Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times

Advertisements

Aldi bought TJ's a few years ago. I thought Aldi had a distribution center in Valpo ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
That sounds about right to me. Even in San Diego, a city of about 1.3 million people, there are only two Whole Foods Markets. In the entire city. Two!

What did St. John do to **** off Aldi? And I thought that Aldi wasn't the parent company of TJ's, but rather that the two companies were just owned by the same family?
Basically, St. John did not want to have an Aldi's locate there because of the impression that it would draw a "negative element" into the town. Given the fact that Aldi's in Highland moved into Hammond and wanted to build in Saint John, many residents thought that it would make St. John less attractive for more upscale businesses. Aldi's has been trying to improve its image by upgrading and building new stores and offering a larger selection, but the name still does not sit well with many people due to the fact that it is a "discount grocer".

I think the strange thing is that I have not heard many people say anything regarding the Kmart that is also in town (that has been there for years). I am kind of surprised that residents have not tried to drive out Kmart...or maybe some have? I have no idea.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
Aldi's has one of the best chocolate selections of any store I've ever been to. I'll admit, I wasn't an Aldi shopper until the last couple years. I love shopping there now. It reminds me of groceries in Europe where the cashiers sit down and the prices cannot be beat.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,392 times
And right there is why we won't get any organic or trendy markets in this area. It's not just the "Gary element", it's that people around here don't like change. Point blank, the place is too bland and non-progressive.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Aldi's has one of the best chocolate selections of any store I've ever been to. I'll admit, I wasn't an Aldi shopper until the last couple years. I love shopping there now. It reminds me of groceries in Europe where the cashiers sit down and the prices cannot be beat.
I agree! I started going there just because I am lazy (it's the closest grocery to my house) but soon came to love the tiny size, the cleanliness, and the specialty imported items. I also like that they charge for bags and "cart rental". The cashiers are super-duper fast (the German model of efficiency?) and I am in and out in under 20 min.

I combine Aldi's with a trip to the local Farmers Market or CSA (Double Oak Farms ~yay~! ) and find that I can avoid the big Mega Mart for months at a time.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread (since I'm down south in Columbus, with Domergurl.....) BUT I've often lamented not having a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in our neck of the woods.

What has transpired down here, recently, is that a group of like-minded folks have banded together for form our own Food Co-Op (Columbus Cooperative Grocery and Market :: Home) with support and guidance from Bloomingfoods. Bloomingfoods - Home

Is there anyway you could do this in your neck of the woods?

I moved to IN from Austin TX and still remember when Whole Foods was a tiny, slightly dingy, little natural foods store on Lamar Blvd. Many Austinites still haven't forgiven them for going all corporate-y and continure to support Wheatsville instead. Wheatsville Co-op

My point being, if the Corporate Big Boys won't come to YOU, why not go out and make your OWN natural foods store?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I agree! I started going there just because I am lazy (it's the closest grocery to my house) but soon came to love the tiny size, the cleanliness, and the specialty imported items. I also like that they charge for bags and "cart rental". The cashiers are super-duper fast (the German model of efficiency?) and I am in and out in under 20 min.

I combine Aldi's with a trip to the local Farmers Market or CSA (Double Oak Farms ~yay~! ) and find that I can avoid the big Mega Mart for months at a time.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread (since I'm down south in Columbus, with Domergurl.....) BUT I've often lamented not having a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in our neck of the woods.

What has transpired down here, recently, is that a group of like-minded folks have banded together for form our own Food Co-Op (Columbus Cooperative Grocery and Market :: Home) with support and guidance from Bloomingfoods. Bloomingfoods - Home

Is there anyway you could do this in your neck of the woods?

I moved to IN from Austin TX and still remember when Whole Foods was a tiny, slightly dingy, little natural foods store on Lamar Blvd. Many Austinites still haven't forgiven them for going all corporate-y and continure to support Wheatsville instead. Wheatsville Co-op

My point being, if the Corporate Big Boys won't come to YOU, why not go out and make your OWN natural foods store?
This is a really insightful post. NWI does have a few smaller and more grassroots organic shops like Au Naturel (sp?) in Valpo, as well as a sprinkling of seasonal farmers' markets here and there. I think it would start by supporting these kinds of enterprises. The common complaint is that they have a smaller selection of products and are somewhat more expensive than even Whole Foods, but I also know many people wouldn't mind paying a little extra if they (1) are looking for organic food and (2) know they are supporting the local economy.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 PM

17,354 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
I've been personally boycotting Aldi's since the mid 90s.

The one and only time I tried to go there (it was the one in Hazel Crest in Illinois) I had two kids under 2. I wrangled them up to the store and didn't realize I had to PAY for a damn cart. Stupid frickin' chained up carts.

ARRRGHHH!

Took my butt to Jewel and haven't been back since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
This is a really insightful post. NWI does have a few smaller and more grassroots organic shops like Au Naturel (sp?) in Valpo, as well as a sprinkling of seasonal farmers' markets here and there. I think it would start by supporting these kinds of enterprises. The common complaint is that they have a smaller selection of products and are somewhat more expensive than even Whole Foods, but I also know many people wouldn't mind paying a little extra if they (1) are looking for organic food and (2) know they are supporting the local economy.
Wiseway has made some big advances in organics. Don't laugh (I know how silly this sounds) but there's now a whole AISLE of organics.

There actually is a wide variety of foodstuffs in that aisle.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times
I think we are spoiled b/c of the fierce competition in prices. In Chicago, Jewel is a steal while here they are viewed as expensive. So I don't think enough people would buy all their groceries at a Whole Foods. They'd just get their produce/specialty items and it wouldn't be profitable. And to the Aldi shoppers, you know most of that stuff isn't much, if any, cheaper then sale prices on national brands. That place is plain gross to me.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM

17,354 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Aldi bought TJ's a few years ago. I thought Aldi had a distribution center in Valpo ..
I didn't see this earlier - yes, Aldi has a warehouse in Valpo.

I've had a few friends of friends work there over the years, all women, and apparently, the enviornment is VERY friendly to women - moms especially.

Generous pay, flexible schedules, great benefits (with full health at only 25-30 hrs/wk the last time I heard) - and the day shifts all end with enough time for moms to get their kids from school. The way I understood it, it was knowing done for the benefit of working moms.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 AM

801 posts, read 2,564,973 times
Prices at Jewel in Chesterton aren't bad... when I lived there, I tried WiseWay for my basic shopping needs and wound up back at Jewel. That Jewel has some organics, especially in the dairy section.

Well, as much as we might complain about Gary and its lack of major improvement, the border towns in Illinois have been stagnant for years, too. So if WF is looking at the Illinois 394 or Illinois-side of US30 corridor as a potential source of business when contemplating a St. John location, they would be likely to be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana