Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 27,875 times

Advertisements

My husband, 3-year-old, infant and I are making the move to the Quantico (job) area this summer and are looking at homes in the Gainesville/Bristow/Haymarket area. Just wondering what there is to do for fun around these communities. It seems like this area is fairly rural (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I am a little concerned there will be a lack of things to do. We are outdoor people who love going to the park, rivers, lakes, playgrounds etc. Are there activities like these in this area? (Or other affordable areas you would recommend looking at?) I am a stay-at-home-mom so I am also looking for things to do with my kiddos as well (libraries, classes, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I would not describe Gainesville/Haymarket/Bristow as rural - perhaps 20-30 years ago. Today it is a far out suburb of Washington, DC with all of the amenities that suburbs offer - stores, playgrounds, parks, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:46 PM

187 posts, read 491,715 times
With kids, the Gainesvilel/Haymarket/Bristow area is excellent. Most neighborhoods have playground equipment and walking/riding trails; some have fishing ponds as well (IE Dominion Valley, probably others too). There are a number of state parks for hiking - from the battle fields in Manassass to various parks in Gainesville/Haymarket/Warrenton area. There's also Silver Lake in Haymarket.
There are quite a few sport parks as well for football/football/other sports, some of which also have playgrounds for smaller children (there's on off Route 15, not far from Dominion Valley/Piedmont neighborhoods, which also has a community library).
You are less than 1 hour from hiking in the Blue Ridge mountains
There are places not too far to go apple/strawberry/pumpkin picking depending on the time of year
If you like wine, you can go to the many wineries in the area - we go there with our kids all the time , they play outdoors while we have picnics.
and so on...

Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 PM

49 posts, read 123,189 times
As an at-home Mom who just moved here (to manassas) with a 3yo and 2yo, I think you'll love the area! My kids and I had to stay out of the house for two weeks while we had the bathroom renovated, and we spent around 7 hours a day driving to different parks, playgrounds, etc. and we STILL didn't see everything I wanted to. This area is loaded with outdoorsy things to do. And if you are willing to drive a little ways, there is SO MUCH, probably anything you would want to do, you can find within a reasonable distance.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM

41 posts, read 92,182 times
Smile Prince william parks

hey, I just move in Haymarket 3 month ago with my family of 5 boys (from 4-17)
and if, like us, you like outdors, this is the place for you.
there are plenty of recration parks around here and lakes.
we enjoyed the lake brittle for fishing, picnic and walking around or the silver lake for hike, fish, horseback riding, picnic and "naps" under the trees...then in Mannassas, around the Jump'in jimmy (jumping place for kids) there is a park and a trail to walk... normally as a new comer, you will receive the park authority leisure booklet you will find EVERYTHING that you need. it is really great to be here. we just love it. good luck.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 PM

45 posts, read 141,224 times
I have kids the same age as yours and moved to Bristow/G'ville 7 mos ago and one thing I can say about this place is that everyone has little kids. All of my neighbors have kids the same age as my sons and there are a lot of SAHMs here. It's not rural at all, tons of shopping/restaurants nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia