Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM

461 posts, read 910,581 times

Advertisements

I see the Mirant site as a nice opportunity for a single developer with connections to Alexandria politicians. For those not familiar with the plant, the parcel that it sits on is roughly about the size of the footprint of a WalMart, including parking lot.

Someone pointed out that it's cut off pretty well from the west by GW parkway, and from what I remember, below it is also industrial. The more I think about it, it's pretty darn north of Old Town and pretty cut off from most of the area. Still, a developer could put in a place for chain restaurants with a view of the Potomac and make a buck.

I suspect that there would be a net loss of jobs and that consumers would pay the cost in electricity bills for power that has to come from somewhere else, and not a new plant. As mentioned, Mirant is trying to open a new plant, but it's been put off for two years due to a legal battle against it. Anyone got juice for 500,000 homes handy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I see the Mirant site as a nice opportunity for a single developer with connections to Alexandria politicians. For those not familiar with the plant, the parcel that it sits on is roughly about the size of the footprint of a WalMart, including parking lot.

Someone pointed out that it's cut off pretty well from the west by GW parkway, and from what I remember, below it is also industrial. The more I think about it, it's pretty darn north of Old Town and pretty cut off from most of the area. Still, a developer could put in a place for chain restaurants with a view of the Potomac and make a buck.

I suspect that there would be a net loss of jobs and that consumers would pay the cost in electricity bills for power that has to come from somewhere else, and not a new plant. As mentioned, Mirant is trying to open a new plant, but it's been put off for two years due to a legal battle against it. Anyone got juice for 500,000 homes handy?
The industrial area is pretty slight; basically a luxury car repair shop IIRC. Other than that, it's basically (more) condos, townhomes and office buildings.

I didn't know that Mirant was looking to move. That would indeed be good news to the "NIMBYs" as well as the theoretical developer trying to create another Indigo Landing-type destination. (I think something along the line of Morton's Steakhouse may be the only type of chain to afford that prime rent.)

Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I didn't know that Mirant was looking to move.
I didn't mean to imply that they were looking to move. They are trying to build a new power plant that would power 100,000 homes in a place called Cypress Creek, VA.

I'm alluding to another thread, but for those who like illegal immigration and sanctuary areas like Arlington, I hope they like coal-fired plants too, because we need to accommodate the growing population.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:20 PM

I wonder when the next mega flood for Alexandria is coming:

..COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM EDT FRIDAY...

THE COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM EDT FRIDAY. WATER LEVELS OF 1.5 TO 2.5 FEET ABOVE ASTRONOMICAL NORMALS WILL CONTINUE ALONG THE TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER DURING THE HIGH TIDE CYCLE TONIGHT. THIS WILL LEAD TO MINOR COASTAL FLOODING DURING TONIGHTS HIGH TIDE. HERE ARE THE TIMES OF THE NEXT HIGH TIDES FOR A FEW LOCATIONS FROM NORTH TO SOUTH ALONG THE POTOMAC RIVER...

WASHINGTON CHANNEL...1:39 AM...
ALEXANDRIA...1:57 AM...
INDIAN HEAD...1:25 AM...
AQUIA CREEK...12:11 AM...
GOOSE BAY...9:31 PM...
COLTONS POINT...8:21 PM...

Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,248,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I wonder when the next mega flood for Alexandria is coming:

..COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM EDT FRIDAY...

THE COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM EDT FRIDAY. WATER LEVELS OF 1.5 TO 2.5 FEET ABOVE ASTRONOMICAL NORMALS WILL CONTINUE ALONG THE TIDAL POTOMAC RIVER DURING THE HIGH TIDE CYCLE TONIGHT. THIS WILL LEAD TO MINOR COASTAL FLOODING DURING TONIGHTS HIGH TIDE. HERE ARE THE TIMES OF THE NEXT HIGH TIDES FOR A FEW LOCATIONS FROM NORTH TO SOUTH ALONG THE POTOMAC RIVER...

WASHINGTON CHANNEL...1:39 AM...
ALEXANDRIA...1:57 AM...
INDIAN HEAD...1:25 AM...
AQUIA CREEK...12:11 AM...
GOOSE BAY...9:31 PM...
COLTONS POINT...8:21 PM...
That's interesting. Makes sense...so when the Potomac rises...Alexandria probably gets it the worse in the area, I imagine?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's interesting. Makes sense...so when the Potomac rises...Alexandria probably gets it the worse in the area, I imagine?
Oooh yeah, baby. The streets near the waterfront flood real bad about every year or two. Just like the river lives there. I really don't know how the shops down there deal with it. Maybe the Po hates Alexandria too.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (WUSA) -- Folks from Old Town have learned to tolerate wet weather but a few drops in the bucket is about all most business owners can handle.
"When it rains it floods," says, Meseret Teclemarian, the general manager from Firehook Bakery.

City Of Alexandria Plans To Improve Flood Zone | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,846,811 times
This thread needs to be retired.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,834,657 times
I love Alexandria, but the City needs to stop building so many overpriced, way overpriced townhouses and build more affordable, middle class affordable housing. It is ridiculas! I love what is being done near Potomac Yards, but these stupid luxury townhomes and condos are getting old. I do not know too many people who can afford $600, to 800,000 townhomes. There are soooo many around Del Ray and Old Town now. The new apartments near Potomac Yards have about five affordable apartments inside a luxury building! I am not talking about projects, but regular apartments for middle class people, not these luxury places.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I love Alexandria, but the City needs to stop building so many overpriced, way overpriced townhouses and build more affordable, middle class affordable housing. It is ridiculas! I love what is being done near Potomac Yards, but these stupid luxury townhomes and condos are getting old. I do not know too many people who can afford $600, to 800,000 townhomes. There are soooo many around Del Ray and Old Town now. The new apartments near Potomac Yards have about five affordable apartments inside a luxury building! I am not talking about projects, but regular apartments for middle class people, not these luxury places.
This makes me suspect that Arlington may be owned and operated by developers even more than most places. Fairfax County has made some pretty valiant efforts to proffer for human-sized places even if they've failed. The most famous was when the county thought that it had gotten Lerner Enterprises to build regular (affordable to non-rich people) condos near Tysons Corner mall. Unfortunately Lerner found a loophole, built the huge condos and then gloated about it. At least FC tried. Doesn't sound like Ax even does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia