Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,573,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well, if that's the attitude that you have, then you deserve to be sneered at too.

Many people prefer restaurants where they know exactly what to expect. This is one reason some prefer a chain, and will deliberately seek a chain rather than some local place that may or may not give them indigestion. That may not be your way of looking at things, but it is a respectable and logical reason. If you don't wish to be sneered at for your personal taste, don't sneer at others for theirs.

I am sure I could find some independent restaurants that are consistent in their quality standards and some chains that are not. Myself and my family have definitely endured indigestion at some chains (which I will not name, to avoid taking this off topic). And the implication that ANY independent is inconsistent in their quality seems unfair, IMO.

Many of those chains got started as independents. Did they give indigestion before they went corporate? Did Mr Mcdonald's restaurant give people indigestion before Mr Kroc discovered it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
And the implication that ANY independent is inconsistent in their quality seems unfair, IMO.
But that is not the implication being given at all. The point is that chains are a known entity, and many people prefer (or need) known entities. Whether or not the independent might or might not be just as good is a moot point. They choose the chains because they prefer going to a place they know.

So what's it to you? Why should you care where other people want to eat, anyway?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
But that is not the implication being given at all. The point is that chains are a known entity, and many people prefer (or need) known entities. Whether or not the independent might or might not be just as good is a moot point. They choose the chains because they prefer going to a place they know.

So what's it to you? Why should you care where other people want to eat, anyway?

I think I addressed the issue of being out of town and not knowing local places , "or looking for a chain when out of town (cause you dont know the local places) "

There are many ways to find out if an independent restaurant IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD is any good. Look at reviews, ask your neighbors, or just try it once. How did you find out that the chain was good? You had to try it, no?

As for why it matters, it effects the restaurants that are available to me in my neighborhood. If lots of folks refuse to eat at independents there wont be many independents around. There are economies of scale to running a restaurant, its not like if the local non-chain sushi place loses 80% of its business it will simply shrink to one fifth its size. And yes, there is the issue of the homogenization of the US in general.

Let me turn it around. Why do YOU care if someone sneers? How exactly does that effect you?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:

As for why it matters, it effects the restaurants that are available to me in my neighborhood. If lots of folks refuse to eat at independents there wont be many independents around.
So in other words you need to force other people to eat in a place you like or it wouldn't exist? Gee, if those independent restaurants were really so great, they should be able to exist without needing to force other people to eat at them. Dontcha think?

But not to worry. Guess what--there are plenty of independent restaurants that ARE doing just fine. So we have something for everyone and I can go eat at Clyde's tonight without you needing to get into a snit about it.

I can't speak for Fairfax, but I think almost every shopping plaza in Loudoun has several independent restaurants mixed in with the chains. You might not see them at first glance because they're in typical suburban strip malls and shopping plazas, but that's another issue. They're there.

So, that's all I have to say. Looks like my time with this thread has run it's course, which means it's time to go for dinner at Clyde's! Bon appetit, and may your dinner be as tasty as I'm sure mine will be.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times
I've eaten at some pretty good places that seem like independents but have a few locations scattered around the area. A lot of independents become chains (even McDonalds) but it doesn't necessarily reduce the appeal of the original.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
So in other words you need to force other people to eat in a place you like or it wouldn't exist?
Who is forcing anyone to do anything? I said some things might be sneer worthy. If a comment on a message board is "forcing" you to do something, maybe all that chain restaurant food is making your skin thin?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
Quote:
There are two points - is someone entitled to favor an area that has FEWER chain stores/restaurants, without being accused of pointless snobbery?
Since this is the post that started the whole side topic about sneering, and you're the one who brought it up, it seems obvious to me that you're the one most sensitive to it. You're the one who didn't want to be "accused", and then you got up in arms when you received the response "if you sneer at someone else you deserve to be sneered at yourself."

The way I see it, you've run out of arguments for the food issue, so now you've veered onto this side topic. Nice try, but sounds like you're just lashing out for the sake of lashing out. What does this argument accomplish?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Since this is the post that started the whole side topic about sneering, and you're the one who brought it up, it seems obvious to me that you're the one most sensitive to it. You're the one who didn't want to be "accused", and then you got up in arms when you received the response "if you sneer at someone else you deserve to be sneered at yourself."

The way I see it, you've run out of arguments for the food issue, so now you've veered onto this side topic. Nice try, but sounds like you're just lashing out for the sake of lashing out. What does this argument accomplish?

I am not lashing out. I am anwering points people make one at a time. Please quote where I am lashing out?

I dont mind if someone sneers back at me because I sneered at someone. I still think that deliberately avoiding independent restaurants, even in yor own neighborhood is sneerworthy. I was asked why, and I answered. I did not lash out.

I made my point on the food issue. What is the argument there?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 AM

855 posts, read 1,174,109 times
[quote=brooklynborndad;14870501]

I still think that deliberately avoiding independent restaurants, even in yor own neighborhood is sneerworthy. /quote]

What's sneer-worthy about that? You like what you like. For example, my mother will not eat at a restaurant that she does not recognize. She's diabetic and has a sensitive stomach, and like other posters have mentioned, it's comforting to go somewhere with a familiar menu. Chains=familiar menu, for the most part.

On a separate note, I think the main problem with so many people around here is that they get their feathers ruffled b/c someone doesn't appreciate (or dislike) the same things the same way they do. In this case, restaurants. seriously. life is too short. live and let live (or die) and let that be that. unless it affects you, keep it moving--you will add many years to your life this way. plus what's the point for having such a distaste for something like suburbs or chain restaurants? "you ain't gotta go there if you don't like it." simple!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM

"For example, my mother will not eat at a restaurant that she does not recognize. She's diabetic and has a sensitive stomach, and like other posters have mentioned, it's comforting to go somewhere with a familiar menu. Chains=familiar menu, for the most part. "

does she avoid unfamiliar chains? Are there ANY independent restaurants that she recognizes? The chains she goes to, how did she become familiar with them - from eating there before she had a sensitive stomach?

I can understand why someone would want to eat only at a familiar restaurant. I am not quite getting the "chain = familiar" piece.

Lets take diners. My family and I have eated at Tabletalk in Alexandria for 16 years or so. We know the menu, we know how they make things, we have NEVER gotten sick from there. OTOH at chain diners, we have had mixed experiences, IIRC. They are not "familiar" to us, the way Tabletalk is. The familiarity arguement sounds kind of circular, to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia