Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,591,325 times

Advertisements

"This is related to something I was going to add on as to why people are more tolerable in DC (NW). It's a pedestrian environment (you park your car or metro for the day), has long setbacks from the street (unlike Alexandria) and monuments and green space that are good for the soul."

I find it as easy to park in old town Alex as in the pedestrian friendly parts of DC

I find the most attractive parts of DC are often the narrow side streets, not the avenues with long setbacks.

The parks on the alex riverfront are among the most spiritually refreshing green places in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,285,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Glad to hear it. Don't get me wrong, if you do decide to move here I'm happy to welcome you. But it just sounds like DC would be a much, much better fit for you. I have a feeling Falls Church will not be urban enough for you, and they have traffic problems there, too.
Funny you should mention Falls Church. That's the NOVA location that seems to be attracting me the most after all this research. Eden Center is there, two subway stations, and while not an urban place...it has its advantages for family living. Was just thinking if I do move to DC, maybe head to Falls Church within 5 years for better schools, etc.

Takoma Park...also seems ideal. Silver Spring within the beltway seems similar...even some of the residential areas have sidewalks and nice density to them.

I adore the architecture in DC...those large bay windows, colorful rowhomes, etc. I've just been leery of the crime since I have a family. But I'm seeing that prices throughout NOVA aren't all that different from prices in DC...especially if you factor in gas/car maintenance/subway expenditures of NOVA living.

(I should probably start a new thread for this).

Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

461 posts, read 911,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Funny you should mention Falls Church. That's the NOVA location that seems to be attracting me the most after all this research. Eden Center is there, two subway stations, and while not an urban place...it has its advantages for family living. Was just thinking if I do move to DC, maybe head to Falls Church within 5 years for better schools, etc.
The neighborhood tucked SE of Washington St. sort of near the EFC Metro station is kind of a best kept secret. Some older homes there don't seem tooo expensive, you can have an SFH with yard, be near the Metro, and near an area at least attempting to be urban.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
The neighborhood tucked SE of Washington St. sort of near the EFC Metro station is kind of a best kept secret. Some older homes there don't seem tooo expensive, you can have an SFH with yard, be near the Metro, and near an area at least attempting to be urban.
Looks real pretty in there as well - google mapping it. Sidewalks and a ton of beautiful foilage.

Okay, I opened a new thread:
Density/Walkability - MoCo (Takoma/SilverSpring) & NOVA (Alex/Arl/Falls)

Just so we won't detract from anyone wanting to talk about Alexandria Stinking

Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM

23 posts, read 35,128 times
I really like the Falls Church area over off of Hillside Dr.I drive through there alot on my way to Halalco meat company.Very sleepy little area,quite lovely.Only,most of those majestic houses are usually passed down through generations of family,i have not really seen any for sale.And forget about afordability,way too exspensive.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 PM

There are so many Alexandria gems, really. Another is the Mirant coal-fired plant where planning board wizards allowed tons of housing and business units to locate around. This includes a huge residential complex practically right next to the place. On crisp mornings, you can see the plant belching a huge plume of toxins into the air.

Complaints of health problems have been so bad that the plant is only kept open under an emergency order. I don't blame the plant, which provides electricity to half a million homes. It isn't their fault that Alexandrians were dense enough t move next to it, and besides, call it triage. Keep industrial plants in areas that are already a mess.

Check out how Alexandria has the distinction of making the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry:

ATSDR - Mirant Potomac River Generating Station, Alexandria, Virginia - Home Page

Last edited by FairfaxGuy73; 09-23-2010 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,244,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
There are so many Alexandria gems, really. Another is the Mirant coal-fired plant where planning board wizards allowed tons of housing and business units to locate around. This includes a huge residential complex practically right next to the place. On crisp mornings, you can see the plant belching a huge plume of toxins into the air.

Complaints of health problems have been so bad that the plant is only kept open under an emergency order. I don't blame the plant, which provides electricity to half a million homes. It isn't their fault that Alexandrians were dense enough t move next to it, and besides, call it triage. Keep industrial plants in areas that are already a mess.

Check out how Alexandria has the distinction of making the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry:

ATSDR - Mirant Potomac River Generating Station, Alexandria, Virginia - Home Page

And Arlington has a waste treatment plant. As I drove past it yesterday I thought I should start a thread "Arlington Stinks" because it does, literally. And yet luxury condos are being built all over the empty lots across Rt 1 from it.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And Arlington has a waste treatment plant. As I drove past it yesterday I thought I should start a thread "Arlington Stinks" because it does, literally. And yet luxury condos are being built all over the empty lots across Rt 1 from it.
He, he. Funny. I'd still give Alexandria some stink credit points for that too, though. It's on Four Mile Run, which divides that two. I"m sure some of the fragrance wafts across the run there.

Of course, I wouldn't want to waste the opportunity to mention another major beef about Alexandria. In the '90's you would drive along the Beltway past Alexandria and would be surrounded by trees. It was truly amazing for an urban area. Very soothing.

Then, at some point, they added cramped condo housing and other junk on the Old Town side of the Beltway. Now, you just look over and see industrial jibberish and some of the tall YUPPIE filing cabinets. Very ugly.

I'm sure it's the same old story (like the Four Mile Run and Mirant examples) where money rules all and they develop every last inch whether it makes sense or not.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,591,325 times
of course if you live in Alex, you dont have to drive past them. Seems thats more a disadvantage of living in Fairfax.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 AM

You know what, I'm thinking I might actually quite like Alexandria quite a bit. I actually like those little boxes that go as houses! I've ruled it out because assumed Old Town was too expensive, and from the sounds of it, a bit away from the subway.

BUT...how about that first station into Alexandria. What station is that...and how is that area? Hmm...it's got me thinking now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia