Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,042 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been pouring over all the great information you have all helped others with and would like to pose a question of my own...

I may be relocating to NOVA for a job in DC... Over 15 years ago I lived in Centerville in a gated "condo/apt" style community when Centerville was just starting to grow, I see that the area has grown substantially since I left. It is just my wife and I, no children, so I am perplexed on a housing choice for just the two of us. We do not need the large, multi-bedroom homes in many of the beautiful planned communities that I have been researching and like. We would like something more along the lines of a two-bedroom home around 1500 square feet. We would still like to live in a planned community though and prefer a small freestanding home or town home rather than the condo/apt style homes. Another limiting factor may be price... I'm thinking that with what my pay would be, I would only be comfortable spending in the high 200s or low 300s for the size home I mentioned. It looks like there are some new town home communities near Dulles that may meet the bill, but my wife located some small single family homes in planned communities in the Fredricksburg area that seem very nice and in our price range. I am concerned about the commute from each location into DC... not so much the time, I am prepared for that, but the ease of mass transit. Would it be easier to catch the VRE into DC from Fredricksburg, or ride the Fairfax connector bus to the Vienna Metro Rail station from the Dulles area.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! The area has changed so much since I left that I'm not sure of where to start. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,259,738 times
How about something like this:
11228 SILENTWOOD LN, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

Old 05-22-2010, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 28,582 times
Centreville is still a great place to live but you might want to also check out Stone Ridge and South Riding though they are farther west than Centreville. Reston has some very good deals now and I am seeing more pop up for my clients!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 39,076 times
Hi Deb,
What would be considered a good deal for a SFH (around 3000 sq.ft 4 BR) in stoneridge,southriding?Is 520K a good/average deal?I am in the market looking to buy soon and very interested in the stoneridge community.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 28,582 times
There are quite a few homes to be built and newer (less than five years) that have been built in Stone Ridge and South Riding. Most are around 3200-4000 finished square feet. There are plenty at $520K and below.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,325,149 times
IF you've got no kids why live out in the boring outer 'burbs? How about Old Town Alexandria or even DC itself? Save commute time and gas and have access to much nicer amenities.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
IF you've got no kids why live out in the boring outer 'burbs? How about Old Town Alexandria or even DC itself? Save commute time and gas and have access to much nicer amenities.
Well, I actually wouldn't mind living in town or closer to town... but my wife is from a small town and we currently live on a 13 acre parcel outside a suburb of a small city in Upstate NY, so the transition to DC is going to be an adjustment, so I'm trying to keep some semblance of "country" (in terms of green and trees) in my search for a home. That is why I am looking at areas like the Dulles Corridor (South Riding maybe?) and Fredericksburg. I also grew up in a small town, but like the bustle of an urban environment, but I'm trying to come up with a suitable solution to keep us both happy. I'm more than willing to make a longer commute so that she can be in a community where she is comfortable. The downer to us is that we will be giving up our 13 acres and a 3 year old custom built cedar home, and while I will get the top of the market in my area, that same dollar amount will only equate to a townhome with no property near Dulles, or maybe a small SFH on a small lot in Fredericksburg.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,325,149 times
Don't mistake the outer DC 'burbs for small town living. In fact, the closer in areas have more of a small town feel with lots of smaller independent shops and eateries where people walk around and socialize. The outer 'burbs are full of strip malls where people live in big homes on small lots, drive to get everywhere, and rarely interact with more than a few close neighbors.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 AM

71 posts, read 146,788 times
I used to work in Old Town Alexandria, - gorgeous, beautiful historic - high prices.

Fredericksburg - used to live there in the historic district, very pretty old town on the river - much better prices.

I currently live in Leesburg, VA - in the historic district, Leesburg, might seem too far, but they do have the Loudoun county bus running tons per day - i used to take the bus directly from Leesburg, to downtown with no stops, so you might take a peek over there. The old town in Leesburg has shops and restaurants, but the burbs around it have an outlet mall, lots of big stores and such. I do love Leesburg, they have halloween parades, just built a new fancy pool with water slides, and parts definitely do have a small town feel. Might be too far though

Dulles you can take the bus too there is a stop - if that helps with the commute.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 AM

577 posts, read 2,065,550 times
I don't live in a K Hovanian development but have seen them around the Ashburn, VA area. The homes typically are smaller than the other developments but are nicely done. According to their website they have a development in Fredericksburg in your price range. It looks like the website may list only brand new homes but there are resales you could find that might fit your needs.

Another developer called Del Webb designs communities for "active adults" over 55. They have one in Fredericksburg and others around NoVa. There's one in Ashburn called Potomac Green but I'll tell you right now that while it is nice, it's right in the Dulles Airport flight path...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia