Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,331,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
That may be YOUR experience. NoVA is a huge consumer of those with Ivy League degrees (including my wife and me). I don't know where YOUR "around here" is, but we know a large number of people with degrees from top 20 schools in this region, and quite a few of them work for the government.
Fairfax County. Perhaps you have more Ivy Leaguers way out there in Loudoun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
As usual, you are incorrect. Bobos do not just live in NY, Boulder and the Bay Area. Those people are simply hippies or hippie-wannabes (or just libertines). Bobos also do not do drugs. If you read David Brooks' book, you'd realize that bobos combine bohemian "tolerance" and "liberation" (they're "cool" with others who smoke pot) with bourgeois limitations and self-discipline (as David Brooks writes, bobos don't drink -- they drink expensive coffee and health drinks and work out a lot). Bobos now inhabit every suburb of the country -- Brooks claims that they are now the ubiquitous upper and upper-middle class of this country.
Sorry but I don't consider David Brooks the arbiter of the zeitgeist.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
As usual, you are incorrect. Bobos do not just live in NY, Boulder and the Bay Area. Those people are simply hippies or hippie-wannabes (or just libertines).
Please post that assessment on those forums as I'd love to see the reaction. Be sure to tell them you're a "Bobo" from Northern Virginia. However, they may suggest a slightly different spelling.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-30-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,156,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Doubtful. Ivy league schools don't generate too many IT folks. Around here they usually come from the military, at the high levels often senior officers or officials with extensive Defense/government IT experience.
Except Brown and Cornell among others, which boast excellent computer science departments. Plus, you gotta remember it's not just defense contractors and ITs over here. The area also has a high concentration of lawyers, lobbyists and political operators. Metro DC also has a very high concentratio of physicians.

Quote:
Fairfax County. Perhaps you have more Ivy Leaguers way out there in Loudoun.
No. Actually most of those Ivy Leaguers I know live in Arlington, Alexandria, Great Falls and McLean. My wife and I are the only Ivy Leaguers in my neighborhood in Loudoun.

Quote:
Sorry but I don't consider David Brooks the arbiter of the zeitgeist.
Well, that's interesting since David Brooks coined the term "bobo." If he who invented the term and framed the definition doesn't get to decide what is described by HIS own term, I don't know who does. I guess you do.

Quote:
Please post that assessment on those forums as I'd love to see the reaction. Be sure to tell them you're a "Bobo" from Northern Virginia.
See above.

You should also realize that bobos also run in a spectrum. In some areas, you are going to find more bohemian in the bo-bo whereas in others you will find more bourgeois. NoVA, being somewhat more conservative than some metro suburbs/exurbs (or places like Burlington, VT), is going to run a bit more bougeois than bohemian on the spectrum, but the bobo traits are all there -- the granite counters and stainless steel appliances, the advanced degrees, the idea-oriented work (think tanks, government, issue advocacy and etc.), the overpriced coffee, the foreign travel/living experience and so on.

Did you even read the book that defined the term "bobo"?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,156,788 times
Quote:
Please post that assessment on those forums as I'd love to see the reaction. Be sure to tell them you're a "Bobo" from Northern Virginia. However, they may suggest a slightly different spelling.
Yeah? How would you spell "bobo"?

Perhaps you are confusing it with "boho."

Here, let me make it crystal clear for you:

Bobo: Bobos in Paradise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boho: Boho-chic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,008,606 times
LOL, I think he meant bozo. Or possibly boob.

I'm not really buying into this bobo bit. But that's just me, cutesy little terms like that make me gag. I usually snicker at those who try to make a name for themselves by separating people into narrow little groups. I think they just enjoying coining terms that (IMO) sound pretty affected. In some ways I fit into that bobo description, in other ways I do not, and the same goes for most people I know. So IMO it's not a useful description and not a term I'll ever use. Just my two cents.

FWIW, most of the people in my Loudoun neighborhood have graduate degrees. I don't know if they're ivy leaguers, though. Despite the cliche that we're all supposed to endlessly brag about our schools I actually have no idea where most of my neighbors went to school. I just know that they have professions that require graduate level degrees.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I think he meant bozo. Or possibly boob.
Normie, I'm "shocked, shocked I'd say" at you for suggesting that was my meaning. Although you're pretty amazingly perceptive for someone without an Ivy League degree. You can be in my Non-Ivy League Alumni Association.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM

660 posts, read 1,709,167 times
Quote:
Except Brown and Cornell among others, which boast excellent computer science departments. Plus, you gotta remember it's not just defense contractors and ITs over here. The area also has a high concentration of lawyers, lobbyists and political operators. Metro DC also has a very high concentratio of physicians.

No. Actually most of those Ivy Leaguers I know live in Arlington, Alexandria, Great Falls and McLean. My wife and I are the only Ivy Leaguers in my neighborhood in Loudoun.
Agreed. Aside from the Bush Administration DOJ's recent love affair with Regent Law graduates, DOJ lawyers tend to have extremely impressive academic pedigrees, which means Ivy League or equivalent institutions. I know that State Department employees are similar in that regard.

Fairfax County is a big place, with a lot of regional differences based on race, age/type of housing stock, income, educational backgrounds, etc. "Government employee" may tend to mean "Pentagon" in Fort Hunt, but you're a lot likelier to find a foreign service officer or government lawyer in West Falls Church. My hunch would be that the closer you get to DC, the better educated people tend to be.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Did you even read the book that defined the term "bobo"?
Yes I have a copy here.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Well, that's interesting since David Brooks coined the term "bobo." If he who invented the term and framed the definition doesn't get to decide what is described by HIS own term, I don't know who does. I guess you do.
You're the one who inserted that term into the conversation, not I. I'm still calling them "yuppies" remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia