Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Please provide data or other support that shows Rich and Bloom Township schools are "great". Also please enlighten us how these schools are better than Munster schools. Any reply which fails to provide support for your uneducated claims are to be taken as an admission that you're wrong.

Do all schools and school districts in an area have to be great? Even the ones that your kid won't even be attending? What sense does that make? I just said that the grade school in my neighborhood that my kid hasn't even started yet is great. In fact it was awarded the blue ribbon award last year. You go on about some other garbage. Does an affluent family living in chicago care that all schools in chicago aren't great? And for your information, most schools in indiana aren't great either.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
thanks for admitting allan! I'll be happy to provide you with info on the excellent schools of NWI anytime you'd like!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
You mean a brand new CHARTER high school?
Yes, it was a great idea to open a new high school for the area students.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Do all schools and school districts in an area have to be great? Even the ones that your kid won't even be attending?What sense does that make? I just said that the grade school in my neighborhood that my kid hasn't even started yet is great. In fact it was awarded the blue ribbon award last year. You go on about some other garbage. Does an affluent family living in chicago care that all schools in chicago aren't great? And for your information, most schools in indiana aren't great either.
Do all schools and school districts in an area have to be great?

Usually when you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a home that you plan to live in for a while, then you look at the quality of a school district ESPECIALLY if the town is relatively small.

Even the ones that your kid won't even be attending?

Yes

What sense does that make?

Well let's say that you live in a nice area of town where the homes are $1M+ and the schools are good...then on the other side of town where the homes are $100K the schools suck...guess what...if the schools are in the same district and a school is failing, then school choice kicks in. Now all of the sudden, the school district you paid a million to live in, someone else who lives in a much cheaper district gets to attend. And chances are, the students from the others schools will bring down the better school.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Do all schools and school districts in an area have to be great?

Usually when you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a home that you plan to live in for a while, then you look at the quality of a school district ESPECIALLY if the town is relatively small.

Even the ones that your kid won't even be attending?

Yes

What sense does that make?

Well let's say that you live in a nice area of town where the homes are $1M+ and the schools are good...then on the other side of town where the homes are $100K the schools suck...guess what...if the schools are in the same district and a school is failing, then school choice kicks in. Now all of the sudden, the school district you paid a million to live in, someone else who lives in a much cheaper district gets to attend. And chances are, the students from the others schools will bring down the better school.

That is total what if bull. The district has a brand new charter high school that has just opened this year. One of it's grade schools was awarded the blue ribbon award last year along with 10-15 other schools in the entire state, including grade schools and high schools. Why can't we seem to acknowledge any of these facts. They are big ones.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
That is total what if bull. The district has a brand new charter high school that has just opened this year. One of it's grade schools won the blue ribbon award last year. Why can't we seem to acknowledge any of these facts. They are big ones.
In my educated opinion, the general public would rather invest in a town (not city like Chicago, but a town) with a good school system as opposed to a town in a district with only couple good schools and other not so good ones. The only exception is if there are features of the area that cannot be matched in any other town (Beach, good shopping, etc).

Yes. I acknowledge the fact. Arcadia High school is a blue ribbon school. That is very good!

As far as the Charter High School though...is there ANY reason why it was opened? Did the fact that the other local high schools (aka Rich East, Rich South, Rich Central) were not good schools have ANYTHING to do with it? Or did someone just decide "I want to open a charter high school"?

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 10-25-2010 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: identified schools

Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 PM

17,405 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Well be mind boggled, because we have great schools. And guess what? There getting better. We just opened up a brand new high school this year. And the grade school that my daughter will be attending next year was awarded the blue ribbon award just this past year.

This whole ''school vs school" debacle can be traced back to the now locked Homewood thread.

What I really don't get, allen, is that you're not an unintelligent person - there's a part of you that knows that HF schools just aren't what they used to be. Has it turned into CVS? Uh, no. But the old gray mare just ain't what she used to be.

But back to what I don't get - I don't get why you aren't ticked off beyond belief. If my school district started slipping, I'd be screaming from the ever lovin' rooftops and getting to the bottom of the issue BEFORE it got too late. I wouldn't be so accepting, I wouldn't brush it off, I wouldn't - no, I couldn't excuse it.

You have so much pride in your community ... why in the world aren't you saying, "yes, HF isn't the top of the heap any longer, but we have a plan in place to reverse the trend".

I just don't get it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
In my educated opinion, the general public would rather invest in a town (not city like Chicago, but a town) with a good school system as opposed to a town in a district with only couple good schools and other not so good ones. The only exception is if there are features of the area that cannot be matched in any other town (Beach, good shopping, etc).

Yes. I acknowledge the fact. Arcadia High school is a blue ribbon school. That is very good!

As far as the Charter High School though...is there ANY reason why it was opened? Did the fact that the other local high schools were not good schools have ANYTHING to do with it? Or did someone just decide "I want to open a charter high school"?
I think schools can change for the better. My area being an example. Location cannot. People I know in my town are no longer sitting around talking about great public schools we are on that path and now have some of our own public schools to brag about. You no longer have to move further out to get a decent public school. Get over it. And I hear more people getting back to talking about the kind of things that made this area special to begin with and has a 100 year tradition for. I am hearing more talk about the U.S. Amateur Championship coming to olympia fields in 2015 this past week than anything.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I think schools can change for the better. My area being an example. Location cannot. People I know in my town are no longer sitting around talking about great public schools we are on that path and now have some of our own public schools to brag about. You no longer have to move further out to get a decent public school. Get over it. And I hear more people getting back to talking about the kind of things that made this area special to begin with and has a 100 year tradition for. I am hearing more talk about the U.S. Amateur Championship coming to olympia fields in 2015 this past week than anything.
Get over what? You act like Munster is soooo far out compared to Olympia Fields. And while you can brag about your "improving schools" to other towns in the south suburbs (like Country Club Hills, Harvey, etc.) good luck trying to brag to schools in the Southwest, West, Northwest, and North Suburbs and even NWI. And I am talking about bragging to towns that are even remotely comparable. Bragging to Gary, Indiana, or Cicero, IL is nothing to be proud of. Try bragging to actual legitimately good places if you feel the need to brag. Until there is a CONSISTENT upward trend in all of the schools, you cannot say they are getting better. Nobody will take you seriously.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Get over what? You act like Munster is soooo far out compared to Olympia Fields. And while you can brag about your "improving schools" to other towns in the south suburbs (like Country Club Hills, Harvey, etc.) good luck trying to brag to schools in the Southwest, West, Northwest, and North Suburbs and even NWI. And I am talking about bragging to towns that are even remotely comparable. Bragging to Gary, Indiana, or Cicero, IL is nothing to be proud of. Try bragging to actual legitimately good places if you feel the need to brag. Until there is a CONSISTENT upward trend in all of the schools, you cannot say they are getting better. Nobody will take you seriously.

Well you guys can brag compared to your neighbor hammond and highland. But, as far as my area goes. Having a new charter high school and another school in the district being awarded the blue ribbon for academic excellence. Something no school in NWI has EVER been awarded to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana