Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM

270 posts, read 911,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Wow, Stormyskies - I'm sorry you're so unhappy! I love Alexandria, and especially Old Town. I admit I'm not sure I understand your comment about shielding oneself from urban experiences...don't really know what that means. I don't find Alexandria soul-crushing at all. I love the neighborhood, living close to the water, walking to just about everything, our public school, our neighbors, locally owned business and our nanny, whose language I have learned to speak pretty well! Different strokes, I guess.

JTC Mom is right. Old Town is a great place. Military-sized SUVs? Not many here in Old Town. Our streets and parking aren't a good fit. Tons of Mini-Coopers, though. There's at least one on just about every block. Look forward to seeing all the haters tomorrow on Lee Street which is so miserable, it's jam-packed with visitors every Halloween, looking for some Old Town fun and hospitality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,225,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethan1558 View Post
I want to personally apologize if i have caused any uproar from my post's.Don't get me wrong,d.c. and nova are great places for tourism,and sight seeing.There are many lovely places here.I think the thing that get's to me the most is space.I really can't handle suffocating living.I suffer with bad anxiety,and this causes it to be worse.

Since i moved here,my aniexty have doubled.I guess i am just a person that is used to gettting thier money's worth of a place to live.I don't mean living 50 miles from civilization either lol.There are soo many things that has changed in this world,and not for the better.I really feel it puts pressure on the region you live in.

I observe the stabbing each other in the back over a job,i see people bucking coldly for position,alot of women aheming thier boss's for a raise,the smirky snooty stares if you don't drive a mercedes/bmw,or bc you are fat,the constant plotting and planning of trying to run someone over due to some guy's that are egotistical d-bag's,dealing with uptight school administrator's,cold placent additude's from the soccor moms,the over sickness of working your finger's more so here bc you have to pay out triple the money for a outrageously over priced place to live in,the pressure of trying to keep your belonging's yours before punk's try to steal them/or break's in your car,the noise,the mental unrest,the uptightness,headaches,people riding your bumper just to **** you off,cold neighbor's,keeping up with the jone's fake facades,some feel the need to spell check or correct what you type/say.I feel it's not just certain area's that you live in that causes this,but i feel like the world has gone mad and turned upside down like a garbage dumpster.It's going downhill,to the point of no return.

I see kid's bumping thier head's to Lady Gagme,and parent's are ok with that,i'm not saying all.Whatever happened to parent's saying no?

These are a few of my concern's and dis-likes.I do realize alot of these things happen everywhere,even in the south,no doubt.I don't know,i guess i am just ranting a bit.Forgive me people,don't mean to stir the pot.Just talking out loud,thought's and concern's for the world as we push forward.I was told by my husband,maybe i should run for president lol.

Maybe i feel the need to escape to the country to get away from all of this noise.It is a noise soo loud,i can no longer contain it.Where did the time go when it was common place to hold open the door for a freind or neighbor?I do see small act's of random kindness,and when i do,it makes me smile,knowing that child was raised with proper manner's.I wish that there was a time capsule i could escape to,i whould personally choose the 1920's to 1950's,(excluding the wars).I do realize the world can't be all pink and fluffy flowers,i just wonder where the time went.The only way i am able to capture those moment's in time,is through watching TCM movies.I feel really at home when i watch them,my grandma got me hooked on them,and Golden Girls.

I hope some of my post made some sense at least.
I lived in Alex'r, worked in downtown DC, then moved out to the Blue Ridge 60 miles west of the city. Quiet, smell of cut grass, acres of pastures, drivers say "hey" to every car on the road. When I drove into town the air smelled like the exhaust from a greasy spoon restaurant and no one smiled on the streets. In DC everyone maintained their personal space and if anyone spoke to you, it was to ask for money. Tourists aren't there to acknowledge you but to see as much as possible in a limited time.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM

165 posts, read 203,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
I'm actually kind of disappointed Sandy did not wash Alexandria from the face of the planet. I agree with all the posters who note the anodyne, soul-crushing nature of life here. The soccer moms, the military-sized SUVs, the society-destroying embrace of private schooling, the projects next to the million dollar prefab townhomes collude to make this place represent the worst of American culture.

It seems that the Old Town thing especially is to shield yourself from as many urban experiences as possible whether it be knowing your nanny's last name to learning how to speak one word of her language to traveling by Metro. A sociologist would have a field day here.
I have to say that I can identify with the term "soul crushing". The place does tend to be dark, dank, cramped, and claustrophobic. Add the people, and it is Sarte's "No Exit."

Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,527,236 times
Am I the only one here who's enjoyed life pretty much everywhere he's lived? (well my wife hated South Arlington so much that it made life no fun for me -- but I think I'd have been ok with it on my own.)

Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,407,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Am I the only one here who's enjoyed life pretty much everywhere he's lived?
I think most of us are that way. I'm not going to say that life is always sunshine and rainbows, but I will say that when it hasn't been, it has had absolutely nothing to do with the particular town or city I lived in.

There are some people who are miserable wherever they go, who for some reason see their problems as created by the area they lived in.

Then there are others who legitimately dislike this area, rather than life in general. These people have three options: adapt, leave, or be miserable. In this thread, you see the rantings of people who have chosen option 3.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,274,035 times
Quote:
Am I the only one here who's enjoyed life pretty much everywhere he's lived? (well my wife hated South Arlington so much that it made life no fun for me -- but I think I'd have been ok with it on my own.)
I agree! Even when I lived in Tysons Corner, I thought it was pretty cool to pass 3 Fortune 500 (Gannett, Freddie Mac, and Hilton) headquarters on my jogging route.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
This archetype comment is getting worn out. The approach is: If you don't like an area, then you're a miserable person no matter where you live. If neighbors are impolite, then you are impolite and brought it on yourself.

I am happy where I am and have been looking into Alexandria. There area several reasons why it would be good for me to live there. It's just that the place is EXTREMELY expensive, cramped, and pushy for what you get.

I have been happy with places and not in others. This is separate from happiness in other aspects of my life. In fact, WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD IF IT ISN'T TO FIND A LOCATION THAT PEOPLE ARE HAPPY WITH? This implies not being as happy with other areas.

It might be better to talk about the town and not use this worn out, boring attack. Also, you are not a good person just because you are sanctimonious.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,119,008 times
When I think of Alexandria, I think of the Torpedo Factory, the Birchmere, a large stock of historic older homes, and one of the area's better weekend markets. Existential hell does not immediately come to my mind but, as they say, "different pitchforks for different folks." Or maybe it's "one man's heaven is another man's hell." Or something like that.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 PM

I don't know. I could see Jim Moran with his flaming red hair leading a troupe of hell's angels, including his archangel son poking the dead with in the bottom with his pitch fork as they march to cast fraudulent votes.

Have you ever lived there? I rented for a while in a trendy area. A vaunted park was about an acre in size and was mostly a muddy runoff hillside populated with invasive species and poisonous weeds. Everyday life was a struggle to find parking, including at home. You can't have kids unless you're super rich. This is because the much celebrated integration of TC Williams HS (see the movie Titans) was quickly segregated by liberals who insisted on putting their children in private schools. Social problems abound including those with honors students.

It's walkable all right as the Metro is a mile from anything. You can walk to projects and the vendors have to buzz you in to their stores half the time in order to stay out of U Tube victimization videos. Historic stock homes are those with generational layers of mold stock with dirty busted toilets and wiring hazards waiting to blow their vintage glass fuses before shocking and flaming your under-insured house. Then there are the snooters, and the angry people who have too little, or those in too big of a hurry with too much.

Anyway, I'm still looking. There are some nice places (hidden) off of Telegraph Road, believe it or not.

Sartre on Alexandria proper (well, he would have):

"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wives' tales! There’s no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS--OTHER PEOPLE!"

Last edited by BMOCCC; 10-31-2012 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: hubba hubba

Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,119,008 times
I think the corollary of being tired with the suggestion that everyone should be happy everywhere, or else they are whiners, is being tired with the suggestion that, unless one lives in a particular place, one is a hypocrite if he or she has anything nice to say about it.

I've never lived in Alexandria City. My perception is that most people would find it to be in better condition today than 25-30 years ago, and that many people would like it. I didn't used to have a favorable impression of the City - it seemed to me, heading into Alexandria from Route 236, was that much of it was run-down, and then you'd end up in Old Town, which seemed like a twee theme park ("Ye Olde Towne" blah, blah, blah). But, when I've been there more recently, I had a much more favorable reaction - it seemed like Old Town was a functioning, attractive area, and not just aimed at tourists; that there seemed to be more young families; that many of the other neighborhoods close by, like Rosemont and Del Ray, have some very nice housing; and that there had been sufficient development between Old Town and the King Street Metro that the Metro station no longer seemed stranded. But I can imagine parking could be a major pain.

From what I've read, there are people who are not super-rich who enroll their kids in ACPS. I see kids from TC at various local competitions and they seem like a diverse group. I have no doubt that some folks in Alexandria (just as in DC) talk the talk, but send their kids to privates when they hit school-age.

Definitely believe there are some nice areas in the Alexandria part of Fairfax County off Telegraph Road. For example, Wilton Woods - which is off Telegraph - is really nice.

Last edited by JD984; 11-01-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia