Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times

Advertisements

If there is one thing that some people in NWI (including me) are....dare I say it..."jealous"..of Illinois for, it is because of 1)high-end shopping, and 2) commuter rail service...(I should say that those two reasons apply more-so to the Lake county residents than the Porter county ones). One thing we are NOT jealous for is the high taxes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
If there is one thing that some people in NWI (including me) are....dare I say it..."jealous"..of Illinois for, it is because of 1)high-end shopping, and 2) commuter rail service...(I should say that those two reasons apply more-so to the Lake county residents than the Porter county ones). One thing we are NOT jealous for is the high taxes!
A dear friend of mine just moved to Naperville. Oh, this was a lady who could NOT STAND to live in Indiana .. oh my, "the boonies" she called it ... well, her husband found a job in Chicago and I remember when she first found out, she wanted me to talk to her about good places to live .. where did she want to live??? Oak Park! Elmhurst! Evanston! Mind you, her large home here in Columbus would cost north of 800K in those towns ... brought her down to earth quickly. I told them that they should be looking in Naperville, St. Charles area (she wouldn't even consider the boonies of NWI). Well, they moved in July and *gasp* she emails me telling me how much more expensive EVERYTHING IS!!! I just laughed and said "told you so" .... the property taxes are stupid high and the sales taxes ... the tiered sales taxes ... are even more stupid. I will say though, the schools in Naperville are much more superior, I'll give her that one.

I don't know, to each his or her own. I don't like the conservative politics of Indiana, but it wouldn't make me want to move. As much as I love Chicago, if we ever find ourselves going back home, we would live in NWI without a doubt. I wouldn't even look over the Illinois border, I like being able to save money.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
A dear friend of mine just moved to Naperville. Oh, this was a lady who could NOT STAND to live in Indiana .. oh my, "the boonies" she called it ... well, her husband found a job in Chicago and I remember when she first found out, she wanted me to talk to her about good places to live .. where did she want to live??? Oak Park! Elmhurst! Evanston! Mind you, her large home here in Columbus would cost north of 800K in those towns ... brought her down to earth quickly. I told them that they should be looking in Naperville, St. Charles area (she wouldn't even consider the boonies of NWI). Well, they moved in July and *gasp* she emails me telling me how much more expensive EVERYTHING IS!!! I just laughed and said "told you so" .... the property taxes are stupid high and the sales taxes ... the tiered sales taxes ... are even more stupid. I will say though, the schools in Naperville are much more superior, I'll give her that one.

I don't know, to each his or her own. I don't like the conservative politics of Indiana, but it wouldn't make me want to move. As much as I love Chicago, if we ever find ourselves going back home, we would live in NWI without a doubt. I wouldn't even look over the Illinois border, I like being able to save money.
The "big cheese" in my department lives in West Chicago. Went there once for a party, and as the wife and I are leaving, we're looking around the area (cute, nicely-maintained downtown area). We saw a small, older home for sale, and there were flyers, so I got curious. $190,000 asking price, which was cheaper than I thought. Then you see the tax bill -- nearly $7,000/year. I about choked.

And just think -- folks over there pay a lot more in property taxes and sales taxes. Still, all of those local governments are griping about being broke. No thanks, I'll pass.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
subject much talked about here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...uture-nwi.html

Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
Yeah, I really didn't mean for this to turn into a post as to why those who purchased homes in IL were wrong or overpaid. Instead, I wanted to debate the honest truth, which is that Indiana (including NWI - although it's not the same as the rest of the state), has this bad stigma. Any ideas as to what can be done to change or improve that image? I suggested in my original post on this thread that education needs to be stressed as the first and most important factor. After that, most other things will fall into place and over time, the perception will hopefully change for the better.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I really don't think it has a stigma except with a small minority of people. And who cares.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 PM

stigma is as stigma does I guess ...

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I really don't think it has a stigma except with a small minority of people. And who cares.
I think it's actually a lot more people than you imagine. Do you work in Illinois? Almost all of the people I work with feel the same way about Indiana, and they're all wrong. Not that they try to be, it's just what they know(or don't know). The media's portrayal of Indiana with its cornfields really doesn't help the situation.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I think it's actually a lot more people than you imagine. Do you work in Illinois? Almost all of the people I work with feel the same way about Indiana, and they're all wrong. Not that they try to be, it's just what they know(or don't know). The media's portrayal of Indiana with its cornfields really doesn't help the situation.
yea, no cornfields in Illinois I remember when Ditka used to say "out in Indiana" ... always made me think that he's obviously never been outside of the city limits.

The same goes on in NYC ... Manhattanites think living on Long Island or New Jersey is akin to leaving paradise. And don't get them started on upstate ... well, you may as well be heading for mars.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 AM

17,356 posts, read 14,613,136 times
1. I think the stigma definitely exists.

2. I don't think it's EVERYONE who lives west of Hammond & Dyer who has a stick up their rear end about Indiana.

If I had to make an observation based on personal experience, I'd say that the ones who are more apt to look down their nose at Hoosiers reside north of Hyde Park & Midway Airport and west of Orland. South siders have their own stigmas to deal with and hell, most of their families have been moving out this way for years.

But we're all pretty darned big on stereotypes. Quick: tell me what someone who lives in Lincon Park looks like? Bridgeport? Barrington (said with a Cameron Frye accent)? Cicero? Naperville? Calumet City?

Dollar to a donut you conjured up images in your head or key words to correspond with each town. Indiana is no different ... except it seems every town in NWI is lumped together in one vision for some.

I know some people on this forum are huge proponents of the South Shore coming to Munster - and I think it's a great idea. But I do wish that before that, that the Gary Airport would be re-developed into a substantial 3rd airport alternative. It's always been mind boggling to me that here is this potential jewel that would spur industry & create much needed jobs in this region ... and it just sits there. No roads need to be built - it's there. No train - it's there. Obviously the 3rd airport is another topic for another thread ... but you'd think that after all these years someone with political clout would've taken this project under their wing. Peotone & Beecher protest against a 3rd airport, and Gary sits right here with open arms. This world is so completely f'd up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana