Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 11,934 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I have a relative that is having a Wedding in the NOVA area next year, and I'm doing some scouting on her behalf. Does anyone have any input about local DJ's in this area? Specifically, I'm curious

-- Have you used any company/ies in particular, and your thoughts on that company?

-- What did you pay, and what did you/would you expect to pay for a DJ for 5-hours of a Reception/party?

-- Any tips in the searching process?

-- Any other advice you care to pass along that would be helpful

I'm not looking for "Hey, my name is John Doe, call my company", just for real reviews. I'm getting the feeling from places like THE KNOT that they cater the reviews to the people that pay them the biggest ad revenue, and that's not going to help me to get the real scoop.

Thanks so much for your help and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 AM

229 posts, read 879,208 times
Try Davis DeeJays. Never used them myself but they have been around since 1975 so I would imagine they put out a quality product.

www.davisdeejays.com

I am sure there are others but they have been around the longest.

One thing I wouldn't bother doing is calling up one of the local radio stations and have one of their dj's provide entertainment for their wedding. GAWD the cost !!! Because Northern Virginia/DC/Baltimore is a union media market and most of the few announcers who are left are under contract, well let me give ya an example. My cousin some years back had wanted Jeff Gold to emcee an anniversary party for my aunt & uncle. Jeff Gold was "Goldie" on then oldies BIG-100 FM. The breakdown was this.....$3000 for Jeff, $1000 for union "fees" and $2000 to Jeff's employer Clear Channel Communications...thats $6000 !!! And Jeff must not work per-Clear Channel no more than 3 hours max.

My cousin found a guy through the phone book willing to do the event..from start to finish for $150 !!!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
I looooove the guys at Maryland Wedding DJs - Washington DC Wedding DJ | MyDeejay

They are super polite, professional, and responsive. There are no gimmicks, they put on a great show, and above all it is classy. They'll be silly if that's what you want and specifically ask for, but they aren't going to show up and do balloon animals and play goofy games with your guests the way a lot of dj's in the area will.

(I am slightly biased as I interned as an office assistant for them in college, but I've been to a couple weddings they did in the area and it was GREAT. People had a wonderful time thanks to them).

Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
I'm actually a former wedding/party DJ. I can tell you that any of the established companies are going to have the highest and least-negotiable rates for weddings, which are actually some of the easiest work a DJ will ever do. (Think about it: 4/5 hour reception of which 2+ hours is preset background music during the meal, and most of the rest is playing from a setlist that has been pre-approved by the bride and groom. Plus you get a free meal most of the time!) Despite the relative ease of wedding DJing over club DJing, wedding DJs will usually be priced high ($600/4 hours back in my day, and I'm sure it's much higher now) because companies know the wedding party is willing to pay for it.

If I were getting married again and didn't have any friends in the business, I would simply hire a sole proprietor trying to make his/her name in the DJ world. Oftentimes such DJs work at local bars/restaurants providing the nighttime club music. Pick your favorite restaurant with a music scene after 10pm - you can bet the DJ would jump at the chance. Usually, they will also work for companies such as Davis, however they will always have their own PA setup and thus are available for directly-contracted work as well.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Let me know if you're still looking for a DJ. We used a local guy last year for my daughters wedding and he did a real good job. I don't recall his info but I could easily obtain it. He was down to earth and did a good job for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia