U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM

39 posts, read 112,816 times

Advertisements

When looking on the Indiana sites, I see nothing positive about the Gary, Indiana area. My daughter is looking for an x-ray tech job, and there is an opening in Hobart. Can anyone give us some info on Hobart? Is it safer than Gary? Any info would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 PM

6,494 posts, read 12,005,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopergurl View Post
When looking on the Indiana sites, I see nothing positive about the Gary, Indiana area. My daughter is looking for an x-ray tech job, and there is an opening in Hobart. Can anyone give us some info on Hobart? Is it safer than Gary? Any info would be appreciated.
Honestly, there's not much good to say about Gary itself. Gary is so bad that East Chicago and Hammond almost look vibrant and wealthy by comparison. That said, what too many fail to note is that just outside of Gary are some very nice communities in which to live.

You'll get varying opinions on Hobart. Too me, it's like a lot of small NW Indiana towns, although perhaps a little disconnected from the rest of Lake County and not as affluent. Yes, Hobart is safer than Gary. So far as where to live, though, she could also look at Valparaiso or Crown Point. Both are solid communities with easy commutes into Hobart.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM

39 posts, read 112,816 times
Thank you for the info. We will definately keep in mind Valparaiso and Crown Point when looking for apartment.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM

43,630 posts, read 18,692,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopergurl View Post
ANYPLACE is safer than Gary, Indiana. I live in Valparaiso and work in Gary. You would NOT feel safe in Gary. There are lots of nice towns around here. Hobart would be a fine place for a young person to live and start her career. Good luck to your daughter!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM

23 posts, read 97,975 times
We live in Hobart and we absolutely love it here. The school system is great and the city itself is close to everything you need. The mall in Merrillville along with all the resturants, etc. Housing is more affordable in Hobart, compared to Valpo, or Chesterton, because those towns are more affluent. But, we really enjoy living here.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM

2,140 posts, read 5,162,570 times
To me, Hobart is one the few remaining and attractive solid middle class towns in NWI. It has a new high school, affordable housing, and is close to everything. Also, being a town where the majority of people are in the same income bracket, residents will not feel like there is a big "have vs. have-nots" conflict as there are in other towns which, I think, makes for a friendlier environment. Additionally, Hobart has taken steps to beautify its natural settings (the area around the lake) and is encouraging business to fix their facades. This is something that should be commended because it is helping the property values rise. If you want to live in an area that is convenient, affordable, and with decent schools, Hobart is a good choice! The ONLY negative that I have heard about Hobart is that

Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 11,713,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
ANYPLACE is safer than Gary, Indiana. I live in Valparaiso and work in Gary. You would NOT feel safe in Gary. There are lots of nice towns around here. Hobart would be a fine place for a young person to live and start her career. Good luck to your daughter!
I agree with this ... sorta.

If you're working in Gary, I have little doubt about your safety. Tons & tons & tons of NWI'ers working in Gary & East Chicago on a daily basis and make it out just fine.

Am I wrong in thinking that there are jobs for your daughter in Hobart & Gary? Truthfully, if I were her, I'd interview for both and, if offered of course, take the position with the best pay, benefits, etc. Don't cross it off the list just because the location is in Gary.

Hobart would be a great place to live - for jobs in both Hobart & Gary. But with VERY few execeptions, I would only look at housing that was south of Rt. 6 (also known as 37th or Ridge Rd.)

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,026 times
On February 15, 2011 my mother and I discussed finding a home in the Hobart, IN area. However, when I went out searching and placed calls to such real estate companies as Your Choice Realty, Rose and Remax, I was told over and over again that the homes were no longer available even though the "for sale" signs were clearly posted. I was even told coincidentally that two homes on the same street were sold. One agent told me a home was sold right after he told me he had no information on the home. However, I noticed these replies only came after I divulged my unique, african-american name.

It appears to me that these companies are now simply lying to patrons to keep them out of the areas, which I can't say I would want to be in the Hobart, IN after having this experience. Mom and I are now seeking a home somewhere else. We don't want to be around people who's judgment is only skin-color deep.

However, by saying that these properties are unavailable to select patrons the companies know the patron has no way of finding out if the homes were actually sold, making it easy for the real estate companies to "get off". I must be in the twilight zone about this because apparently real estate companies have been keeping white neighborhoods white and black ones black for years.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 AM

6,494 posts, read 12,005,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdulkh View Post
On February 15, 2011 my mother and I discussed finding a home in the Hobart, IN area. However, when I went out searching and placed calls to such real estate companies as Your Choice Realty, Rose and Remax, I was told over and over again that the homes were no longer available even though the "for sale" signs were clearly posted. I was even told coincidentally that two homes on the same street were sold. One agent told me a home was sold right after he told me he had no information on the home. However, I noticed these replies only came after I divulged my unique, african-american name.

It appears to me that these companies are now simply lying to patrons to keep them out of the areas, which I can't say I would want to be in the Hobart, IN after having this experience. Mom and I are now seeking a home somewhere else. We don't want to be around people who's judgment is only skin-color deep.

However, by saying that these properties are unavailable to select patrons the companies know the patron has no way of finding out if the homes were actually sold, making it easy for the real estate companies to "get off". I must be in the twilight zone about this because apparently real estate companies have been keeping white neighborhoods white and black ones black for years.
It is possible that these homes were pending sale (i.e. an offer had been made, accepted, and everything is in process, but the sale is not final).

That said, if you truly feel that you've suffered discrimination, I encourage you to file a complaint with the attorney general. Info: PLA: File a Complaint

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM

17,696 posts, read 38,284,300 times
sigh ... I'm sorry to hear this. I encourage you to followup with the attorney general!

btw, my friend's house has been on the market in hobart for over a year! If one of the houses you were interested in was hers, she would be very hacked to find out that they are turning people away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana