Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,186 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a college - I am a junior in HS not far from the GM campus - 4.0 GPA and top SAT scores - 3 varisty sports - yada yada yada...... blah blah blah. The blogs I read about Mason's less than stellar "social life" scare me but finances may force me to stay at home and commute. Oh well - go patriots - or whatever that mascot thing is ;>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,523,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoldwannabee View Post
I am looking for a college - I am a junior in HS not far from the GM campus - 4.0 GPA and top SAT scores - 3 varisty sports - yada yada yada...... blah blah blah. The blogs I read about Mason's less than stellar "social life" scare me but finances may force me to stay at home and commute. Oh well - go patriots - or whatever that mascot thing is ;>)
There is no reason you can't explore other options for college. You sound like the kind of model student most colleges are looking to recruit. There's a lot of scholarship money out there for people just like you. Talk to your school's guidance counselor about how to apply for money when the time comes. I taught high school in the Midwest years ago and encouraged my talented students to apply to their dream schools. Many were accepted and a few even got full academic scholarships. Nothing is wrong with Mason. It's a fine school. College is what you make of it once you get there.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoldwannabee View Post

I know someone whose son is going there this year. They live 20 minutes away from the campus, yet he is living in the dorm and enjoying it and doing well in school.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 PM

467 posts, read 1,528,836 times
GMU is iffy for undergrad academics, IMHO. On the graduate side, its very good for part-time working adults who want to learn from practitioners. My MS from GMU has come in handy. I taught a couple courses there as an adjunct and the students varied in quality. Some are horrible, others are very bright.

The school is very "diverse", but not the way you might suppose. GMU has a huge number of international students, especially from the middle east, Pakistan, and India. Some of them are not positive contributors academically, which frustrates much of the faculty.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:42 AM

18 posts, read 36,626 times
I can't speak for the graduate programs, but I did graduate from George Mason in 2010 with a BS in Biology. For the COS specifically, the professors were adequate, but I wouldn't say they were the best. GMU is known more for their business and law programs (from what I heard). I guess if your Masters is in one of those fields, than you should be fine, if its a program pertaining to the COS, I would definitely look for a different university.

As an aside, cheating is RAMPANT at GMU while I was there; I have never seen a undergrad student body or a faculty that blatantly looks the other way when it comes to this issue. This always bugged me, since about ~90% of the COS undergrads are "pre-med" yet can't pass an introductory physics course withing typing all their notes on the TI-83 calculators. For anyone thinking of pursuing a medical school acceptance after graduating from GMU, you may want to attend another university. Although its possible, the pre-health community at GMU is horrible and only cater to the brownnoser's of the class.

Sorry about the rant, although I graduated from GMU, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,559,000 times
The school is definitely geared towards the social sciences (and maybe business IDK).

Very respectable economics program if you don't mind being indoctrinated by conservatives. Two economic professors are noble laureates in fact. Pretty good place to study government/international relations too because of the location.

Very good law program and public policy graduate school. Although both of these programs are at the Arlington Campus and not in Fairfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia