Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM

837 posts, read 1,800,504 times

Advertisements

Option A:

Massachusets down to arizona, down to chain bridge, over chain bridge, over to 123/dolley madison to tysons

Concern: Chain bridge probably a disaster in the mornings, I hear its one lane going out of town

Option B:

Massachusets to glen echo area, get on clara barton, continue to 495/capital beltway over to Tysons

Concern: 495 a parking lot going into VA?

Option C:

Somehow get to 66 (key bridge? river road?) to dulles toll road

Concern: 66 a disaster?

Any thoughts on what makes sense?

Clearly I have no idea. Doing it for the first time tomorrow.

Also, any idea how long I should plan for? 1 hour? 1.5 hours? Need to be there ~8.30am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,454,678 times
I would take Chain Bridge, since it's a reverse commute in the morning, until you get to McLean, where all roads head to Tysons. Without traffic, that's about a 25-30 minute trip, depending upon the lights, so an hour should be sufficient to deal with any backups. You will still have some school traffic on the route, so perhaps for the first couple of days, until you are more familiar with the route, I would tend to allow closer to 1.5 hours, just to be sure that you can get there without issue. Just remember to stay to the right, because of the reversible lane, on Canal, and you will turn left (only direction allowed) at Chain Bridge, since Clara Barton is one-way inbound in the morning.

66 backs up around Fairfax Drive in the mornings, headed toward Tysons, so you would have a slowdown on that route. And, I would definitely not consider crossing the American Legion Bridge, unless you absolutely had to do so. I would not head to MD to get back to Tysons, since the bridge to Tysons can be awful.

The other alternative would be to get on the GW Parkway instead of continuing on I-66, crossing the TR Bridge. You could then take the GW Parkway to the Beltway, just after the American Legion, avoiding the problems of the bridge itself, but you might find it better to exit at 123 in McLean, which would be the same route you would have after crossing Chain Bridge.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 PM

837 posts, read 1,800,504 times
Found a 28 minute route this morning via GW parkway

Attempted a different route utilizing 495 back to clara barton to mass... that was a less-than-stellar option at several different junctures.

(edit: "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to bmwdcguy again" error message, well I tried.... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia