U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 PM

37 posts, read 55,722 times

Advertisements

We've found a place we really like in Bailey's Crossroads, and I'd love to get some locals' perspective on what this area is like. Can anyone tell me what it's like from a quality of life point of view? Crime, schools, general life...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM

25,824 posts, read 37,937,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitiblue View Post
We've found a place we really like in Bailey's Crossroads, and I'd love to get some locals' perspective on what this area is like. Can anyone tell me what it's like from a quality of life point of view? Crime, schools, general life...
Unless you were living in one of the Skyline buildings, I'd avoid the area. It's pretty ugly and has a pretty low-income population which includes a lot of illegal aliens. Also, has some crime issues.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 PM

5,117 posts, read 9,405,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitiblue View Post
You'd get more meaningful feedback if you were more specific as to the area you're considering. Many people (including, I presume, Alanboy395) associate "Bailey's Crossroads" with the immediate area right around the intersection of Columbia Pike and Route 7. Apart from the Skyline complex that's near the Alexandria border, it's a bit of an eyesore.

On the other hand, sometimes the entire 22041 area code (which includes some really nice residential areas such as Lake Barcroft) is described as "Bailey's Crossroads." If that's what you're talking about, you might get a different response.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,986,213 times
I lived on the Arlington County side of Bailey's Crossroads (just south of Columbia Pike) from 1998-1999. I am over there every once in a while these days; I have friends who live west of Route 7 towards Lake Barcroft. The area's a little run-down, and it's ethnically and economically diverse. I did use "The Club" on my car when I lived there, because my apartment complex had a fair amount of crime involving cars (vandalism, theft from vehicles, etc.) I was working swing-shift tech support at the time, and coming home after 1:00 a.m., I never felt unsafe walking from my car to my apartment.

There are a lot of good ethnic food options and retail stores (including Trader Joe's, Target, Best Buy, Borders, REI, etc.) When my lease was up, I probably would have stayed in the area but my job had moved from Merrifield to Reston.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,057,083 times
I remember the DC area sniper took out one of his victims there.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM

1,294 posts, read 2,342,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I remember the DC area sniper took out one of his victims there.
That incident happened in the 7-Corners neighborhood in the Home Depot's parking lot, a few miles from Bailey's.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

68 posts, read 209,528 times
Well we are sort of new to the area so take it as you want -- we came here from Houston, TX by way of Tuscaloosa, AL...We live in one of the townhouse complexes east of Columbia Pike and south of Leesburg Pike and we like the area.

As for the comment about illegals -- considering you never know whether someone is an illegal alien till you have the gumption to go ask them, one shall never know what the situation is. I'm sure there are illegal aliens here but then again that claim can be made for everywhere in this nation and I bet that over half the people that are accused of being illegal are here in this country legally if not (oh my gosh) citizens of this country.

Bailey's Crossroad is definitely ethnically diverse and we like that about the area (we are both caucasian). Most everything is within a short distance and we wanted a centrally located area for both of our jobs. If you are worried about what the area looks like you can always pop onto google maps and play around with street view to get a feel of the looks. Concerning crime...I've lived in several places and my worst experience crime-wise was Boulder, CO where people would come from Denver, CO to steal (I had 2 different cars and a storage unit broken into within a 2 year period there). Here, I'm comfortable parking my motorcycle outside my townhouse and so are several of my neighbors...

Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,051,874 times
People curious about crime might be interested in this site:

Fairfax County Crime Map - Showing Crime in Fairfax County, VA - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

And if you think that looks bad, check out some of the DC neighborhoods!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 AM

129 posts, read 332,873 times
i grew up there, and it felt like 80% of my class mates came from lower income Hispanic families. Some of which, as someone mentioned, are illegal. Without looking at actual data, i can say there is probably more crime in that area than most places in Fairfax County, but it wasn't dangerous. There weren't murders or kidnappings or any of that stuff, just stuff getting stolen.

All of the pollo grills are off the hook tho!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM

37 posts, read 55,722 times
Thanks everyone. The place we are looking at is close to the Trader Joe's, if that gives a better indication of the area - it's close to Lacy St (blvd?). We were able to drive around a bit when we were there and take a look, but it's sometimes hard to tell from appearances, which is why I thought I'd try to get some locals' opinions.

We've lived in both Atlanta and NYC, so we're pretty used to urban and ethnically diverse environments. The illegal aliens don't really bother me, but crime does, as we do have kids.

Thanks again for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia