Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Speed enforcement cameras in VA would have to be approved by the General Assembly and, to date, they have not.

However, when you are on the GW Parkway...you are not "in" VA. You are on Federal property, patrolled only by the US Park Police. If Uncle Sam were to decide to use speed cameras on the GWP....the State of Virginia would have ZERO input in the matter.
Wouldn't that take an Act of Congress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 11:52 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
No, this is writing tickets for revenue vs. writing tickets for public safety. The cops in Virginia seem to be interested in the former.
I agree, but I've found it to be a more widespread phenomenon than just VA. My only speeding tickets have been in DE (similar situation to RR86- was going fast and admit it, but the limit was considerably below the prevailing speed of traffic) and in MD (same, but this one got thrown out because there was no speed limit sign). DC of course has speed cameras which are revenue boosters. I know from friends NJ and PA troopers love to bust people for 68 in a 55 situations as well.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
And, oh yeah, let's let each individual motorist decide what is a safe speed for any particular stretch of road!
Studies have shown that, statistically, the safest speed to set the limit at is the 85th percentile speed, that is, the speed at which 85% of drivers fall below. If the road is designed to be traveled at at least that speed (most modern interstates are designed for 80MPH+), then why are the speed limits so low? Obviously, because speeders are being treated as a revenue source.

From my observations (not scientific of course), that stretch of Route 7 should be set at least at 65 MPH.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
I am well aware of VAs propensity to dish out tickets..... There's one cop that hangs out every day on the right hand side of 123 heading west right next to this big tree and some electrical box, i can't figure out why he's there though cause it just seems like an odd hiding spot.
All I can figure is that it must be his Christmas tree.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,162 times
Quote:
No, this is writing tickets for revenue vs. writing tickets for public safety. The cops in Virginia seem to be interested in the former.

Oh yeah, before you make a snarky remark. Just remember I'm Kentucky's problem now and they have FAIR speed limits.
But, now you're in Kentucky. State Troopers Galore. Mark my words, you're going to get nailed.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Studies have shown that, statistically, the safest speed to set the limit at is the 85th percentile speed, that is, the speed at which 85% of drivers fall below. If the road is designed to be traveled at at least that speed (most modern interstates are designed for 80MPH+), then why are the speed limits so low? Obviously, because speeders are being treated as a revenue source.

From my observations (not scientific of course), that stretch of Route 7 should be set at least at 65 MPH.

Believe it or not, many roads have seemingly low speed limits because LOTS of fatalities have occurred on that stretch. Yeah, 65 mph is great until some fool pulls out into your path from a side road. If they set Interstate speeds at 80...people would routinely be going 90 or 100. I'm sure that is factored into the equation.

I drove a wrecker for my father as a kid and did a brief stint as an Arlington cop....and my (not scientific) observation was that the faster that cars were going....the more carnage at the crash scene. Almost forty years later, I still have vivid recollections of some of those "faces of death"...especially the little kids. It changes your outlook.

Anyway, you'll have to forgive me...I'm old and just don't care to risk life, limb, or my license to get somewhere a few minutes sooner. I just leave in time to get where I need to be when I need to be there.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
....Oh yeah, before you make a snarky remark. Just remember I'm Kentucky's problem now and they have FAIR speed limits.

Yo dude, I don't know where you got the idea that I was addressing you....I was not.

Oh, and why are you "Kentucky's problem"? I'm sure the folks out there don't care any more about what you like or don't like than folks here did!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
But, now you're in Kentucky. State Troopers Galore. Mark my words, you're going to get nailed.
I know how to use cruise control and usually either do the limit or only 5 mph over. Plus the part of I-65 I usually travel on has a limit of 70 mph. I ain't getting nailed, not by cops anyway.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The GW Parkway had an experiment with speed cameras a few years ago. There was one near Turkey Run, and another near Gravelly Point. They were turned off after a while, and are not currently active. I think they were even removed, but I haven't studied the area to be sure.

The only speed cameras to worry about are in the District, and in parts of Maryland, like Rockville. VA had red light cameras, got rid of them, and now there seems to be a move to have them again -- all in the name of revenue, since rear-end collisions went down without a corresponding increase in side collisions, so it's not about safety.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-05-2010, 01:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Yo dude, I don't know where you got the idea that I was addressing you....I was not.

Oh, and why are you "Kentucky's problem"? I'm sure the folks out there don't care any more about what you like or don't like than folks here did!
First, I'm not dude.

Second, I was preparing for your remark about my post. I know you really don't like me (as most on this subforum don't) and want to discredit me or RR. Just planning ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia