Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 12,302 times

Advertisements

Was recently offered a job in the Whiting/East Chicago area. Would be starting in the summer. Trying to figure out if it would be possible to live in Chicago and drive to work every day. Mainly trying to gauge traffic, how long the commute would take, where to live in Chicago to make the commute more manageable, etc.

I'll be 23 and fresh out of school making about $65k, being able to live in Chicago would probably push me towards accepting this offer. No offense to those of you from NW Indiana, just don't really think I would enjoy living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 AM

17,711 posts, read 14,812,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umich07 View Post
Was recently offered a job in the Whiting/East Chicago area. Would be starting in the summer. Trying to figure out if it would be possible to live in Chicago and drive to work every day. Mainly trying to gauge traffic, how long the commute would take, where to live in Chicago to make the commute more manageable, etc.

I'll be 23 and fresh out of school making about $65k, being able to live in Chicago would probably push me towards accepting this offer. No offense to those of you from NW Indiana, just don't really think I would enjoy living there.
Live in the Hyde Park or South Loop area and commute via the Skyway. Depending on how close you are to the expressways, your commute, while costly, would probably take only a 1/2 an hour most days.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:26 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,802,469 times
ditto on hyde park ... but you never know what you may find in the loop ..

Old 11-25-2010, 11:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,434,587 times
For someone new to Chicago I'd give South Loop the edge over Hyde Park. You'd be closer to Chicago's nightlife & it's not as surrounded by questionable areas in every direction (minus the lake) like Hyde Park. Hyde Park is a little closer to where you are commuting, however. Either way best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umich07 View Post

Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM

279 posts, read 761,565 times
I know I'm responding kind of late, maybe too late for the OP, but the commute from Chicago to Whiting/East Chicago is very doable. I did it for a while. Even during rush hour, it would usually take me no more than 30 minutes from the Loop to East Chicago taking the Skyway. The only thing is there is a considerable toll on the Skyway to have to pay every day - I don't remember exactly, but I think it's about $4 each way on the Skyway between the Dan Ryan and Cline Ave. However, a 30 minute commute is pretty good for Chicago.

I would also recommend not to live in Hyde Park, it may save you a few minutes, but I think someone right of college is probably looking for an area with a bit "more action". Look into the South Loop, the Loop, or the West Loop. Even River North / Streeterville wouldn't be too bad if you have easy access to Lake Shore Drive. Any of those areas will also give you much better access to public transportation and to the rest of the city than Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana