U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 35,412 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone. I truly appreciate everything. Trust me the drive-time will not bother me. As I mentioned before I currently drive and hour to work right now for over two years. Prior to that I drove for 1hr 30mins for one full year after college. My main focus is the treatment of my daughters as they attend school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 PM

13,012 posts, read 11,744,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arene View Post
Thank you everyone. I truly appreciate everything. Trust me the drive-time will not bother me. As I mentioned before I currently drive and hour to work right now for over two years. Prior to that I drove for 1hr 30mins for one full year after college. My main focus is the treatment of my daughters as they attend school.
I'll try one more time - just because I know how bad the drive can be and I want to be 100% sure I'm driving () my point home.

It's not just the length of the drive - traffic on I-80 is notoriously horrific with no rhyme, reason or pattern at times and construction is neverending. And we sit right under the lake - lake effect snow adds a whole 'nother level of craptastic to your commute. There have been several times over the years where my husband worked all day in Lake county in the sunshine and no precipitation and returned home to 18 inches of snow in Porter County.

Oh, and I believe the Skyway is $3.00 - each way. (Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong - I'm too lazy to google.)

If I were you, I would most definitely sacrifice square footage to buy into Munster. One of the best school districts in the state, close to shopping, expressways & the South Shore. The time you'll save commuting to both Gary & Chgo can be spent instead watching your girls thrive in after school extracurricular activities.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,873 times
It is always interesting to me when people tell me that they are afraid of NW Indiana b/c of Gary. These are the same people who live in their trendy lofts a block away from the ghettoes in the city, or living on the North Shore just one town away from North Chicago or Waukegan. Same thing. Gary keeps to itself; it is a tragedy, and too bad, but it generally keeps to itself. I recommend Munster; great place, close to everything, and great housing/schools. We have a kid in the schools. I was skeptical at first, thinking it was just boosterism when I heard everyone tell me what great schools they had. But, I am so happy with it; they keep us all involved and my child is thriving. He was at Forest Ridge for a bit, did not like it and sort of went into a shell. Just not for him. But the Munster schools have him going great.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 49,633 times
I'm a Munster resident, and I've got to jump in here and try to save you the misery. My husband commutes to Lincoln Park Zoo, and on a bad day it can take him well over an hour +. And we live just off of Calumet and Ridge, which is about as close as you can get in NWI and still be in Indiana. If you move to Valpo or Chesterton, your commute will be MISERABLE. Crown Point will be a crappy commute, too. Unpredictably so, and it's not getting anything but worse.

I won't kid you, you aren't going to find the kind of diversity you'd find in Oak Park, Evanston, or good parts of Chicago in NWI. But any of the communities mentioned here will be welcoming and comfortable to your family. Munster has some diversity, and the folks that live here tend to be Chicago mid-upper class professionals, so they are educated and expect tolerance for diversity. And your resale values are pretty protected here due to the closeness to Chicago and the incredible schools.

RE Gary: I'm from Detroit, and I get you here: but everyone is right, spillover really isn't much of a problem in Munster, Dyer, Schererville, etc. Highland schools are a bit blah, so I'd avoid there, but I've never had a single problem in Gary. And trust me, I've seen the worst kind of urban blight you can imagine. I feel completely safe here, and it's a marvelous region for raising a family. Very kid-centered. We don't miss Chicago at ALL.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana