Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,494,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine DeLand View Post
You are all so very helpful-thank you. I am debating between St. John and Schereville. I just found out Schereville has city water (somewhat of a factor.) Additionally, Schereville homes seems to be a little less expensive. However, St. John is closer to where I need to be. Shed some light on these issues or any others that you think I should consider?
svillechris and Chuckity gave great information! So I cannot really add much to it. What type of home are you looking for and what is your price range? That will help steer you into the correct area. Thanks!

Also, although Schererville homes tend to be a little less expensive than Saint John, this is mostly because the majority of homes in Saint John are newer than the majority of homes in Schererville. Having said this, the same type of home in Schererville may actually cost (on average) a little more than the same home in Saint John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Both St. John and Schererville are nice safe towns to raise a family. Overall, they are very similar towns, with St. John being a bit more spread out with more open, undeveloped land. Schererville is about twice the size of St. John. As previously stated, they both flow into the same school system. Here are the links from citidata on both towns to give you a feel for them:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Schererville-Indiana.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/St.-John-Indiana.html

Both towns recently won awards as "best place to live" as well:
Scherervilles-Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Schererville, Ind. (71) - Money Magazine

St. John's-
Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: St. John, IN - from MONEY Magazine

I've given my spiel about Schererville on previous posts, and this is what I've told people:
Schererville has a lot of great qualities, so much that it was actually voted #71 in the Top 100 Best Towns of America in 2007 in Money Magazine. I probably like the location more than any other aspect of living in Schererville. Any store you'd need is within 10 mins or so, most of which are in Schererville itself or in neighboring Merrillville near the mall. At the same time you're just 45 mins from Chicago and 20 mins from the beach. Also, if you're into working out, the best gym in the area, Omni41, is located in Schererville.

The safety and overall suburbia neighborhood feel can also be felt all across the town. It's extremely safe and there are no streets or areas of Schererville that I would feel uncomfortable or unsafe walking around in.

Another aspect I love is that real estate prices and taxes are quite affordable in Schererville despite the great quality of living that the town provides. Although Schererville flows into a very good school system, the house prices and taxes remain reasonable for a middle class family. There are plenty of new, very big houses as well. Overall, it's a very solid, middle to upper-middle class, suburban town.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 12,502 times
Thanks for your valuable input. I appreciate it. I am looking in the $300,000 - $350,000 price range. Can you give me an estimate on what my property taxes would be in both towns? Is St. John's taxes higher, lower or same as Schereville in your opinion?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
In NWI, K-5 is called elementary school, 6-7 = middle school, 9-12 = high school. Junior high doesn't exist.
Too late to edit ... but middle should read "6-8".

Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Schererville and St. John taxes are pretty comparable. For a house in the price range you listed, you can expect taxes to be $2800-3200/yr. Obviously you may see some with a bit lower or higher taxes than this, but in general this is what can be expected.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Wow! That's low. I pay ALOT more for same price of home! Thank you!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks, again. I reside in the Boston area which is far from Indiana to physically do the research myself.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

You're very welcome, let us know if there's anything else you'd like to know. Welcome to Northwest Indiana, I'm sure you will be happy with it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana