Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times

Advertisements

This advice is for everyone moving to the area, not just yourself - take time to actually visit the schools instead of going on ratings and reviews.

Make an appointment with a school administrator, and ask to spend part of a class period in a classroom in the high school and middle school. It is worth your time to do that in person, and in more than one school district.

You'll find a vastly different atmosphere in each school district. You'll find some are welcoming, some are modern, some are serious about learning, and some that haven't been renovated (building or attitude) in the last 30 years. You'll find some schools where principals walk the halls and know their students & teachers, and others where its obvious that administrators aren't in touch. Some feel like they are on lock-down all the time, and others are very relaxed and have a community atmosphere.

It's a matter of opinion which ones you'll like the best, but at least you'll be able to make that choice based on your actual perceptions. Remember, you and your kids have to be able to live with that school system for up to 12 years, so make a good choice for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM

17,412 posts, read 14,642,907 times
If I had your budget, needed to work in Merrillville I would move to one of three places:

1. Shorewood subdivision in Valparaiso. Older subdivision, mature trees, rolling land, beautiful non-cookie cutter large homes. This is probably the original Porter county executive subdivision. It's located right off of Rt. 30 - straight shot, probably no more than 15-20 min. to anywhere in Merrillville. It's not Valpo schools, but Wheeler. And while smaller, Wheeler is an excellent school system - one of the best. With your budget you could most likely find a beautiful home on the lake.

2. Bridlewood subdivsion in Valparaiso. Again, located very near Rt. 30 with easy access to Merrillville. Valparaiso schools - from personal experience (my kids go to Valpo) a top notch school system with a truckload of parental involvement and teachers who go the extra mile. Some of the homes in this subdivision are jaw dropping. Lots are more sprawling than Shorewood.

3. Build on acreage in Center Township in Valpo. If you want a more "rural" lifestyle and a custom home, your budget will allow you to do this here. Center Township will give you Valparaiso schools and all the benefits.

Good luck!

ETA: I have nothing against Crown Point or Munster - both of these towns would give you the benefits of an excellent school district too. I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to Valpo in the early 00's and love the lifestyle of Porter County. I've grown accustomed to a little elbow room.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM

17,412 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I just realized I responded to a post that was a year and a half old.

I've never understood why people feel the need to dredge up and re-start such an old post ... I'm quite sure that the OP has made a decision since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana