Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 02:44 PM

461 posts, read 912,450 times

Advertisements

Here is a map of the Alexandria flood zone. It's bigger than I thought.

If you subscribe to the global warming theory, the town is doomed. The Potomac used to be a free-flowing river like it is above Chain Bridge Road and not a tidal estuary. The tidal part like it is at Alexandria is caused by melting glaciers. Good bye Old Town for about 20,000 years.

Alexandria VA flood zone: Photos and videos on Google Maps, the WIKI-way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM

50 posts, read 131,748 times
Your map oversimplifies and thus enlarges the area. I would instead suggest that folks look at the City of Alexandria's website where they can access FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Map: CRS and National Flood Insurance Program | T&ES | City of Alexandria, VA

Zone AE is the 100 year flood zone (i.e., approx. 30% chance of experiencing flooding over course of 30 year mortgage). Zone X that immediately borders AE is the 500 year flood zone (approx. 6% chance of flooding over 30 year mortgage). The second Zone X is the area outside the 500 year flood zone.

I personally am outside the 500 year flood zone (but in the flood zone according to your map) and carry flood insurance. I think it's a good idea, and it's not very expensive if you are outside the high risk zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Here is a map of the Alexandria flood zone. It's bigger than I thought.

If you subscribe to the global warming theory, the town is doomed. The Potomac used to be a free-flowing river like it is above Chain Bridge Road and not a tidal estuary. The tidal part like it is at Alexandria is caused by melting glaciers. Good bye Old Town for about 20,000 years.

Alexandria VA flood zone: Photos and videos on Google Maps, the WIKI-way

Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,413,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I love Alexandria, but the City needs to stop building so many overpriced, way overpriced townhouses and build more affordable, middle class affordable housing. It is ridiculas! I love what is being done near Potomac Yards, but these stupid luxury townhomes and condos are getting old. I do not know too many people who can afford $600, to 800,000 townhomes. There are soooo many around Del Ray and Old Town now. The new apartments near Potomac Yards have about five affordable apartments inside a luxury building! I am not talking about projects, but regular apartments for middle class people, not these luxury places.
If they end up selling, then more power to them. We're talking about very desirable areas here. There are more affordable areas of Arlington and Alexandria if that's what you're looking for.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,362,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If they end up selling, then more power to them. We're talking about very desirable areas here. There are more affordable areas of Arlington and Alexandria if that's what you're looking for.
I've always thought of townhouses as about the most colossal wastes of money imagineable for a potential owner.

I mean, houses, you own the land...and as developers want land to develop more....you can make a mint - especially in areas like Arlington/Alexandria which seem like they'll only be going up. Location is always there, if you want to stay there long-term as well.

That being said, if someone could explain how townhouses might be desireable...especially at those high costs, I'd be curious to hear.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 AM

8,999 posts, read 21,249,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always thought of townhouses as about the most colossal wastes of money imagineable for a potential owner.

I mean, houses, you own the land...and as developers want land to develop more....you can make a mint - especially in areas like Arlington/Alexandria which seem like they'll only be going up. Location is always there, if you want to stay there long-term as well.

That being said, if someone could explain how townhouses might be desireable...especially at those high costs, I'd be curious to hear.
IMO it's a way to own a multiple story home yet minimize outside maintenance. Land is already expensive enough in much of Alexandria as well as Arlington. If one put suburban-style single family homes in Old Town Alexandria, for example, they would be worth well into seven figures; some of the exisiting townhouses are already at that point.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-03-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM

It's been covered before, but this is a quirk of the expensive DC housing market. Townhouses are where the middle class and upper middle class live if they value newer construction and shorter commutes. Recently constructed affordable single family houses within short commuting distance to DC simply don't exist.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM

5,389 posts, read 7,255,027 times
Quote:

If you own a SFH in Arlington or Alexandria, it is unlikely it would be zoned for multiple residences, which is what I interpret you mean by "land to develop more". Therefore, you're not sitting on something that a developer is keen on paying you a mint so they can split it up or stick a multistory condo building on. There will be people willing to buy your little Cape Cod to tear down and build a McMansion (subject to zoning ordinances, again), but such people typically are trying to maximize their return by not paying you a mint.

It's the people who live further out with an acre or so who may hit a jackpot when they retire and sell the property to a developer.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,362,577 times
Y'know, I'm gonna change my opinion about townhouses. I just started researching them, and they are completely different than I thought.

To me, I always assumed townhouse = condo. So, I just imagined high maintenance fees, etc. Browsing the DC craigslist, etc., they seem completely different than condos and without maintenance fees.

Is that correct? No maintenance fees? Are they basically the same as a house then...but you have shared walls? Maybe a bit less property tax, as your yard only extends in front of you and behind you.

So, is Alexandria the KING of the townhouses of the DC area?? Or just one of many places all around DC...?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
To me, I always assumed townhouse = condo. So, I just imagined high maintenance fees, etc. Browsing the DC craigslist, etc., they seem completely different than condos and without maintenance fees.

Is that correct? No maintenance fees? Are they basically the same as a house then...but you have shared walls? Maybe a bit less property tax, as your yard only extends in front of you and behind you.
Exactly. You just have an HOA fee, which you'd have in most single family homes around here as well.

Quote:
So, is Alexandria the KING of the townhouses of the DC area?? Or just one of many places all around DC...?
There's townhouses everywhere, but there's more of them in the closer in suburbs than in the far-flung ones.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,611,793 times
Quote:
Maybe a bit less property tax, as your yard only extends in front of you and behind you.
Real Property Tax, in every USA jurisdiction I have heard is of Ad Valorem. IE its based on the value of the house, not on the amount of acreage, etc. A TH assesed at $400,000 pays the same tax as a SFH assessed at $400,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia