Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 37,528 times

Advertisements

HELLO!!!

We're currently living in Florida and relocating to Indiana (not by choice). My husband will be working in Valparaiso and I'm looking to work in Chicago. I love big Cities, a variety of restaurants, museums...etc but most of all a "safe" neighborhood to live and I love the water.

Valparaiso looks like an extremely small town in which I will need a lot of adjusting to but I'm thinking of living in the middle between CHICAGO AND VALPARAISO.

PLEASE if everyone can advise on a good, safe, nice area to live where my husband won't have to drive hours to get to Valparaiso and me to Chicago.

THANKS A MIL from the Sunshine State.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM

320 posts, read 954,861 times
You want to live in Munster.

You're going to have to go to Chicago or Michigan to enjoy the lake properly, though.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
or move to Chesterton .. . you'll be minutes from the national lakeshore and a trainline that takes you directly to the best city in America.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Hey, thanks ... I will google Munster.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Domergurl...really appreciate it. Both of us drive, which will be a quick commute to different locations. Which would you highly recommend, Munster or Chesterton?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:43 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Just an FYI ... Valpo isn't really considered an "extremely" small town.

Munster & Chesterton are both good choices commute-wise if you choose to work downtown. Though Chesterton is much smaller than Valpo. (Actually, come to think of it, I'd bet Munster's population is actually less than Valpo's ... but because the borders butt right up against other towns, unlike Valpo, it doesn't feel that way.)

Valpo's downtown restaurants are fabulous - here's a link that tells more about them: http://www.valpodining.com/

Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM

@ Chuckity, thank you for the info. From the pictures I've seen of Valpo, it appears small but I guess I will have to wait until we move. I'm just concern whether or not I will actually like it there, knowing that I've been raised in New York and now living in FL.

I figure if we live in the middle of Chicago and Valpo, the commute won't be bad but I will def. check out your link.

At this moment, I'm researching where will be ideal to live, a nice community but guess Indiana isn't know for highrises, floor to ceiling windows nor wooden floors, huh?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullan03 View Post
@ Chuckity, thank you for the info. From the pictures I've seen of Valpo, it appears small but I guess I will have to wait until we move. I'm just concern whether or not I will actually like it there, knowing that I've been raised in New York and now living in FL.

I figure if we live in the middle of Chicago and Valpo, the commute won't be bad but I will def. check out your link.

At this moment, I'm researching where will be ideal to live, a nice community but guess Indiana isn't know for highrises, floor to ceiling windows nor wooden floors, huh?
I swear, it's not small, we have a Wal-Mart and a roundabout and everything.

Seriously, though, I grew up in Chicago and because Valpo's borders don't "touch" other towns, we get the rep of being Hootersville. We have great community, two community theatres (Memorial Opera House & Chicago Street Theatre), a real movie theatre, big box shopping (Target, Wal-Mart, JC Penneys, Kohl's, Menards, Home Depot, Barnes & Nobel, Pier One, Best Buy, KMart), a fantastic new YMCA (which is pretty cool), chain restaurants (Applebees, Chili's, TGI Fridays), top notch schools, a great downtown with fantastic dining, blah blah blah.

With all that being said, if you're going to want to work in Chgo, the commute is a bear. You'll need to live as close to the South Shore Line as possible - Chesterton, which is north of Valpo, has it's own station and is a stone's throw away from the lake and expressways.

Munster is another great choice. Great schools and the commute would be better for you. Definitely more suburban - whereas Chesterton & Valpo straddle the line of suburban & rural.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 PM

320 posts, read 954,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullan03 View Post

If those things are what mean the most to you, than move into the South Loop in Chicago, and have your significant other do the reverse commute. Its not unheard of.

Valpo...Chesterton...Munster....all great if you have kids, or are thinking of having kids. They are affordable alternatives to Chicago suburbs. Great schools, good families. Cultural meccas...they are not. We lived five years in Munster, and could count on one hand the number of restaurants in Northwest Indiana that had comparable offerings to downtown Chicago. Lots of chain restaurants. Lots of prople like that...just not our thing.

The best thing you can do is go into this with an open mind though. Your reticence is obvious, and could be off-putting, no matter where you choose. Midwesterners are good folk, but are pretty quick to pick up on coastal bias...the "flyover country" schtick wears thin pretty fast.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I agree with nerve ... move to the city. You seem to be trying to talk yourself into Indiana already, which won't bode well for your expectations. Reverse commuting would be the way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana