Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,161 times

Advertisements

As some of you who browse the Chicago Suburbs board may have seen, we had a debate about why people from Illinois wouldn't consider NWI as a viable option when considering a place to live in the Chicagoland area. Among other reasons, the reason of "because it's Indiana" was discussed. This is referring to the stigma that if you're from Indiana, people think less of you, think you're from a cornfield, are rednecks, and love Nascar. As many of us NWI residents are aware, our area is nothing like this, and this image of our towns is extremely misinformed and ill founded.

So many people, primarily from the Chicagoland suburbs in Illinois, still honestly feel this way about Indiana and have completely labeled this area with that image, not deservedly so. However, that's what people think. So I ask you, what do you think can be done to change this image?

If you ask me, I feel like it all stars with education. The better education, the better jobs, the more income, the higher property values (assuming those people elect to stay in NWI after obtaining a quality job, which is a big IF)...and the cycle continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 PM

29 posts, read 80,781 times
I say keep the stigma the way it is...it keeps out the yuppie douchebags :-)

Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,624,789 times

YouTube - R Dean Taylor - Indiana Wants Me 1970

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasdawg View Post
Huh? Since when does NWI not have any yuppie douche-bags?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 PM

29 posts, read 80,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Huh? Since when does NWI not have any yuppie douche-bags?
Hello?? I'm talking about the people in Illinois...

The whole point of this thread is that they think we're a bunch of Nascar-watching, cornfed hillbillies...I say, let them think that because we DON'T want any yuppie douchebags here anyway..geez

Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Hello?? I'm talking about the people in Illinois...
Well, I'd hate to break it to you but there are pleanty of white people in Illinois who are flocking to NWI to get away from "changing neighorhoods". I call many of these people yuppie douche-bags.

I personally don't view NWI as a bunch of cornfed hillbillies because I know better.. Although I do think the OP brings up a good point.

Last edited by urza216; 08-22-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times
Quote:
I would rather have the yuppie douchebags than the thuggish douchebags. At last my property values increase and the area stays safer with the former.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
I just moved from IL and a lot of my friends/family are jealous. They'd do the same if they could get out from under their houses right now, or didn't have obligations that keep them in their neighborhoods. There's always going to be a few people looking for others to put down for no good reason. I remember when Chicagoland first started splitting telephone area codes and "S/he's so 708" was, stupidly, a put-down for a short while. People can be ridiculous.
While we're on the subject, reading this forum I get the feeling sometimes that some people have a little bit of an inferiority complex about being in Indiana rather than Chicago. I see nothing better about being from Orland rather than NWI. And there are probably people in Orland who think, "Our area should be more like Oak Brook."

Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I just moved from IL and a lot of my friends/family are jealous. They'd do the same if they could get out from under their houses right now, or didn't have obligations that keep them in their neighborhoods. There's always going to be a few people looking for others to put down for no good reason. I remember when Chicagoland first started splitting telephone area codes and "S/he's so 708" was, stupidly, a put-down for a short while. People can be ridiculous.
While we're on the subject, reading this forum I get the feeling sometimes that some people have a little bit of an inferiority complex about being in Indiana rather than Chicago. I see nothing better about being from Orland rather than NWI. And there are probably people in Orland who think, "Our area should be more like Oak Brook."
Well, welcome to NWI and we're glad you made the move over to this side of the border. Similar to your situation, I literally have never met anyone or heard of anyone that has moved from IL to NWI and has not been happy with their move. It's really the people that just aren't informed and familiar with NWI that have this inaccurate image of NWI in their heads for whatever reason.

As for the inferiority complex, I wouldn't say that people from NWI have that to those from IL suburbs. I say we're just about the same as anyone else living in a Chicago suburb. Now, that might change a bit when comparing oneself to those from Winnetka, Wilmette, Lake Forest, etc, but 99% of us are in that camp. If anything, I've experienced it the other way around. It's not NWI residents feeling inferior, it's IL residents with the superiority complex towards NWI that I've witnessed time and time again.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
We occasionally have quite a spritely debate on the inferiority complex of Indianapolis ... it's everywhere.

People choose to live where they live for a variety of reasons. I don't know, I find that the expense of living in Illinois vs. living in Indiana is solely "just so I can say I live in Illinois" ... hey, freedom of choice sayeth I.

There are a few Chicago transplants here in the Indiana office, don't hear much complaining (other than the food ... I'LL OWN THAT ONE!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana