Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 10,612 times

Advertisements

We are moving into the area this summer with our elementary-aged son who has ADHD. Could you please share any thoughts on elementary schools (FCPS) and ADHD? Are some better at dealing with students with ADHA than others? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,137 times
I think that's something you'll have to speak with a school counselor or other school board member about. I'm an adult with ADHD and I have two kids with it...people fail to understand that we don't need to be drugged up and we're not stupid. We just learn differently than most people. I am anything but impressed with how Prince William County handles children with ADHD. When my son was in school, they were really hot and heavy in trying to push me to put my son on Ritalin. I ended up having to put him in learning disabled classes from 6th grade to 9th grade because they threatened to kick him out of school all together. Being a single parent, I couldn't afford private school, so I had to put my son in the LD classes. With my daugther, they complain all the time about her inability to focus. They're not proactive with anything, nor have they been very helpful in working with me to find ways to help my daughter fit in. I imagine other public school systems are about the same in this area, but don't quote me on that.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:31 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times
I can't speak for Fairfax, we're in Loudoun. But my experience has been that you have to be an advocate for your child wherever you are. Does your child have an IEP? Plan on checking up to be sure it's being followed. Make yourself known to your child's teacher and the administration. Let them know you take the IEP very seriously and as it is their legal responsibility to follow it, you will be looking out to make sure they do. No need to be nasty, but you need to let them know your primary concern is your child's education and working with the school to make sure that happens.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 PM

67 posts, read 178,949 times
I can't speak to the Ffx County Schools in general but I can speak to how one elementary school, Sangster, handled it. At first, I thought they were great. My DD is not hyperactive physically. She is very inattentive. The teacher who finally, and quietly, told me to go see a Dr. and why, was AWESOME. She was already accommodating before I ever asked for a 504 or IEP. And that's where I learned my lesson. Since the school was already giving me every accommodation I needed without anything in writing, they basically refused to give me anything in writing. I was lucky, it didn't matter while we were there. BUT BUT BUT it sure mattered when we were suddenly transferred overseas for 3 years and didn't have anything in writing! We wasted almost 2 years fighting for accommodations at the new school. So, lesson learned, no matter where you go GET IT IN WRITING. We are coming back shortly and will now have to go through this again with Lake Braddock. My DD's condition has vastly improved which will make getting accommodations, most importantly extra time on tests which can translate to extra time on the SATs, very difficult to get. So, another lesson, think long term. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,678 times
Hello, my son is in 2nd grade and we are in a fairfax county school. If you can move to Reston and have your child attend Hunters Woods or Buzz Aldrin - they have a fantastic program for ADHD children. If you have a diagnoses from a doctor, they don't take the child out of class, but they do things like give them tests orally and actually have them work on software that helps their brain develop different "pathways" in their cognitive thinking processes. I am VERY impressed and the push on drugs is not a factor - they really want to help. I feel very fortunate - the schools are in Reston and Reston is a great place to live.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvitori View Post
Hello, my son is in 2nd grade and we are in a fairfax county school. If you can move to Reston and have your child attend Hunters Woods or Buzz Aldrin - they have a fantastic program for ADHD children. If you have a diagnoses from a doctor, they don't take the child out of class, but they do things like give them tests orally and actually have them work on software that helps their brain develop different "pathways" in their cognitive thinking processes. I am VERY impressed and the push on drugs is not a factor - they really want to help. I feel very fortunate - the schools are in Reston and Reston is a great place to live.
tvitori, I know this thread is old but I was wondering if you could tell me which of these two schools you recommended was better. I am actually moving to the area based on your recommendation. Thanks! :-)

Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
I'm sorry--were you saying something?

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-16-2014 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: I can make that joke because I have ADD myse--hey, what font is this in?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 PM

104 posts, read 170,962 times
My son is going into 3rd grade and had a successful 1st and 2nd grade year at a Prince William County School. (He has ADD/Anxiety - no meds). He is in a regular Gen Ed. class but he gets pulled out during the day for small group math, writing and reading work. In his IEP there are certain things teachers have to do to help him and make adjustments, understand and transition.

In Kindergarten however, he had not been diagnosed and the teacher and principle were also pushing drugs (before we even knew what the issue was). That year was a disaster! It all depends on the teachers and knowing your rights - you have to stay on top of it all and like some one else said you are your child's best advocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia