Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM

70 posts, read 136,005 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in a 18 month-old Toll Bros. home in South Riding. Since we've moved in we've noticed that our sump pump runs ALL THE TIME. Just watering the lawn for 20 minutes will cause it to evacuate water.

In the last two months we've had plumbers come out and fix the sump pump when it has stopped working during rain storms - most recently today. The plumber's only explanation was the the pump simply can't keep up. It wasn't designed to move the massive amount of water that trickles into the pit constantly.

Any thoughts? I've had Toll fill in sink holes around my house, I've buried my sump line so that it drains into the street... I just don't know what else we can do.

Is there some major defect with my house that the builder won't admit to? My neighbors' sump pumps do not run the way mine does. I know Toll will tell me to bury the rest of my down spouts, but that won't change the fact that my neighbors' downspouts will drain into my yard (our houses are very close together).

I'm so tired of this. It feels like a totally flooded basement waiting to happen. I'm ready to call a lawyer... I'm sure my electric bill is being affected by the constant running of my pump - let alone all the moisture that must be around my house...

Any insight on this issue? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Did you have a home inspection done? Not the one done by the county, but one done by an inspector you hired? If not, you may want to think about having one done.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 AM

70 posts, read 136,005 times
No, we didn't have an inspection done (other than by the county). Any ideas where I can find a good home inspector?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM

112 posts, read 851,801 times
How is the grading of your house compared to your neighbors? Is your land/house much lower than your neighbors causing any runoffs to go towards rather than away from your home? 20 minutes of watering via sprinkler isn't a lot of water unless you're using a fire hose. That's barely enough to get your lawn damp. It shouldn't be enough to collect water near your foundation.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,056 times
Did the home come with some kind of warranty? Maybe you can get the builder to do some regrading to your and your neighbors property.

How many inches of rain did you get over the weekend? In s. arlington we got about 1.25 inches. Our pump did not come on.

Also, the area around here is know for bad clay soils. Basically, the water table will sometimes sit at the level of your basement or lower. When there is a great amount of rainwater (and pressure), it will seek vacuum spots or places where there is no water (ie your sump pit).

Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Keith Reeve has a good reputation. he owns Inspection Professionals. I had a chance to hear him speak this past weekend and I am having him come to my home as well. 703-779-5655
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: