Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 47,710 times

Advertisements

I'm going to keep this short, but if you look at Gary's 2009 crime rate, it is now less than both Hammond's and East Chicago's. Do you think Gary is improving as a whole now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,254,962 times
Can you post a link to the sources you are looking at?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

According to city-data, while the actual crime rate is lower, murder rates in Gary are still higher than Hammond or E. Chicago, but E. Chicago's incidence of rape is creeping up very near that of Gary's. With regard to robberies, the data indicate that Gary does have a lower incidence than both Hammond and E. Chicago. I didn't have the energy to compile comparisons on the other smaller crimes, but they would also seem to indicate a lower incidence in Gary than Hammond or E. Chicago as a general rule.

Murders in 2009 (per 100,000 people):
Gary: 51.2
Hammond: 14.5
E. Chicago: 40.4

Rapes in 2009 (per 100,000 people):
Gary: 49.4
Hammond: 39.4
E. Chicago: 47.1

Robberies in 2009 (per 100,000 people):
Gary: 303.5
Hammond: 306.2
E. Chicago: 474.3

Overall Crime Rate 2009 (per 100,000 people):
Gary: 517.2
Hammond: 535.8
E. Chicago: 633.9

https://www.city-data.com/city/Gary-Indiana.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Hammond-Indiana.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/East-Chicago-Indiana.html

According to city-data, these data actually would appear to suggest Gary improving even if slightly, which I was not expecting to see. What I find particularly interesting is that Gary's overall crime rate in 2009 is the lowest it has been in the past ten years. It would be interesting to compare city-data to some other sources to see if there is any consistency with these findings.

Gary's Overall Crime Rate 1999-2009
1999: 670.0
2000: 657.7
2001: 707.7
2002: 609.5
2003: 663.5
2004: 602.6
2005: 626.8
2006: 621.7
2007: 619.9
2008: 594.9
2009: 517.2

Last edited by Bluefox; 11-17-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM

738 posts, read 1,886,909 times
Don't believe everything you read: especially when it comes to crime. All involved with the census try to arrange the numbers to please their own gain in whatever circumstance seems fit. Gary will always be known for the crime and corruption that has been ongoing and continues. Everyone has heard of Gary Indiana. And not in a favorable fashion.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Don't believe everything you read: especially when it comes to crime. All involved with the census try to arrange the numbers to please their own gain in whatever circumstance seems fit. Gary will always be known for the crime and corruption that has been ongoing and continues. Everyone has heard of Gary Indiana. And not in a favorable fashion.

So what I gained from your post is that:

(1) People involved with the census "try to arrange numbers to please their own gain in whatever circumstance seems fit" meaning they are trying to skew the numbers to make Gary look safer than it actually is?

(2) You are saying that "Gary will always be known for crime and corruption that has been ongoing and continues", and because "Everyone has heard of Gary Indiana" and "Not in a favorable fashion" that automatically trumps any data that would indicate a possible change in direction?

The problem I have with the first quote is that I fail to see the incentive for the census bureau (which is what I assume you are referring to?) to do that. And even so, I got this data off of city-data.com . How could they even skew numbers in this way without literally underreporting crime? And why would they do that? What "gain" would they be "pleasing"?

The problem I have with the second statement is that it is not logically sound. How is the fact that "everyone has heard of Gary" causally connected with an assumption that Gary will never change in the future?

I don't think Gary is at all a safe or desirable place to live. I'm not saying Gary will change anytime soon, and I'm also not saying that this information necessarily says anything positive about Gary, Hammond, or E. Chicago. But words like "always" and "never" are just too extreme.

I'm just saying why don't we let the data speak for themselves and look at them with an open mind, instead of relying on tired, worn-out stereotypes?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 PM

738 posts, read 1,886,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
So what I gained from your post is that:

(1) People involved with the census "try to arrange numbers to please their own gain in whatever circumstance seems fit" meaning they are trying to skew the numbers to make Gary look safer than it actually is?

(2) You are saying that "Gary will always be known for crime and corruption that has been ongoing and continues", and because "Everyone has heard of Gary Indiana" and "Not in a favorable fashion" that automatically trumps any data that would indicate a possible change in direction?

The problem I have with the first quote is that I fail to see the incentive for the census bureau (which is what I assume you are referring to?) to do that. And even so, I got this data off of city-data.com . How could they even skew numbers in this way without literally underreporting crime? And why would they do that? What "gain" would they be "pleasing"?

The problem I have with the second statement is that it is not logically sound. How is the fact that "everyone has heard of Gary" causally connected with an assumption that Gary will never change in the future?

I don't think Gary is at all a safe or desirable place to live. I'm not saying Gary will change anytime soon, and I'm also not saying that this information necessarily says anything positive about Gary, Hammond, or E. Chicago. But words like "always" and "never" are just too extreme.

I'm just saying why don't we let the data speak for themselves and look at them with an open mind, instead of relying on tired, worn-out stereotypes?
was born and raised in Gary, Richard Hatcher was mayor at one time....i knew cops, state troopers, highway patrol ect ect. Many friends of mine were in high places.
You may choose to believe whatever you wish to believe. That is your choice and i am just voicing mine. No Harm Done.

Don't live in Gary now and would never go back
Live in paradise now.....

Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,757,847 times
Interesting photos ...

Lost treasures of the city - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_weekend/20101210/ts_yblog_weekend/lost-treasures-of-the-city - broken link)

Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 PM

363 posts, read 1,045,355 times
Born and raised in Gary - actually Tolleston. Now back in Glen Park and glad to be HOME!

Rather than percentages, I want to see the actual numbers. Then I can draw my own conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana