Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,249,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Wonder why they built the stations to Eisenhower and Van Dorn? Just strictly for commuters to drive and park...I guess. Do they have big plans to put a lot of development of condos, apartments, housing in there?
Probably because it's on the way to the Springfield Metro station - all part of extending Metrorail through the area (like Silver Line currently). It also followed existing rail tracks and rights of way.

The Eisenhower station also made sense because of the Army's (and other agencies') presence at the Hoffman Building. The whole stretch of Eisenhower has been eyed at possible development for a very long time and they've created basically a whole new part of Alexandria between Telegraph Rd and Old Town. The area between Telegraph and Van Dorn hasn't developed much. If you look at a map, you can see how Duke St and Eisenhower parallel; there has been a long-standing debate about whether to connect Duke to Eisenhower but I believe the "no connection" side has won that argument (I'm not talking about at the eastern-most edge of Eisenhower where they do connect, but nearer a midpoint, like where Quaker Lane comes down to Duke, or connecting Cameron Station to Eisenhower).

Eisenhower IMO is marred aesthetically by the proximity to the Beltway and the Cameron Run ditch on one side, and the rail tracks on the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM

50 posts, read 131,676 times
Rosemont (to the west of King Street Metro and continuing north past Braddock Metro until at some point merging with Del Ray) is nice. Lots of trees, young families, and very safe. There are some nice, small 1940ish row houses there (2 ba, 1 ba predominately) that go for about $475,000 (maybe less if they need a lot of work; more if they have finished basements or high-end remodels). You have to watch for them to come on the market, and they usually sell pretty fast. Rosemont doesn't have any commerical on its own but you can walk to Old Town or Del Ray.

West of King Street Metro, right around the Metro is commercial - hotels, office. There are also a couple of condo buildings. Once you walk a few blocks, a quarter to half mile, you'll get to some residential streets with older row houses. I've seen a few 2 bedrooms in this area sell recently for right around $550,000, but it would be rare to find something under $500,000. With a budget up to $600,000, you would definately be able to find a two bedroom in this area (considered Old Town) or elsewhere in Old Town -- I don't think the prices on "Upper King Street" are that much different from elsewhere in Old Town -- it just might take a while as the smaller places (still) sell quickly and you have to watch for them.

Quote:
Thanks for the great info on KING STREET. When people talk about high rents and housing in Old Town...is King Street reasonable? Or is it engulfed in the same 'high rents' region as Old Town? Sounds like a great place - near the station.

Wonder why they built the stations to Eisenhower and Van Dorn? Just strictly for commuters to drive and park...I guess. Do they have big plans to put a lot of development of condos, apartments, housing in there?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,405,899 times
Quote:
Eisenhower is not a park-and-ride. There's no Metro-operated parking lot there. Parking at Eisenhower is expensive on a daily basis. Huntington is the park-and-ride station on the Yellow Line, while Eisenhower is used mostly by people walking to and from the Metro. There are already many apartments, condos, and jobs in the area.

Van Dorn is sort of a hybrid. Some people park there, but the lot is small and fills up fast. There aren't enough spots for it to be a popular park-and-ride station. It seems like a large percentage of Van Dorn commuters ride the bus or an apartment shuttle to the station. While there isn't much that is walkable from Van Dorn, the densely populated Landmark area is within a 10 minute bus ride.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 PM

461 posts, read 911,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I'm of the opinion that the recent opposition has been driven by the city realizing the value of the Mirant land, now that gentrification has spread into areas where it used to be ok for poor folk to have a coal plant next door.
This may be true. Most of the talk that I've ever heard about it was in connection with building there. It's near Del Ray and would be a very sweet extension being located on the waterfront as it is.

Who needs things like power and agriculture when there's money to be made by pushing residential into every corner of NOVA possible.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
This may be true. Most of the talk that I've ever heard about it was in connection with building there. It's near Del Ray and would be a very sweet extension being located on the waterfront as it is.

Who needs things like power and agriculture when there's money to be made by pushing residential into every corner of NOVA possible.
There are better places for a power plant than the Alexandria waterfront. There really isn't a place for industrial uses that close to the metro area's core.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
There are better places for a power plant than the Alexandria waterfront. There really isn't a place for industrial uses that close to the metro area's core.
And yet there was a place for it before so many expensive townhouses got built closer and closer to it.

There is also the Blue Plains waste treatment plant, an Air Force base (Bolling), and of course, a commercial airport (DCA) all just as close to the DC metro's core. I would consider all of those to be industrial use, with their share of health and environmental hazards.

I'm neither here nor there whether Mirant stays or goes, but I retain my opinion as to why it's really become an issue in the last few years.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post

It would be nothing of an extension of Del Ray, as it's not really proximate, and Route 1 and rail tracks form a barrier. It would be a northward extension of usable Old Town.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 PM

461 posts, read 911,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Why not? We're the ones who use it. The air is clean enough. I'm sure we'd dump our car exhaust fumes into rural areas too if we could.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And yet there was a place for it before so many expensive townhouses got built closer and closer to it.
Sure. And there were also less people in Alexandria and less demand for housing at one time. If we're going to embrace shorter commutes and transit-oriented development, sprawling industrial areas need to move outward and be replaced by dense residential and commercial growth.

Quote:
There is also the Blue Plains waste treatment plant, an Air Force base (Bolling), and of course, a commercial airport (DCA) all just as close to the DC metro's core. I would consider all of those to be industrial use, with their share of health and environmental hazards.
I'd imagine the airport is just a bit more of an economic driver than the power plant is. As for the Air Force base and sewage plants, we've got a long way to go until that area is in high demand for residential and commercial purposes. If it ever gets there, maybe we'll be having the same conversation about those two places.

Quote:
I'm neither here nor there whether Mirant stays or goes, but I retain my opinion as to why it's really become an issue in the last few years.
No doubt you're right about that, but just because a bunch of NIMBYs reach a particular conclusion, doesn't automatically mean it's wrong.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:04 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,321,449 times
I just hope if there is infill within Alexandria, it mixes business and residential in a nice way...that makes more of it like Old Town - i.e. convenience without relying 100% on a car in the current era of zoning residences in islands of nothingness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia