Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times

Advertisements

It's been forever since I've used VB station as I usually get off on Randolph. I'm planning on taking my 90 yo grandma to see the Nutcracker next weekend and am trying to decide between SS and driving. What I need to know if the approximate walking distance from the train platform to getting on Michigan. I emailed NITCD and they said 600 ft. That seemed low to me soI wanted to get another opinion. Thanks SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
If I'm understanding the question correctly, you basically are asking how long your 90 year old grandmother will have to walk after she gets off the train at the Van Buren stop, before you can get a cab on Michigan Ave. right? I would say that 600 feet is about right, maybe on the high end.

Basically, when you get off the train, you have two options. You can walk north on the platform, up several stairs, onto Jackson, and take that west 1 block to Michigan. OR You can get off the train, walk down several stairs and go underground, walk up a slope that may be difficult for a 90 year old woman, then walk up the stairs to get to ground level on the west side of Michigan Avenue.

For a 90 year old woman (assuming her health and mobility is similar to most 90 year old women), the walk from the train to Michigan Ave. may not be very easy and will include ramps and/or several stairs, which may be icey. Frankly, I would just drive up there if I were you and pay the $25 for parking at the Grant Park garage underground. Besides, you'd be paying probably $20 or so round trip for you and your grandmother anyway riding the South Shore. So, the difference in cost is trivial compared to the potential issues that might arise having your grandmother walking several hundred feet.

Source: I use the South Shore and get off at the VB stop every day.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 PM

She is VERY good for 90 but I agree that driving is preferable. However, she is a nervous person who always thinks we're about to crash. So for her nerves, she'd prefer the train. If it's not snowing, I'll just drive. One more question, how far is the Grant St Park from theater, should I drop her off in front of Auditorium and park myself? I'm sorry, I either get off on Randolph or get rides, I never drive myself. I know where the parking place is at but I've never paid attention on how/where to enter. Thanks SO much.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 AM

which theater are you going to?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Auditorium. I don't care about price, just whatever is closest.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Grant Park South parking garage is your best bet. Take Michigan Ave. and go underground, right between Van Buren and Jackson. Once you park and get back up to ground level (they have elevators), just walk a block south on Michigan and you'll be right there. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana