Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 PM
 
8,987 posts, read 21,209,994 times
Reputation: 3811

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I'm just saying that Ax has a poor design. The Metro is something like 20 blocks from the waterfront and the housing isn't especially near the small job base of nonprofits (generally near the Metro and waterfront). On the other hand, low income housing is woven in with expensive housing, which is the signature of Arlington. Sure, you can get on foot and go anywhere if you have the gumption due to it's size and density if you want to commit a crime. Doubtful that you'd want to walk 25 minutes every day to the train.

If I dug out the stats, there is a lot more crime in Ax than the lower density places like Great Falls or Clifton. Surely you aren't trying to say that crime is the same in Ax as it is in so many of suburbs of Fx.

In the '90s gangs in Ax used to go on "wildings" where they'd rove and just attack anyone they saw. The classic suburban style neighborhoods with 1/3 to 2 acre lot housing just doesn't have the density to allow for that, or for foot bound crime to travel so well in general.
I don't recall if it was this thread where it was previously mentioned but from what I recall was shared, it was apparently the NIMBYs/Powers-That-Be/What-Have-You didn't want the historical nature of Old Town to be affected by having pylons and tracks traversing through it. I can actually respect that. As we've discussed before, there are numerous buses that connect with the King Street and Braddock Road Metros to alleviate the issue connecting with Old Town.

There is plenty of housing in Old Town that is walkable - or an extremely short bus ride - from the businesses in that section of town. Granted, it's not inexpensive for the most part - the oft-mentioned Parker Gray notwithstanding - but it is downtown Alexandria, after all.


The City of Alexandria is indeed a city. I will concede that denser areas, including cities, are prone to attracting more crime. I would never compare Alexandria to Great Falls or Clifton in that way. But those towns would likely appeal to a different crowd. Thankfully for those who enjoy living in Alexandria, the wildings stopped long ago.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-23-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2010, 04:09 AM
 
461 posts, read 910,987 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The City of Alexandria is indeed a city.
I have to agree with that. While what should be a business center has become a touristy historic district, it does have employment and is a real place.

So much of NOVA is just a bunch of people running to work, the store, and home, with nothing in common other than a desire to beat each other out. How many people in a neighborhood go to the same church? How often do you seen neighbors at even the nearby but hyper-busy grocery store? I know there are exceptions for such a large geographic area. It's just disappointing that you have to go to an historic area just to get a real city because people stopped building them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 AM
 
8,987 posts, read 21,209,994 times
Reputation: 3811
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I have to agree with that. While what should be a business center has become a touristy historic district, it does have employment and is a real place.

So much of NOVA is just a bunch of people running to work, the store, and home, with nothing in common other than a desire to beat each other out. How many people in a neighborhood go to the same church? How often do you seen neighbors at even the nearby but hyper-busy grocery store? I know there are exceptions for such a large geographic area. It's just disappointing that you have to go to an historic area just to get a real city because people stopped building them.
I certainly respect your sentiments here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
 
461 posts, read 910,987 times
Reputation: 116
For anyone considering moving to Alexandria, you should consider the very high cost of the old and low-grade housing there. Fairfax County is more affordable in general and still close enough to jobs in Alexandria, especially if you can work out a good (often reverse) commute route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 PM
 
461 posts, read 910,987 times
Reputation: 116
Was just down at lovely Ax for the holidays. Even though the views of the Potomac are obscured until you are right out on the floodplain, the incessant 20 mph wind from the river that sandblasts your face with debris can really put a tear in your eyes. But oh, the romance of strolling with your love and taking in heavy metals from the coal-fired plant down along the waterfront is simply breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
15,162 posts, read 27,887,814 times
Reputation: 27317
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Was just down at lovely Ax for the holidays. Even though the views of the Potomac are obscured until you are right out on the floodplain, the incessant 20 mph wind from the river that sandblasts your face with debris can really put a tear in your eyes. But oh, the romance of strolling with your love and taking in heavy metals from the coal-fired plant down along the waterfront is simply breathtaking.
As long as you enjoyed yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,291 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
For anyone considering moving to Alexandria, you should consider the very high cost of the old and low-grade housing there. Fairfax County is more affordable in general and still close enough to jobs in Alexandria, especially if you can work out a good (often reverse) commute route.
I am not working in Alexandria, I will be working in SW DC. That is the reason I have been looking at Alexandria. At least they have townhouses. I can't fit all my stuff in an 800 sf box they offer in most of DC and Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,868 posts, read 12,590,501 times
Reputation: 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Was just down at lovely Ax for the holidays. Even though the views of the Potomac rise up and surprise you as you come to the most active, fun areas near the river, which seldom floods, the refreshing breezes and occassional dramatic winds that make your face feel alive, can really put a tear in your eyes from your sense of beauty and joy. But oh, the romance of strolling with your love down along the waterfront is simply breathtaking.
Fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
15,162 posts, read 27,887,814 times
Reputation: 27317
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 03:17 AM
 
165 posts, read 202,948 times
Reputation: 92
I'm glad that this thread popped up as I was just wondering about Alexandria. Does anyone know about the schools there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top