Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 14,103 times

Advertisements

Job is right next to Rosslyn Metro Center and starts at 10AM. I live out in Fair Lakes near the I-66 and Ffx Cnty Pkwy intersection.

My plan is drive from Fair Lakes to Vienna Metro Station. Take the orange line about 6 stops to Rosslyn.

I am concerned about the parking at Vienna Metro Station as well as the traffic from Fair Lakes to Vienna Metro Station. I heard that 66-E gets backed up as far as Ffx County Pkway exit.....Does it?

*Is this a good plan to commute to work?
*What do I do if I can't find parking at Vienna? Does it get completely full or does it just take awhile to find a spot?
*How much do I pay for parking and fare both ways? Are there any discounts if I buy for a month?
*What are my other options and what can you suggest ~veteran commuters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 AM

190 posts, read 684,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleek123 View Post
Job is right next to Rosslyn Metro Center and starts at 10AM. I live out in Fair Lakes near the I-66 and Ffx Cnty Pkwy intersection.

My plan is drive from Fair Lakes to Vienna Metro Station. Take the orange line about 6 stops to Rosslyn.

I am concerned about the parking at Vienna Metro Station as well as the traffic from Fair Lakes to Vienna Metro Station. I heard that 66-E gets backed up as far as Ffx County Pkway exit.....Does it?

*Is this a good plan to commute to work?
*What do I do if I can't find parking at Vienna? Does it get completely full or does it just take awhile to find a spot?
*How much do I pay for parking and fare both ways? Are there any discounts if I buy for a month?
*What are my other options and what can you suggest ~veteran commuters?
Your problem will be that you're going to work too late to really get any good spots there. What you'll find @ Vienna is that most of the spots are taken by 7 or 8 AM, and the rest of the spots available can't be used until 10 AM (FFX Cty police will give you a ticket for parking there earlier than 10, I've seen them do it en masse). And yes, it will be COMPLETELY FULL on both sides by the middle of the day. If it gets full, you might as well drive to work, because that means that the other ones will probably be filled up soon as well, although W. Falls Church might fare a little better. One thing that you can do though is to buy a reserve spot, but I don't know what the waiting list is like for that.

If you exit the system after 9:30 am, I think that you might be able to get by on the fare, and just pay the off-peak rate; otherwise, I think that you'll pay around 3.80 (one-way) or so, and the peak-rate in the PM is from 2-8 pm. The parking is 4.50, and the rest of the nearby parking is terrible. Bring a SmartCard, or you won't be able to get out of the garage.

Traffic can get backed up WAY past Fair Lakes, but after 7100 is where it starts to get really nasty. It doesn't really improve until around 10:00 or so.

If you live around Fair Lakes, what I'd recommend is taking a bus to the Metro, rather than driving. Check the FaifaxConnector and Metro websites (wmata.com) for more details on that. Or find a park-and-ride, some of which are run by the county). This page should help as well: Welcome to CommuterPage.com. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM

461 posts, read 909,686 times
Vienna Metro lot was just covered in a recent thread. You might want to search the NOVA board as this question and so many 100s more about commuting can be found already discussed.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 AM

309 posts, read 828,488 times
There is a shuttle that runs in Fair Lakes to the Vienna metro

Fair Lakes Shuttle in Fair Lakes

Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,558 times
Have you thought about driving to Rosslyn or the Courthouse area? There are some private lots that don't go higher than $9 day. The cutoff for HOV 2 is 9am, right? Just be on 66 after 9. It'll be slow, though.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 33,426 times
I pay for the reserved parking at the Vienna Metro Station. It is $50 per month and I don't believe there is a waiting list. This entitles me to get a spot every day, but I arrive around 8 a.m. After 10 a.m., those spots are open to everyone. One day I went in to work a little late, so did not arrive to Vienna until around 9:30 a.m. We found every spot was taken up, but not by those who bought the reserve pass -- they were all hanging around in their cars until the 10 a.m. magic hour! They were just sitting in their cars or hanging around their cars. Since my husband and I pay the fee every month, we asked one of these folks to move since they were obviously trying to get a jump on the 10 a.m. by hogging up the spot early. Not fair! They had to move -- they weren't happy, but they moved.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
There is a shuttle that runs in Fair Lakes to the Vienna metro

Fair Lakes Shuttle in Fair Lakes
Is the Fair Lakes Shuttle Free? Do i have to prove residency somehow? Is it reliable?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Metro Fare

I looked up the fares, looks like ill be paying $6 Roundtrip for Vienna to Rosslyn each day. Are there bulk discounts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia