habitually say greetings in passing, unless I initiate. But if I do greet them, all but a few will return with a friendly response. Now that I know more of my neighbors, I'm always having someone to wave to or exchange some pleasantries with on my way around the neighborhood.

I agree that Alexandria and NOVA in general don't have the "hey ya'll" standard that many places in the South do. And we don't wave at strangers in front of their homes as we drive down the street.

I wonder what the social habits of residents of Charlotte or Atlanta are. Or will Southerners say those citieis have been too changed by Yankees?

People who expect small-talk as they go about their business shopping, walking places, etc, and who expect a lot of social niceties and graces most likely will feel out of place around here.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM

461 posts, read 820,594 times
Quote:
If anything has changed, it's that they don't look at you at all. I was out on a quiet path on this very pleasant morning, and said "hi" to the first three people who I saw ambling down the same path. No hurry, no distractions, just people out for a walk.

There was no response. In fact, I never even saw the eyeballs on a couple of them, they were trying to look down so hard.

I was in the South a few weeks ago, and had to run a ton of junk through the security x-ray machine, with shoes off, etc. Talk about a hassle. A guy who was behind me had a ton of junk too, and he was empathizing with me in a very cheerful way. He wasn't too busy or distracted. When people talk or ignore you, they are just acting out their nature. It doesn't take any time to say "hi."

My heart goes out to Elizabethan. I think about moving back to The World all the time too, but there are too many draws here, primarily jobs.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I wonder what the social habits of residents of Charlotte or Atlanta are. Or will Southerners say those citieis have been too changed by Yankees?

People who expect small-talk as they go about their business shopping, walking places, etc, and who expect a lot of social niceties and graces most likely will feel out of place around here.
In Atlanta, I've had people make conversations with me at the gas pump on busy roads who I was guaranteed to never see again. I can name several cities in the South where I know folks will make conversations with you anywhere. Here I go again, but it's the places with a large Northern influx that are the worse. Raleigh-Cary for example (CARY - Cantonment Area for Relocated Yankees.) I hate that town.

I think it's generational. People develop their personality at a young age and keep it with them throughout life. They don't change much when they move.

I don't feel out of place here. What I'm noticing is that it is getting worse. Like the guy says about Michael Bolton in Office Space, "I'm not the one who s..." I wouldn't have called NOVA unfriendly in the early 1990s. It is now. The driving behavior has changed for the worse too, which is documented.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Moderator Cut

Last I heard no one was forced to live in Old Town. Any prospective resident will presumably walk through there and see what its like.

I am sorry you miss "the World". I lived in the South for 3 years. I didnt spend my time telling folks there why it was so terrible. I figured out how to leave it. Maybe you need to figure that out.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: edited out previously deleted quote

Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Moderator Cut

Last I heard no one was forced to live in Old Town. Any prospective resident will presumably walk through there and see what its like.

I am sorry you miss "the World". I lived in the South for 3 years. I didnt spend my time telling folks there why it was so terrible. I figured out how to leave it. Maybe you need to figure that out.
NOVA is in the South. I can point out that it's becoming Northeastern and lament the passing its Southern genteel nature. Many people who attack me on this topic are not NOVA natives either. Why should Southerners have to leave? I refer you to the Michael Bolton comment.

I won't be offended if you attack my points, but let's please lighten up and not get personal, all right?

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: edited out previously deleted quote

Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Did you grow up in Old Town Alex? Cause that is the place you are attacking with such vehemence. If not, you are as much of a non native attacking the place as I am one defending it.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 6,398,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
NOVA is in the South. I can point out that it's becoming Northeastern and lament the passing its Southern genteel nature. Many people who attack me on this topic are not NOVA natives either.
Speaking for myself... I wasn't born here, but I moved to Hunting Towers in 1975 at age 11, then on to the Ffx Co suburbs. Prior to that, I grew up in a small town in NC. NOVA even then was quite different from my experience of the South. It had some vestiges of the South - a fair number of good old boys, gun racks on pickups, Stars n' Bars (especially Lorton). Today that had mostly vanished, from what I can tell.

But I don't mourn it.

I also don't recall any particular Southern gentility about NOVA back then. Perhaps you are talking of an even earlier time, or I was too surrounded by military families who had lived all over (many in Germany, for instance).

Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM

23 posts, read 30,265 times
I want to personally apologize if i have caused any uproar from my post's.Don't get me wrong,d.c. and nova are great places for tourism,and sight seeing.There are many lovely places here.I think the thing that get's to me the most is space.I really can't handle suffocating living.I suffer with bad anxiety,and this causes it to be worse.

Since i moved here,my aniexty have doubled.I guess i am just a person that is used to gettting thier money's worth of a place to live.I don't mean living 50 miles from civilization either lol.There are soo many things that has changed in this world,and not for the better.I really feel it puts pressure on the region you live in.

I observe the stabbing each other in the back over a job,i see people bucking coldly for position,alot of women aheming thier boss's for a raise,the smirky snooty stares if you don't drive a mercedes/bmw,or bc you are fat,the constant plotting and planning of trying to run someone over due to some guy's that are egotistical d-bag's,dealing with uptight school administrator's,cold placent additude's from the soccor moms,the over sickness of working your finger's more so here bc you have to pay out triple the money for a outrageously over priced place to live in,the pressure of trying to keep your belonging's yours before punk's try to steal them/or break's in your car,the noise,the mental unrest,the uptightness,headaches,people riding your bumper just to **** you off,cold neighbor's,keeping up with the jone's fake facades,some feel the need to spell check or correct what you type/say.I feel it's not just certain area's that you live in that causes this,but i feel like the world has gone mad and turned upside down like a garbage dumpster.It's going downhill,to the point of no return.

I see kid's bumping thier head's to Lady Gagme,and parent's are ok with that,i'm not saying all.Whatever happened to parent's saying no?

These are a few of my concern's and dis-likes.I do realize alot of these things happen everywhere,even in the south,no doubt.I don't know,i guess i am just ranting a bit.Forgive me people,don't mean to stir the pot.Just talking out loud,thought's and concern's for the world as we push forward.I was told by my husband,maybe i should run for president lol.

Maybe i feel the need to escape to the country to get away from all of this noise.It is a noise soo loud,i can no longer contain it.Where did the time go when it was common place to hold open the door for a freind or neighbor?I do see small act's of random kindness,and when i do,it makes me smile,knowing that child was raised with proper manner's.I wish that there was a time capsule i could escape to,i whould personally choose the 1920's to 1950's,(excluding the wars).I do realize the world can't be all pink and fluffy flowers,i just wonder where the time went.The only way i am able to capture those moment's in time,is through watching TCM movies.I feel really at home when i watch them,my grandma got me hooked on them,and Golden Girls.

I hope some of my post made some sense at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia