Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,605,288 times

Advertisements

Note - there are few TH condos around here. And even rental complexes with sections of town homes. But most are fee simple - its just a house with a common wall.

In places like old town Alex, there usually wouldnt be a HOA either, IIUC. But in the suburbs mostly there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM

461 posts, read 911,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Real Property Tax, in every USA jurisdiction I have heard is of Ad Valorem. IE its based on the value of the house, not on the amount of acreage, etc. A TH assesed at $400,000 pays the same tax as a SFH assessed at $400,000.
If you look at the Fairfax County tax assessments, they break down the value of the land and structures separately. A couple of years ago they started valuing land higher compared to the house, but I don't think it affects the total value much.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Just checked out the prices of single family homes in the North Ridge/Rosemont area, and the single family homes available ranged from $529,000 to $875,000. The low priced one is a short sale being overtaken by nature complete with spider web cracks in the driveway sprouting weeds. BUT if you have $700,000 to spare and own a Pit Bull or a .40 Smith and Wesson, you too can enjoy the trendy lifestyle of this area. If you don't mind being several miles from the Metro and like to drive to work like any other suburbanite.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,237,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Just checked out the prices of single family homes in the North Ridge/Rosemont area, and the single family homes available ranged from $529,000 to $875,000. The low priced one is a short sale being overtaken by nature complete with spider web cracks in the driveway sprouting weeds. BUT if you have $700,000 to spare and own a Pit Bull or a .40 Smith and Wesson, you too can enjoy the trendy lifestyle of this area. If you don't mind being several miles from the Metro and like to drive to work like any other suburbanite.
I would predict that the $529K short sale was once worth at least $700K when it was in better condition. But even in the $500's, it's not exactly at a price point that's likely to attract troublemakers. And while I suppose the DASH and Metrobuses don't go everywhere in Alexandria, at about 15 square miles, there's only so far one travels within the city.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
...Alexandria, at about 15 square miles, there's only so far one travels within the city.
Yeah, including foot or bicycle bound criminals, which abound in Ax, to get to your house.

A run down fire-sale SFH, which could buy you a McMansion in a nice subruban setting costs you $500,000. Although even if you pay $900,000 in Ax, you can (or would be prudent to) be aware that crime is imminent.

I just don't get Alexandria. For someone who works at one of the nonprofits there, ok. But you get the disadvantages of the city without much of a business base.

Guaranteed whoever buys that shanty will be some pencil-neck who's head will be floating with pride over the run-down postage stamp yard he has.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 AM

855 posts, read 1,176,575 times
regarding your point about foot/bike bound criminals...you could say that about ANYWHERE in the NoVA area--since crime does happen pretty much everywhere. who's to say crime can't hop on the train and terrorize YOUR 'hood? no one.

presumed "safety" is always the easiest way to ensure you're a crime victim. It's 2010 crime is everywhere. NoVA is not a bubble especially not Fairfax, Arlington or any place in NoVA. and while crime in NoVA may not make the front page of the post everyday it does happen. be safe and don't assume you're safe b/c you live in "a McMansion in a nice subruban setting" in Fairfax or Loudoun...

Quote:
Yeah, including foot or bicycle bound criminals, which abound in Ax, to get to your house.

A run down fire-sale SFH, which could buy you a McMansion in a nice subruban setting costs you $500,000. Although even if you pay $900,000 in Ax, you can (or would be prudent to) be aware that crime is imminent.

I just don't get Alexandria. For someone who works at one of the nonprofits there, ok. But you get the disadvantages of the city without much of a business base.

Guaranteed whoever buys that shanty will be some pencil-neck who's head will be floating with pride over the run-down postage stamp yard he has.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,605,288 times
Quote:
I just don't get Alexandria.

Yes, we have figured that out.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,251,760 times
Quote:

Crime is imminent?

I'm walking and bicycling distance from Parker Gray. I've been in my house for 6 years, and haven't had one instance of crime. I even accidentally left my garage door open all night once, with its interior light on. Nothing was taken (and there's plenty to take). Not that I'd do that again, but still.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Yes, we have figured that out.
Woah. I used to think that my points were well-reasoned, but thanks to a one sentence personal attack, which took my words out of context, I've seen the light!

What I don't get is the amazing snob appeal that the town has*. For $500,00 you can buy a 700 sq foot hut with rotting wood that had external electrics added in the 1950's when they were still figuring out fuse boxes (i.e. fire trap). Some folks they let places like the basements go. You go in and gag on strains of mold worthy of antibiotic study, along with asbestos, and lead pipes and paint. Amazing how these structures haven't rotted to the ground where 10,000 generations of cockroaches have built networks of tunnels as vast as the underground works beneath the Paris opera house.

*To be honest, I intellectually do "get it" but just don't feel it. I know that there are people who think that living in a crowded, dangerous area and surviving is something to be proud of. They feel like leaving their garage door open at night without having something stolen is an accomplishment. This is not the case in many parts of NOVA.

It just has to be added to the potpourri and green tea crowd that many, many people in NOVA and the metro area do not own cars. It's a sad fact that offenses tend to be much higher among the desperate, who cannot bear the expense and often responsibility of automobile ownership. This is an important concept to understand because it is at the heart of how this region, and most regions, have been built. People moved to the suburbs to escape crime. While crime does travel on wheels too, a suburban (or business core in the case of the entire Fairfax County) setting with cul de sacs and acreage requirements really does retard crime. I remember a story a few months ago in NOVA where a person murdered two people in a quiet neighborhood only to be caught simply because he was witnessed walking through the community and looked suspicious. In Ax, half the population looks suspicious.

An automobile puts you in an elite class among the unfortunate in many communities with high crime rates. Although Alexandria isn't very walkable to the Metro or to many business destinations, criminals on foot can reach pretty much anywhere in the city.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Here's a marker. In neighborhing Arlington and just about anywhere else in NOVA, you can open the door and walk into a business. Only in Alexandria do clerks sitting at desks right in front of the door have to buzz you in. This is similar to high-crime DC where the rate of undesirables (criminals) is very high and you don't want them wandering in, because they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia