Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,867,208 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure the "poorer" people in Alexandria just cram 15 people into one single family home, so that they can afford it. A lot of them also live in the older high rises out by Landmark. Alexandria is overall an affluent city, not a poor city, but compared to nearby rich areas like McLean it's not nearly as rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So where do all these disadvantaged kids come from in Alexandria? The Berg's not that big and all I ever see on here is how expensive it is to live in the city. How do their family's afford it? One might start to think there's a lot of subsidized housing or DC like rent control. Are there a lot more low cost housing options (perhaps out West off Duke St.) people should be informed about when asking where to live around there?
If you mean Old Town, even after living there for years I never figured that out. I never saw any kids running around the town, everyone seemed to either be an old person or have a tiny baby, and they were all advantaged, not disadvantaged. Other than that one tiny housing project, which couldn't possibly overrun all the schools in the area, I couldn't figure out where all these poor people were. It's a truly hidden population, but they are certainly there. In the Fairfax county parts of Alexandria it's clear that much of the housing is low-income, so no mystery there. But the city itself has managed to hide its problem from the public quite well.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,956 times
Quote:
So where do all these disadvantaged kids come from in Alexandria? The Berg's not that big and all I ever see on here is how expensive it is to live in the city. How do their family's afford it? One might start to think there's a lot of subsidized housing or DC like rent control. Are there a lot more low cost housing options (perhaps out West off Duke St.) people should be informed about when asking where to live around there?
Three possibilities:

1) The low income housing on North Patrick St. and nearby
2) Arlandria - you see lots of kids there
3) Del Ray still is mixed IMHO -- it's very charming and some housing is upscale, but lots of streets still have run down (rentals?) houses mixed in with gentrified housing

Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
The city of Alexandria only has one high school, and even though it serves an area with a large population, it is pretty small with only about 2200 students. My area has around 40,000 people and 2 high schools that serve about 2400 students. My guess is that the families of many of students from advantaged homes are opting for private schools. It only seems like there surely must be a lot of disadvantaged families hiding somewhere given the percentage of disadvantaged students at the school.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 47,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
He, he. Funny. I'd still give Alexandria some stink credit points for that too, though. It's on Four Mile Run, which divides that two. I"m sure some of the fragrance wafts across the run there.

Of course, I wouldn't want to waste the opportunity to mention another major beef about Alexandria. In the '90's you would drive along the Beltway past Alexandria and would be surrounded by trees. It was truly amazing for an urban area. Very soothing.

Then, at some point, they added cramped condo housing and other junk on the Old Town side of the Beltway. Now, you just look over and see industrial jibberish and some of the tall YUPPIE filing cabinets. Very ugly.

I'm sure it's the same old story (like the Four Mile Run and Mirant examples) where money rules all and they develop every last inch whether it makes sense or not.
I used to live in an apartment building along "The Run" in Alexandria, and now live in Alexandria up the street from Old Town. pristine and quaint it was not, but I have to say a little off topic here that the fishing in the Creek there was awesome! Perhaps because it's a watershed of the Chesapeake, there are bass, panfish, even big catfish going after lures surprisingly, and a northern water snake that chased me up the bank of the water outflow at the plant one day. They kind of look like sea snakes actually, without the deadly toxin. You can see HUGE carp floating like Chevys all along the place in the summer months. What's cool is that it's shallow enough that you can sight fish and see what you're after. Just don't eat what you catch Take a picture and let it go, the place is just for fun fishing.

I've lived in this area for nearly 20 years, and did move to it initially because I thought it would be a cool place to live, and wasn't disappointed. There is ALOT to see and do, despite the cost of living and the traffic woes, and unlike alot of other places in the country, the museums are all free and have some great exhibits. Now I'm here for the work being in the IT security field, and because my immediate family lives a few hours away back in Jersey, but I will not move back there. I like Virginia better and do get out into the country quite a bit to hunt & fish. I have noticed a change in the area's topography since I've lived here, insomuch as there seem to be so many more people here now than back then and more keep coming for the work. Thankfully I don't commute very far to work or take the major highways, and work off hours. I remember though when I lived out in Fairfax and commuted into Arlington every day, and it was a life-sucking 3 hours in the car and on the metro every day.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:14 PM

939 posts, read 1,895,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako993 View Post
I used to live in an apartment building along "The Run" in Alexandria, and now live in Alexandria up the street from Old Town. pristine and quaint it was not, but I have to say a little off topic here that the fishing in the Creek there was awesome! Perhaps because it's a watershed of the Chesapeake, there are bass, panfish, even big catfish going after lures surprisingly, and a northern water snake that chased me up the bank of the water outflow at the plant one day. They kind of look like sea snakes actually, without the deadly toxin. You can see HUGE carp floating like Chevys all along the place in the summer months. What's cool is that it's shallow enough that you can sight fish and see what you're after. Just don't eat what you catch Take a picture and let it go, the place is just for fun fishing.

I've lived in this area for nearly 20 years, and did move to it initially because I thought it would be a cool place to live, and wasn't disappointed. There is ALOT to see and do, despite the cost of living and the traffic woes, and unlike alot of other places in the country, the museums are all free and have some great exhibits. Now I'm here for the work being in the IT security field, and because my immediate family lives a few hours away back in Jersey, but I will not move back there. I like Virginia better and do get out into the country quite a bit to hunt & fish. I have noticed a change in the area's topography since I've lived here, insomuch as there seem to be so many more people here now than back then and more keep coming for the work. Thankfully I don't commute very far to work or take the major highways, and work off hours. I remember though when I lived out in Fairfax and commuted into Arlington every day, and it was a life-sucking 3 hours in the car and on the metro every day.
I work in NetSec as well, and will be taking the plunge by moving from Tysons to the Old Town area in the near future. While my commute to Tysons will suck, I'm excited to be "in the middle" of it all if you will. I see Old Town as a nice compromise between the souless suburbs of NoVa and the actual city (DC). I'll be able to walk or take the metro to countless attractions, while still having easy access to drive to a big box store for my burb needs. I've been in Tysons for 5 years, so I understand bad traffic, and once you're in it for a while, you learn the back ways around everything. Hopefully 495 isn't so horrible after the hotlanes are completed..

Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM

270 posts, read 909,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The city of Alexandria only has one high school, and even though it serves an area with a large population, it is pretty small with only about 2200 students. My area has around 40,000 people and 2 high schools that serve about 2400 students. My guess is that the families of many of students from advantaged homes are opting for private schools. It only seems like there surely must be a lot of disadvantaged families hiding somewhere given the percentage of disadvantaged students at the school.
There are a lot of kids in Alexandria, surprisingly even in Old Town. South Fairfax and Lee Streets average about 15 kids per block. One block in the Southeast quadrant has 28 kids! North of King, a couple hundred children live in the Berg, north of that, North Old Town is a kid desert. There is a much larger concentration of kids around the Braddock Road Metro. Kids live throughout Del Ray, Rosemont, Seminary, Cameron Station, etc. and there are a fair amount in Arlandria, but the mother lode of kids in Alexandria is in the West End near Van Dorn. There are literally thousands of kids in this area. You can bet that's where a large number of "disadvantaged" reside. Alexandria's well-known immigrant-friendly climate might be fueling some of this. For the details of where the kids are:

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFile...F1_24000BL.pdf

In Old Town, Lyles-Crouch has a decent reputation so many parents have their kids go there. Many kids are also in privates. A lot of public school parents in Old Town flee down the Parkway when their kids hit middle school age. Some stay, but not that many. The parents I know are generally happy with ACPS, but that may just be because they are the ones that stayed. It makes for interesting demographics. Old Town has lots of little kids (the parks are filled with nannies and au pairs during the week) and a fair amount of high-school age kids, but few middle schoolers.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM

27 posts, read 47,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I work in NetSec as well, and will be taking the plunge by moving from Tysons to the Old Town area in the near future. While my commute to Tysons will suck, I'm excited to be "in the middle" of it all if you will. I see Old Town as a nice compromise between the souless suburbs of NoVa and the actual city (DC). I'll be able to walk or take the metro to countless attractions, while still having easy access to drive to a big box store for my burb needs. I've been in Tysons for 5 years, so I understand bad traffic, and once you're in it for a while, you learn the back ways around everything. Hopefully 495 isn't so horrible after the hotlanes are completed..
Unfortunately, 495 may be the "fastest" way to Tyson's Corner from Old Town unless someone else can ring in. Tried to think of an alternate route but since I don't do much commuting I can't.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,619,080 times
Find a back road over to the GW Parkway and head south

Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM

290 posts, read 548,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako993 View Post
Unfortunately, 495 may be the "fastest" way to Tyson's Corner from Old Town unless someone else can ring in. Tried to think of an alternate route but since I don't do much commuting I can't.

I live in Old Town. It's faster taking GW Pkwy N to 495 to Tysons. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia