U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM

85 posts, read 216,320 times

Advertisements

Our family recently signed a lease on a SFH in VA. The home is lovely yet the Property Manager hasn't been too kind. I like the place and was told that the owners will not be painting. Yet I was told which paint color to use if I decide to paint?

Two days after signing the lease. I sent in the Move In Inspection Report. I never recieved a response from the Property Manager so the next day I emailed the Agent that had shown me the property. Finally a week later the Property Manager tells me abruptly that I will have to be responsible for painting the home.

This isn't my home I am just renting. The property manager goes on and on about how so many people wanted the rental and how sweet the owners are? I am totally confused. It's as if she won't even discuss the situation with them. She just keeps putting me off.

I recieved an estimate of almost a $1,000.00 to paint. I just paid the first months rent and security. We haven't even moved in yet. I am so saddened by the treatment. It's not fair. I emailed the property managers supervisor. I simply don't know what more to do.

Do tenants in this state have any rights?

Thanks in Advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 1,976,068 times
Have you asked your agent to help you? That's what they are for. Is this in your lease?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM

I don't have a particular agent. I called initially the one who represented the property for the Property Manager. She set up my application and brought me the keys etc. I have only spoken to the Property Manager over the phone. I just read where if I submit the Move In Inspection report noting any problems the Landlords need to respond. I haven't heard anything. Looking at my copy of the lease the landlords signatures aren't even on it! This is so frustrating.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,649,720 times
Sounds like you don't have a valid lease, if the other party never signed it. Call and tell them you are canceling the lease. It is not your responsibility to paint THEIR house!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM

Thank you Denton. I have been reading the VA housing laws. I complied by submitting the Move In Inspection Report within the 5 days that was warranted.
I never recieved feedback from the Landlord. It states that within these 5 days they have to sign the Move In Inspection Report. They also can state that which they are willing to do. Or what we can do jointly. It's now day 11 and I have heard nothing. I don't blame the owners I think it's the Property Manager.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 AM

67 posts, read 172,072 times
I use a property manager to manage my house and, yes, they can be frustrating to both sides. But I am confused. Why does anything need painting? You must have seen the house before you decided to rent so you must have known it's condition. If the paint was in poor shape, you should have cleared that up prior to signing anything. Sounds like the owner consider the condition to be adequate and simply provided the color information for you should you choose to freshen it up. If it's an issue of disliking the color, that's on you and I heartily recommend you get permission in writing to change it. Even if you freshed up with the same color, make sure you have permission in writing and make sure that the people you hire don't damage anything with overspray, etc. and that they are insured. Our country is a litigious place and you can never be too careful.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 AM

I am moving from one state to another. I had saw the home online and through pictures that were sent to me by the Agent.
I also have a friend who lives nearby that viewed the house and took pictures as well. I signed the lease prior to actually seeing it. The home is very nice.

The only thing wrong is the walls.

The condition isn't adequate when the owner has resided in a property for the last 10 years and never touched up a builders "white".

I do not desire to change the color the house needs to simply be repainted the "builders "white".

I placed all of these concerns on the Move In Inspection Report. This according to the VRLTA is the appropriate action to take once a lease is signed.

I too have been a landlord and would never consider a room that looks as if someone either smoked in continously or had been involved in a fire as "adequate".

By me paying to paint their house will benefit the owners not my family. This isn't our home. I have my own home that I have to prepare to sell.

If the Property Manager had any sense of business etiquette this manner could have been settled by now.

The Property Manager was to inform the Landlord of my concerns on the Move-In Inspection Report and she didn't do so.

I really believe that they are not even aware of any of this.

This is why it's important whom you choose to represent you.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,389,317 times
Sounds very similar to the home I live in. Actually I could be writing the while thing, have another house in another state, husband rented this one without me seeing it. The owners haven't painted it in 12 years. I don't think they ever cleaned, the light switches looked like they belonged in an auto repair shop they were so dirty. But the house suited all of our other needs. We elected to paint on our own, a little bit at a time, just the cost of the paint. If you really like the house, take the high road with the property manager and ask if you paint, which improves the property value, if they can knock off a bit of the rent. Be nice and ask if this can be submitted to the owner for their decision. You might be correct in that they have not been consulted on any of it.

(I've also dealt with BAD ones on another rental ...we had a dispute and I had all the paperwork proving I was right. I refused to let him get me riled up..I just kept asking him to prove me wrong..he lost it.. called me a ***** and liar on the phone in front of his collegues and boss..talk about getting a call from the company president.)

Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 AM

slduvall--Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate it. It helped me to see that I am not alone nor crazy. I emailed the Property Managers supervisor. I am not wrong I followed the terms and completed the Move In Inspection report in a timely manner. No where in the lease does it state that the walls are "as is".

So if I just paint based on the verbal go ahead of the Property Manager as another poster stated that could be a lawsuit too. I need something in writing to the effect of what the Landlords intentions are towards the walls as well as my Move In Inspection Report. This has clearly been overlooked by the Property Manager.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM

35 posts, read 110,879 times
This is exactly what happened to me. I wonder if my landlord lives in Nova too?!?! The key for me is to keep every single little thing in writing. If it's not in writing, I'm not doing it, and I'm not responsible. I kept all the emails, everything. I've basically been in "Prepare for Lawsuit" mode since living here. I didn't comment specifically on your paint issue, but from the way things sound, this is only the tip of the iceberg and you'll need to get in battle mode. Example: after we moved in, we found out the bedroom doors all had keyed locks but they didn't give us the keys. When we asked for the keys, they told us it was our problem!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia