Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

939 posts, read 1,894,809 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I tend to like Alexandria City. It seems to have a bit more character than most of the Northern Virginia area, which is something that can only be built over time. I feel like I'm actually in an independently functioning society when I'm in the Old Town area, instead of just a suburb of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,237,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I don't know. I could see Jim Moran with his flaming red hair leading a troupe of hell's angels, including his archangel son poking the dead with in the bottom with his pitch fork as they march to cast fraudulent votes.
Jim Moran has a full head of snow-white hair, and has for many years. And you lived in Alexandria? When was this?

Quote:
A vaunted park was about an acre in size and was mostly a muddy runoff hillside populated with invasive species and poisonous weeds. Everyday life was a struggle to find parking, including at home. You can't have kids unless you're super rich. This is because the much celebrated integration of TC Williams HS (see the movie Titans) was quickly segregated by liberals who insisted on putting their children in private schools. Social problems abound including those with honors students.
If you drive around upper King St, upper Braddock Rd, and other parts of the city where the wealthiest live, you'll see a lot of Romney signs. Suffice it to say that many of the kids at Bishop Ireton, Episcopal, and St. Stephens/Agnes have conservative parents. Meanwhile, the public schools are getting larger and larger class sizes lately because more middle-class families are moving in and choosing public school. I have two kids in ACPS, both in TAG/honors. Their friends in school come from families with highly-educated professionals who care about education. What social problems of the honors students are you referring to?

Parking is an issue in any dense area. Many people accept the inconveniences as they are balanced out by other qualities. Most other areas of the City of Alexandria don't have a parking situation like Old Town. If you're a person who wants a driveway or parking lot, then Del Ray, Rosemont, and most other neighborhoods outside of Old Town have this.

The parks and playgrounds in Alexandria are quite nice. Kids love playing along the hillside at Windmill Hill Park, for instance. I wonder what park you are referring to.

Quote:
It's walkable all right as the Metro is a mile from anything. You can walk to projects and the vendors have to buzz you in to their stores half the time in order to stay out of U Tube victimization videos.
The Metro is near many fine restaurants and shops. King St west of Washington was improved over a decade ago. It used to be a stretch that wasn't equivalent to King below Washington, but that's not been the case for a long time. There is also a free shuttle bus from the Metro station to the river and back.

I have never had to be buzzed into a store in Old Town. Can you name such a store?

Quote:
Anyway, I'm still looking. There are some nice places (hidden) off of Telegraph Road, believe it or not.
If you like post-1950s suburbia, great. Different strokes for different folks. I grew up off of Telegraph Rd. It was really boring, for me.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM

666 posts, read 1,293,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Just an FYI for those considering where to move. What passes for historic in Ax is just ubiquitous red brick, mold spores, and 550 sq foot flats with lead pipes and rusty window unit air conditioners. In Old Town, snooty residents fortunate enough to own 3 sq ft of earth can be seen proudly watering their impatiens in the dank shadows of other unimpressive housing units. HUD projects abound with drug freaks just blocks from expensive housing. The town turns its back on the beautiful Potomac river, which can only be seen if you're either on a dock on in a single small park.

South of Old Town is the nasty Richmond Highway Corridor, which is a stop light garden abundant with dying strip malls. To the north and west, new overpriced townhouse gardens sprang up during The Boom, which are walkable if you enjoy sidewalks that lead 100 feet to nothing other than other townhouses with people as socially inept as you.

I almost forgot the worst part. Folks commute there from very high-speed roads, and they have the impression that they should be able to drive fast through town where people walk. It's one of the most aggressive driving areas in the region, and especially victimizes pedestrians. The police are as bad as it gets too, if you're a law abiding citizen.

Just being down there depresses me, which I why I'm posting to spare some of you. If you're single, move to Arlington. If you're gay, move to DC. If you're married, look into the NOVA exburbs. If you hate yourself, well, you know where to go.
Undoubtedly the best area to live in DC ares is west and northwest of DC. Central-West Fairfax, Loudoun and Montgomery. The "Prince" counties and Alexandria suck.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I tend to like Alexandria City. It seems to have a bit more character than most of the Northern Virginia area, which is something that can only be built over time. I feel like I'm actually in an independently functioning society when I'm in the Old Town area, instead of just a suburb of DC.
I agree.

15 years living in OT and it has a sense of community unfound in most other NoVA areas. It is also great that one can go into a restaurant or store and most times run into someone you know.

Also unlike other areas in NoVA, one can actually see where their property tax dollars are being spent. The streets, sidewalks, parks, waterfront, and bike paths are all well kept.

Matt

Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,826,289 times
Spent the day in OT today - beautiful.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM

206 posts, read 432,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Just being down there depresses me, which I why I'm posting to spare some of you. If you're single, move to Arlington. If you're gay, move to DC. If you're married, look into the NOVA exburbs. If you hate yourself, well, you know where to go.
I'm single, gay, and I hate myself.

I only live in Alexandria because it's convenient to my job. Personally I'd rather live in Fairfax. I don't see the appeal of Arlington and I certainly wouldn't want to live in DC. I rarely even like to visit over there.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
It sounds like there (at least in the last few posts) a difference of circumstances influencing opinions of Alexandria. One side seems to have the means to either live in or frequent Old Town Alexandria and one side lives in the more suburban Alexandria. Just something I noticed.

Personally, I lived in Alexandria for six years. Any regular can vouch that I hated the place. After living outside of the general area for two years and returning, I still don't think there is anything really special about Alexandria. In fact, I prefer Arlington over Alexandria mainly because it has more pop to a young professional like myself. The difference is I would not be opposed to living in Alexandria again if it made practical sense to live there, IE I got a job in Old Town or Eisenhower Ave and wanted to keep a short commute.

So do I think Alexandria stinks overall? No. Does it have less appeal than some of its nearby competition (ie Arlington)? Yes in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,278,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It sounds like there (at least in the last few posts) a difference of circumstances influencing opinions of Alexandria. One side seems to have the means to either live in or frequent Old Town Alexandria and one side lives in the more suburban Alexandria. Just something I noticed.

Personally, I lived in Alexandria for six years. Any regular can vouch that I hated the place. After living outside of the general area for two years and returning, I still don't think there is anything really special about Alexandria. In fact, I prefer Arlington over Alexandria mainly because it has more pop to a young professional like myself. The difference is I would not be opposed to living in Alexandria again if it made practical sense to live there, IE I got a job in Old Town or Eisenhower Ave and wanted to keep a short commute.

So do I think Alexandria stinks overall? No. Does it have less appeal than some of its nearby competition (ie Arlington)? Yes in my opinion.
I think Old Town in the past appealed to an older crowd but that seems to be changing. I see a lot more single 20 somethings walking around. The area around Carlyle now employs many of them. With the redevelopment of the waterfront I predict it will become even more appealing to younger folks.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,575,297 times
If you like urbanist Alex, there are a bunch of alternatives to Old town. Obviously Del Ray, which seems to get more "done" each time I visit. There are several urbanist places that are still a bit rough around the edges - where Del Ray shades into Arlandria, Pot Yard. The urbanist island of Cameron Station.

Then there are several islands of traditional suburbia around the city.

The only places I think are really undesirable are the pockets of 1970s tower in the park density - Park Center, Southern towers, Landmark. Though Park Center isnt that bad, really, and the other areas show potential.

One aspect of getting into biking - several of these areas arent as ped friendly as I'd like, but have pretty good bike access - they look more desirable to me now.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,217,300 times
Default A Sock Hop

Went to a sock hop at the Del Ray Artist House in Alexandria.

Price of admission -socks.

It was a "Socks for the Disadvantaged" affair.

So help me God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia