Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 49,779 times

Advertisements

Let me cut right to the chase. The Maryland DMV is with-holding the title of my vehicle until I get a new safety inspection because my vehicle was declared 'total loss' due to an accident it was involved in.

I recently moved to Virginia, so the problem is that without the title I can't change my documents. If I turn in my Maryland tags, they'll be more than happy to give me the title but the problem with that is, my car will be tagless which means I won't be able to drive the title to the Virginia DMV. Plus, I was told it will take the Virginia DMV 6-8 weeks until I receive my tags. Not sure if that's true? If so, that means I'd have an undrivable, tagless car for 2 months.

Is my only other option, pay for the Maryland safety inspection, get the title 7 days later in the mail (would maryland even send it to my virginia address?), and then pay AGAIN for the Virginia safety inspection? I mean, that's the only way I'd be able to get the title and keep my maryland tags meanwhile, until I get the Virginia tags 6-8 weeks later. And I haven't even changed to a Virginia's driver's license yet. UGH! What a headache!!!

If anyone can help clarify, suggest anything, etc, please respond.
I'd so greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I've been able to get tags at the DMV on the spot. I went to register the vehicle and they gave me plates. So long as you don't want custom plates, they have stacks at the DMV.

The VA state inspection is only $16 and should pass if it passes the MD inspection.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 17,851 times
You might be able to use a "trip permit" to transport a car without license plates. When we purchased a car, the seller took off the plates and we put the trip permit in the window to drive the car home. Then I took the title to the VA DMV and was able to get the license plates immediately. Google "Virginia Trip Permit" and/or call for more information.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARookie View Post
Let me cut right to the chase. The Maryland DMV is with-holding the title of my vehicle until I get a new safety inspection because my vehicle was declared 'total loss' due to an accident it was involved in....

You are probably dealing with a salvage title here...which is a whole 'nother ballgame.

I bought a car with a salvage title once and it was a ROYAL pain...I'll never do it again unless it's a very special car.

It's complicated, but basically the salvage vehicle laws were designed to a) make sure the repaired vehicle is safe, and b) to "brand" the title so that all subsequent owners are aware that the car was once totalled and therefore typically worth less than one that wasn't.

The one I bought had an out-of-state title and that added to the hassle I had to go through....so maybe having Maryland re-brand the title as "rebuilt" (and thus eligible for registration) would be easier...GOOD LUCK!

PS: This inspection they are talking about is probably NOT the normal inspection that all cars need. I had to pay to have a DMV officer come to my house to "inspect" my salvage vehicle to verify that it, in fact, had been repaired....ie. all four wheels were touching the ground! LOL

Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I'm confused. Why does Maryland have your title? Did you just buy the car recently? I'm in Maryland and I have my title. How come you don't have yours?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm confused. Why does Maryland have your title? Did you just buy the car recently? I'm in Maryland and I have my title. How come you don't have yours?
I had the title but when my insurance company came over to take a look at the vehicle after it had been hit by another vehicle while parked, my insurance company declared it 'total loss'. At that point I could either give up the vehicle or keep it and I decided to keep it since it could still run. They told me that changes needed to be made on my title since it became a salvage title. Once the changes were made, they would send me a new title in the mail.

Obviously, that never happened so I called the MVA and they told me that before they can send me the new title, I have to get a new Maryland safety inspection. I got the inspection done when I first bought the vehicle but now they need me to get a second one done due to the accident.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM

Thanks everyone else for your feedback.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,376 times
I just switched my car from 2

Md to va. I have a salvage title. I was told that once my title comes in the mail. I can then go to va and pick up my tags

Old 06-16-2020, 05:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,159 times
Hi,

So I bought a truck from a small dealership in VA that they told me had a salvaged title in Maryland. They said I have to basically go to Maryland, get the title, and then take it to Virginia and have it re-title in Virginia. I am driving the truck on 30 day dealer tags. The truck has a brand new Virginia inspection sticker that expires 5/21. What inspections will I need and how much should this cost me?

Thanks,

CP

Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnpatton View Post
Hi,

So I bought a truck from a small dealership in VA that they told me had a salvaged title in Maryland. They said I have to basically go to Maryland, get the title, and then take it to Virginia and have it re-title in Virginia. I am driving the truck on 30 day dealer tags. The truck has a brand new Virginia inspection sticker that expires 5/21. What inspections will I need and how much should this cost me?

Thanks,

CP
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#titling.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia