Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

It blew me away to see the additional posts! My grandma, Lona Agnes Wilson was also a Dunkard from the Plymouth and moved to SW MI as did some other family members but now she and they are buried back in Plymouth. I surely remember the picnics/reunions. I have a great photo of my grandpa and Roscoe laughing wearing silly hats. Actually I think they liked the hats and I just found them silly. So many years ago in much better times. I thank God nearly everyday for having had the opportunity to have been brought up with this faith which has sustained me all of my years. I have searched for years for a church these days that would teach the old time religion but have failed to find one. So very good to hear from everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Default People's church

Dr Wilson was the pastor of the 1st EUB CHUCH In South Bend before he started the People's Church. He was an amazing man !! God used him in my life as a a young man to make me aware of what God wanted to do in our lives! His expository preaching made me aware of God's desire for all our lives ! I served 40 years in ministry because God used him to influence my life . I will have the song he often sang during a sermon "Sunrise Tomorrow" at my funeral. Praise God for faithful servants who preached the Word ! Jim Laffoon Alma,mi

Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Hello, I found this thread while trying to find information on the people church. My grandfather, Earl Leonhard was one of the founders and also the president of the church for many years. I myself spent many Sundays at the church, mostly in Sunday school as I am 29 years old. I read my grandmother some of these postings and she informed me that Mark you are the son of Keith and Marge who I knew well as a kid and thought very fondly of them as a child. My Grandfather passed away in 2010, he loved that church and I was wondering if any of you might have any memories of him?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 AM

41 posts, read 92,139 times
Default Another Past Member

My family (The Webster's) also attended this church for many years, and now at age 65 also look back on these times with very fond memories. Sunday morning and evening activities, youth group, picnics at Wilhaven.
As we still live in South Bend, I had made it a point to thank some of the original founders of the church when I had
opportunity to see them around town. Earl Leonard was one of these special people...I remember the day I drove by
Earl's home & seeing him out on his riding mower, stopped to say hello and thank him for his many years of service and
example to us as young people. Their South side home was always open to us in the youth group as we enjoyed the pool.

So glad I found this thread...lots of good memories running through my mind !

Last edited by ScottyDog; 09-01-2013 at 04:09 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Scottydog, is your father Bill Webster? I also remember your parents very well. They came to my graduation party and I continued to see Bill at the church on Miami for many years (the name escapes me). My grandma Ruth filled in the pool a couple of years ago but I can only imagine how many people enjoyed a swim there over the years, thank you for sharing!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 AM

41 posts, read 92,139 times
Yes, parents are Bill/Barb-now ages 90/87. They were close to the Wilson's over the years.
They attended Grace UM Church after People's Church, and now are at Trinity Church on
Miami Rd.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
currently
First Unitarian Church South Bend Indiana

This is probably the most beautiful church I've seen in the South Bend Area.

photograph
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31929081@N08/3377246559/

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 09-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: error

Old 04-01-2015, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
Hello: I am new to this blog. However, I have been doing a history of my father Theodore E. Miller, who in 1938 was the Church of the Brethren pastor. He had a radio ministry for about 2 yrs on WSBT and WFAM, South Bend. The stations are
no longer there, or have other formats. I think that he was guest minister on a radio show "THE SUNDAY SCHOOL OF THE
AIR,Sunday morn. 8 to 9 AM on WFAM 1200 Kc dial 14. The program was sponsored by the First United Brethren Church
at south and St Joseph St. with Roscoe F. Wilson, Pastor. Later he would move to California, where in the 1940's the
Brethren church got too liberal for him and he was part of an independent church. contact me at genemiller37@yahoo.com
Gene

Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,397 times
Sue Pratt, I have so enjoyed reading these posts about Peoples Church. Mrs. Lola Layman that you said was your childrens choir director is a dear friend of our family's. She is well into her 80's and still talks about how it was at the church. Her heart is there as well as so many wonderful memories. She can still sing, too! My family and I attended Peoples Church in the late 70's and early 80's. It was a small congregation, but they tried to keep it alive, but expenses were so high. We had two or three pastors in that short time. Phil and Lola are still faithful to the Lord and are special to us. I will call her and see if she remembers you. She will be thrilled that there has been dialog about "her" church. I remember her playing that huge pipe organ...and those windows...you could get lost in them they are so beautiful! Thank you for posting about a church that was so dear to so many. Lynne Charles Davis

Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,397 times
Whitneytoll and ScottyDog,
This will be so wonderful to tell Phil and Lola Layman about all of these posts. I knew your grandparents and loved them! They were so faithful. It was either your mom or aunt who used to sing so beautifully at the church. I only attended there for about 8 years, but am still friends with the Laymans. Hope to hear more memories of way back when..... @Jelafoon, weren't you involved in AWANA? Approved Workman Are Not Ashamed! what a wonderful program, loved it as a kid when I attended Mayflower Baptist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana