U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 35,007 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in the process of making arrangements to relocate for an employment position. Looking for a home in the 275-300K price range. I will be working in Chicago, IL downtown and Gary, IN, a 30/70 mix. I am a business professional and desire to have a safe place for my family to stay. My concern is my wife and I are black. We have two daughters. Our oldest is entering school this fall. I have heard that outside of Gary the public is not accepting of blacks (aka African-Americans, I perfer black). I am interested in the Crown Point, IN area is it safe for blacks? Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM

2,138 posts, read 5,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arene View Post
Hello, I am in the process of making arrangements to relocate for an employment position. Looking for a home in the 275-300K price range. I will be working in Chicago, IL downtown and Gary, IN, a 30/70 mix. I am a business professional and desire to have a safe place for my family to stay. My concern is my wife and I are black. We have two daughters. Our oldest is entering school this fall. I have heard that outside of Gary the public is not accepting of blacks (aka African-Americans, I perfer black). I am interested in the Crown Point, IN area is it safe for blacks? Thank you
You will be fine in the area. The public is very accepting of Blacks. The public (this means everyone regardless of race/ethnicity) is NOT accepting of GHETTO behavior or TRASHY behavior regardless of who it is.

Regarding Crown Point, make sure you are in Center Township and not Ross Township. Crown Point residents in Center Township go to Crown Point schools while those in Ross Township attend Merrillville schools (not the best). If you want anymore information, I will be glad to help!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the assistance. Do you have any information dealing with race relations in Valapariso, IN. THank you.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM

43,447 posts, read 18,458,624 times
Quote:
Thank you for the assistance. Do you have any information dealing with race relations in Valapariso, IN. THank you.
I live in Valparaiso, near the downtown courthouse square, in a racially diverse neighborhood. All is well. Valpo school system is excellent. Valpo's a great city. I was born and raised in Gary; have been in Valpo since 1987. I have a 45-minute morning drive (a little longer in the evening) to my job in NW Gary. Valpo offers daily bus service to downtown Chicago. There is also the South Shore train to Chicago, which you can pick up in Chesterton, 15-20 mins. north of Valpo.

City web site: Welcome to the City of Valparaiso, Indiana Homepage

Chicago bus info: Chicago DASH (http://ci.valparaiso.in.us/residents/chicagodash/chicagodash.htm - broken link)

Good luck in your search for a new home!

Pam

Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Thank you PJ8. I appreciate the assistance. I have been viewing items on the net since leaving the office at 5pm. I am so very stressed about this situation. I just want the best for my daughters.
thank you .

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 AM

809 posts, read 2,196,821 times
Hi Arene - welcome to Northwest Indiana, I think you'll like it here. Throwing in my two cents, I would agree that Crown Point and Valparaiso are nice communities with good schools that would tolerate blacks. As long as you're respectful of your neighbors and take care of your property, race shouldn't matter in this area anymore.

However, if you will be working in downtown Chicago occasionally and in Gary the remainder of the time, wouldn't it make the most sense to live in between the two? The commute to Chicago from Crown Point and Valparaiso to downtown is painful. I would recommend looking into Highland, Munster, Dyer, or Schererville. You will have under a 30 min drive to work in Gary, and at most an hour or so trip to Chicago on the days you work downtown. $275-300k will be able to buy you a nice house in these towns and you will be living in a welcoming, safe area with good schools that makes your commute to work, both Chicago and Gary, very reasonable. I commute downtown every day so I'd be happy to help you with any other questions you may have. Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM

12,906 posts, read 11,580,825 times
Quote:
That drive from Crown Point to Chicago with any kind of frequency during commuting hours is going to make you want to stab your eyeballs out. Valparaiso would be even worse.

I would focus on Munster - nearer to Gary for that commute, and much closer to the South Shore train line for your Chicago commute.

Another option might be Chesterton - which has a South Shore station and is much closer to the expressways for ease of travel to both Gary & Chicago.

For your home search, use www.gniarmls.com. It's the real estate agent's public portal to our local MLS - you'll see exactly what the agent's see in their listings, save for personal & private information.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM

2,138 posts, read 5,118,347 times
I agree with the suggestion of Munster. You will like it here. The only reason I did not suggest it is because it seemed as though you were set on Crown Point. But if you are open to other options, Munster would be an excellent choice! Depending on the type of house/land size you want, different towns may be better choices. In your price range, the majoirty of homes in Munster will be 60s to 80s quad-levels, tri-levels, ranches and two-storys. You may find the occasional home that may be only 10-15 years old. If you want a new home though, it may be hard to find in Munster in that price range. If you want a home on a bigger piece of land, it might cost you some commute time OR expanding your budget. If a sizeable piece of land is a MUST, then you should probably stick to Crown Point. If you don't mind having a relatively smaller lot, Munster may be perfect for you! Just some things to think about. Glad to help!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM

17,696 posts, read 38,136,238 times
I'm sorry that you were given misinformation about race relations in NWI. Shame on them. I'd be interested in specific information that you were given. If you are going to be going into Chicago for the 30 split, I'd recommend Munster for the schools. You can do your research on the Indiana Dept of Ed website ... here's a list of Lake County schools:

http://compass.doe.in.gov/SearchResu...archLabel=Lake

And Porter:

http://compass.doe.in.gov/SearchResu...chLabel=Porter

Good luck and welcome to Indiana!!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Thank you, Svillechris, Chuckity, and Northwest Indiana. I appreciate everything. I have viewed homes in Munster but could not locate any that fit my price range and accomodate my wife's desires. An hour travel time to DT Chicago, IL does not bother me. I currently drive an hour to work now. Im truly impressed with Valparaiso's and Crown Point's school corporation. We perfer private schools but it appears that most include religious teachings and we feel its our job to supply religious teachings to our daughters.

One thing that does frighten me is the closeness of Gary to Merrillville, Highland, or Schererville. I honestly do not want my family shopping and or living near Gary. I apologize for my feelings to the citizens of Gary, IN, but from personal experience I desire to keep my children and wife away from there. That being said this is an excellent career opportunity for me and Valparaiso and Crown Point schools are excellent within the state of Indiana. [/SIZE][/font]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana