Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 29,596 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the DC area this summer and I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed trying to find an apartment. This is what I am looking for:

-Reasonably close (15 min drive or less) to Cameron Station in Alexandria (my parents)

-Reasonably close to Georgetown

-Extra points for any kind of direct metro access (if not, a shuttle to the metro would be nice). A newer building with other young people would be great too.

-Within a 5 min walking distance to stores, restaurants, etc would be a real bonus

I am attempting to find all or most of this for under $1400. I am quitting my job to start my own business and my husband will be supporting both of us - and my business - on his income. He's all about living as cheaply as possible right now and since he's funding the whole thing I can't argue too much.

I would LOVE to live in Shirlington but it looks like I will be just out of the price range. I know there are cheaper options right nearby (Parkfairfax) but reasonably I know we will never walk to Shirlington Village and we might as well just live somewhere a little further out and drive everywhere if we do that. It looks like we might be able to swing the Windsor building in Shirlington but I have read really terrible things and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I like the Carlyle section of Alexandria a lot but again, we are just out of the price range.

There's a building called the Alexander that is just outside Shirlington that might be doable, but again so many bad reviews online and it's not walking distance to Shirlington or metro accessible so I'm not really sure.

I was also thinking of maybe the Palisades area in Georgetown - it is a pretty area and you can get a lot for your money, but it's not really walking distance to M Street and of course it's not metro accessible. BUT, I guess cab rides wouldn't be crazy expensive since you are in DC and closer to things.

Can anyone recommend specific places? Thank you! Also, how negotiable are these buildings right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:33 PM

50 posts, read 131,643 times
You might look at -- Glendale Apartments. Meets all your criteria except that the units are not new and not in Shirlington (but you could drive there and they are on the same bus line if you were so inclined). In fact, they are pretty low frills. But, you'd come in well under budget. (also, you didn't say what size you wanted -- all units there are 1 bedroom)

Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,967,813 times
Take the reviews you read online with a grain of salt. The only people who ever take the time to write up reviews are complainers who want to "get back" at management. I lived in an apartment for 2 years without any major complaint, but the rating on apartmentratings was abysmal (30%ish)

I think there are comments on the Alexander on this board--you may want to search for them. Someone posted good things about it recently.

Another thing to do is to go tour the building, check out the unit, and quiz a resident you see on their experience. I was always happy to answer questions of someone who was looking to rent in my building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia