Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 32,570 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the south suburbs of Chicago...my husband commutes via the Metra to downtown Chicago every day. We love the walkability of our town BUT we are not happy with the crime rates and how the neighborhood is changing. The schools in our area aren't what they used to be and we want to move before our children are of school age (gives us about 3 years).

We really like Valpo (more than Chesteron but will consider it too).
The small town feel, the schools seem great, and of course the value for our money! I am from the north side of Chicago and either want to move to the northern burbs or venture out to Valpo/Che. The value for our money is making me want to move to NWI...but the biggest concern of course would be my husband's commute! He doesn't mind the long train ride since he would be happier to have our money go further.

1. Do you think this commute is doable??
2. What areas of Valpo/Chester. do you recommend to find a newer home nestled in mature trees!

Any input would be great...thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
If your husband would certainly commute via South Shore into Chicago, then I would only consider Chesterton so as to be close to the Dune Park station. Living in Valpo will easily add another 15-20 minutes to an already long commute each day, and in the winter the drive along 49 might not be too much fun. Living in Chesterton, you're still not far from the conveniences available in Valpo.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Valpo and Chesterton are very solid, nice areas, with good schools. However given the fact that you are used to taking the Metra downtown, I would choose Chesterton.

However, on another note, keep in mind that if you are considering the northern suburbs of Chicago (and want aspects of that area in whatever town you choose) Valpo/Chesterton may not exactly fit the bill. So this is something to think about. The closest town to the north suburbs in terms of the feel is probably Munster (which is closer to Chicago by train and car, very safe, and has excellent schools) or Saint John (still closer to Chicago than Valpo and with decent schools as well...but further from a train). Just a thought!

Downtown Valpo is walkable and offers a good small town feel. However for more modern/everyday products, you will most likely have to hop in the car.

What price range did you set for your housing?

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-04-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 32,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Valpo and Chesterton are very solid, nice areas, with good schools. However given the fact that you are used to taking the Metra downtown, I would choose Chesterton.

However, on another note, keep in mind that if you are considering the northern suburbs of Chicago (and want aspects of that area in whatever town you choose) Valpo/Chesterton may not exactly fit the bill. So this is something to think about. The closest town to the north suburbs in terms of the feel is probably Munster (which is closer to Chicago by train and car, very safe, and has excellent schools) or Saint John (still closer to Chicago than Valpo and with decent schools as well...but further from a train). Just a thought!

Downtown Valpo is walkable and offers a good small town feel. However for more modern/everyday products, you will most likely have to hop in the car.

What price range did you set for your housing?

Yes I know that there is a huge difference between the northern burbs and NWI...part of the reason I am leaning towards NWI We'd like to spend around high 200's if possible for a nice house (again since that is our ideal price range it would actually buy a nice house in NWI rather than chicago burbs)

Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2010 View Post
Yes I know that there is a huge difference between the northern burbs and NWI...part of the reason I am leaning towards NWI We'd like to spend around high 200's if possible for a nice house (again since that is our ideal price range it would actually buy a nice house in NWI rather than chicago burbs)
Thanks for clarification! I messaged you a home that I found that you may like! It is proposed construction.

I also suggest you check out The Village in Burns Harbor. It is in Burns Harbor, Indiana (near Chesterton) but is still in the Duneland School district. It has nice, new, but "non-McMansion homes" and has kids in the neighborhood. It is a little further east from the Dune Acres train station but you could use the Ogden Dunes station as well. I am not too familiar with this specific area, but I hope this helps!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
I agree with everyone here, although I respect your husband for his willingness to sacrifice his time for a better home for his family, the commute from downtown to Valpo via the South Shore is rough. I did it for a while, and depending where in Chicago he's going to work, you can chalk up almost a 2 hour commute one way. In the winter, it's even worse as Route 49 turns into an ice rink. If working in Chicago and wanting a choice between Valpo and Chesterton, I'd choose Chesterton. Nothing against Valpo, it's a wonderful town all around, but for the sake of your husband's sanity Chesterton would be a better fit.

Also, I wanted to point out that if you're looking for some land with trees, you may want to try St. John. I commute downtown every day from Schererville, and had previously done so from Valpo, so if you have any questions feel free to send me a private message.

P.S. - you're making a VERY wise decision choosing NWI, the value that you get living in NWI compared to IL suburbs makes a bit longer commute very worth it

Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 PM

320 posts, read 954,611 times
Been there, done that as far as the commute in concerned.

If your husband's job is one where he HAS to be in the office at a certain time, and working from home isn't an option, than consider Munster. Best schools around, and you can find a decent home in that range. We were very happy there (wife and I are also North Siders)

The South Shore line from the outer regions (Dune Park/Beverly/Michigan City) can get a bit dicey, especially in the winter.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,786 times
ChicagoDASH Bus Service

Valpo has a bus service to downtown chicago for the same price (last I heard) as the southshore.

Looks like 1:20 commute, plus they have wi-fi.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee View Post
ChicagoDASH Bus Service

Valpo has a bus service to downtown chicago for the same price (last I heard) as the southshore.

Looks like 1:20 commute, plus they have wi-fi.
The bus gets stuck in the same traffic that cars do. So as far as commute time, it does not make any difference.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Valpo has more amenities than Chesterton, but I have to echo the concerns of some of the other posters about the commute. The train is the best option and that's going to be at least 1.5hrs from Valpo when you include driving to Dune Pk. Will your husband commute 5 days a week? How long is your current commute?

Chesterton has a nice vibe to it...small town, not overdeveloped. Much more well-connected to Chicago than Valpo, while managing to maintiain a very exurban feel. It has a good amount of tree cover so I don't expect you'd have difficulty finding a "nice newer home nestled within mature trees" within the price range you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana